ZPI or type-r+ spool for Zillion sv tws

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

ZPI or type-r+ spool for Zillion sv tws

Post by vncnt » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Picking up a Zillion sv TWS soon. Looking for opinions on what spool to go with. I’m looking at either a ZPI NRC001-M or a tdz type r+ spool. I’ll be mostly pitching 3/8 - 1/2 oz jigs and creatures with 12 lb fluoro. I’d like to be able to make a long cast when necessary.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: ZPI or type-r+ spool for Zillion sv tws

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:33 pm

Is the stock spool not pretty well compared to either of those options??? I know and assume those two are better but I really wonder by how much... That ZPI just keeps getting talked about more and more though...

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:17 am

I think you will be impressed with the SV spool. It is a great spool especially for pitching. I would not personally change the spool at all. If you are dead set on changing it out, I personally would go with the ZPI spool as I have always found the Type R+ spool to be cantankerous.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 am

I would fish the stock spool for a while first. I like it more then the ZPI-M. While the ZPI is a great spool, you are not gaining an advantage over the G1.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 am

TommyG wrote:I would fish the stock spool for a while first. I like it more then the ZPI-M. While the ZPI is a great spool, you are not gaining an advantage over the G1.
I agree that the stock spool is worth a whirl and a fine spool. In my hands, the ZPI spool is a significant upgrade all the way across the board in both the Zillion SV TW and Steez SV TW platforms. I prefer the PG to the M spool in general however. The M spool is really much more finesse oriented and is a little bit faster than the PG spool. The PG spool can easily cast/pitch pretty light baits and holds plenty of line to be more versatile. The other great thing about the new ZPI spools is that they come with a set of ZPI spool bearings. We just got some more PG spools finally, the M's won't be back aside from the last blue one, until the end of March or so...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

vncnt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vncnt » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:02 am

Thanks, guys. I’ll give the stock spool a shot.