Purple Alphas 103L

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Purple Alphas 103L

Post by aqua71 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:32 pm

So, I stripped the Drive Shaft on my Alphas and now that I need to replace it, I believe I have the following two (2) options (please correct me if I’m wrong - or - if other options exist):

1) Use the Drive Shaft from the TD SOL-L and call it a day
2) Use the Drive Shaft from the SV105HSL --- and add parts to convert it to a clicking drag

Will both of my options work? If so, and I decide to go with option (2) which additional parts (aside from the handle and star drag) will be necessary for the conversion?

Thanks.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Purple Alphas 103L

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:08 pm

I haven't checked the driveshaft on my SV105, so I don't know for sure if that will work, but if you use a Sol driveshaft you will add weight. The Sol driveshafts are brass while the Alphas (JDM) use aluminum. I swapped my sol for an alphas shaft just for weight savings and IIRC it was between 1/4 and 3/8 oz different.

You can source an Alphas shaft from Plat. Matter of fact I need to order one too :)

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:31 pm

Plat has them in stock. I actually just ordered one that is on the way.

You do however have a 3rd better option....mill the drive shaft down and tap the drive shaft to accept a Steez locking bolt. I've done it on 2x TD-Z's so far. No more stripped threads.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:54 am

iabass8 wrote:Plat has them in stock. I actually just ordered one that is on the way.

You do however have a 3rd better option....mill the drive shaft down and tap the drive shaft to accept a Steez locking bolt. I've done it on 2x TD-Z's so far. No more stripped threads.
This is a great option if you know someone who can run a lathe, easy to do, saves the driveshaft, and looks sick.

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 am

Guys, I appreciate the feedback.

a) I realize the SOL drive shaft is brass (and heavier), but that's not a major deal breaker for me
b) I wasn't aware that PLAT had the drive shaft in stock. @ iabass8- how much did it run you including shipping?
c) Since I don't have a friend who's a machinist, having the drive shaft modified would be cost prohibitive so that's not a viable option for me
d) The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward installing the SV105HSL drive shaft, but I was hoping someone here can confirm the conversion

eSReels
Angler
Angler

Post by eSReels » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:10 pm

aqua71 wrote:So, I stripped the Drive Shaft on my Alphas and now that I need to replace it, I believe I have the following two (2) options (please correct me if I’m wrong - or - if other options exist):

1) Use the Drive Shaft from the TD SOL-L and call it a day
2) Use the Drive Shaft from the SV105HSL --- and add parts to convert it to a clicking drag

Will both of my options work? If so, and I decide to go with option (2) which additional parts (aside from the handle and star drag) will be necessary for the conversion?

Thanks.
For (2) I don't know if SV105HSL works but you also need a casting control cap. One with clicker is smaller.

Other option is to buy a clicker conversion kit from The Tackle Trap.
http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_pa ... ts_id=3806
You still need handle and star drag.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:38 pm

aqua71 wrote:Guys, I appreciate the feedback.

a) I realize the SOL drive shaft is brass (and heavier), but that's not a major deal breaker for me
b) I wasn't aware that PLAT had the drive shaft in stock. @ iabass8- how much did it run you including shipping?
c) Since I don't have a friend who's a machinist, having the drive shaft modified would be cost prohibitive so that's not a viable option for me
d) The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning toward installing the SV105HSL drive shaft, but I was hoping someone here can confirm the conversion
20$ total from platt

aqua71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by aqua71 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 am

Thanks guys.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

the tackle trap sells the conversion and i did it on my sol. No overseas shipping = long wait time and the guys there were a big help when i did it.