Drive and pinion gear rough under load ...is there a way to RESTORE?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Re: Drive and pinion gear rough under load ...is there a way to RESTORE?

Post by Johnredd11 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 pm

Yes it did feel smoother but like i said it wasnt a very smooth reel even when it was new. The only wear i noticed was where the aplication of the film didnt go so well on the main gear but none on the pinion. The coating will be a flat gray when you first apply it but then will become glossy once it breaks in. Yes i used mobile 28 red grease.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:06 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:Yes it did feel smoother but like i said it wasnt a very smooth reel even when it was new. The only wear i noticed was where the aplication of the film didnt go so well on the main gear but none on the pinion. The coating will be a flat gray when you first apply it but then will become glossy once it breaks in. Yes i used mobile 28 red grease.
Thanks.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:08 pm

Is this the stuff you use?

http://www.skygeek.com/sandstrom-28a-so ... 6147d.html

Sorry for the first link. Brain fart.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:28 am

Johnredd11 wrote:Yes it did feel smoother but like i said it wasnt a very smooth reel even when it was new. The only wear i noticed was where the aplication of the film didnt go so well on the main gear but none on the pinion. The coating will be a flat gray when you first apply it but then will become glossy once it breaks in. Yes i used mobile 28 red grease.
I sprayed two sets of main and pinion gears last night with the Sandstrom 28A. I used a hair dryer on them between coats, and they look good. I brought them into the house to dry overnight, and am going to install one set into a reel today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:14 pm

mark poulson wrote:
I sprayed two sets of main and pinion gears last night with the Sandstrom 28A. I used a hair dryer on them between coats, and they look good. I brought them into the house to dry overnight, and am going to install one set into a reel today. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I put the sprayed main gear and pinion that I sprayed into the reel that they originally came out of.
I had sprayed both with two coats of the Sandstrom 28A. It looks like graphite when it's sprayed.
I tried some long pitches and a few casts in front of my house. I wanted to see how it would perform with no other lube.
The reel felt smooth, but kind of hollow, and, when I opened the reel back up to see how the material had held up, There were places on the outside of the gear teeth that were bare, but not down in the gear gullets or side faces.
So I added some Hot Sauce gear grease.
The reel is now smoother than the other two reels of the same model and vintage that I have.
Bear in mind, I had two sets of "used" gears that I had replaced, and I didn't keep the main and pinion gears together as pairs, so there's a 50/50 chance that the gears weren't a matching pair.
I don't yet know how long this lube system will hold up, but I'm going to find out, one way or the other.
I just finished cleaning the third gear set that I have from that reel model, plus two gear sets from different model reels, and sprayed them, too, this time with four coats.
The next time one of my other reels feels "geary", I plan to swap the gears out with some sprayed gears.

Johnredd11
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnredd11 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:55 pm

Im glad to hear that it worked out for you. I noticed the same thing on my drive gear but not the pinion. I also did sevaral coats on mine. I was definatly interested in seeing how it worked on gears that werent already crappy feeling. What reels did you coat if you dont mind me asking?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:22 pm

Johnredd11 wrote:Im glad to hear that it worked out for you. I noticed the same thing on my drive gear but not the pinion. I also did sevaral coats on mine. I was definatly interested in seeing how it worked on gears that werent already crappy feeling. What reels did you coat if you dont mind me asking?
I actually did coat some gears that were crappy feeling, and that I had replaced
The ones I did first are from an Quantum EXO 100 7.3/1 gear ratio.
I had replaced the gears because this one reel had gotten caught under the trolling motor when I pulled it back up into the boat, and I had to stand on the TM while my partner pulled on the cord to get it to release. Once I got the TM deployed, I saw that the reel's handle had been wedged up under the TM. I actually bent the handle when I stood on the TM, and had to straighten it back out when I got home. I got the handle back to where I can hardly tell where it was bent, but the reel felt rough and geary after that, so I replaced the gears, and it was better.
It is even better now, like a new reel. O:) O:) O:)