Greasing frame bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Greasing frame bearings

Post by Mike son » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:45 am

I cleaned out a Curado 70 after the season ended that really needed it, broke it down to the frame, etc. I removed the shields on all the frame bearings, flushed them, and packed one side of the bearing with Shimano Ace RB 2 star drag grease. The reel is smooth but a little too stiff feeling as I crank. I crank it every so often as it sits on my desk at home to work in the grease but I feel it is too stiff like I added too much grease. I know you all could recommend different products but I'd like to stick with what I've got.

What do you all recommend for the amount of grease I pack the bearings with? Would a pinhead size amount of grease worked into the bearing be too little? Could I thin down the grease with some bantam oil? I plan to remove the shields again off the frame bearings, clean, and relube them this weekend.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Greasing frame bearings

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am

I don't use shimano grease or oil....but can answer based on servicing a few hundred pounds of reels over the years.

The handle shaft support bearing for saltwater reels is what I call the bastard bearing.

It always seems to be the one that rusts and it's a pain to get too in some reels.
((so it's always a bearing that I pay special attention to fresh or salt))

Since it's connected in a 1:1 ratio with the handle. It can be greased and shouldn't make the reel too sluggish.

It can however make it not continue to spin when you spin the handle and let go. While table top fishing/ daydreaming :)

I grease them. On my freshwater baitcasters I use corrosion x grease thinned with corrosion x oil.

For saltwater reels I tend to just pack em with straight grease.

I pack both sides of the bearing full

"X ship" or frame side pinion support bearings for fw reels I use TSI 321. Handle sideplate pinion support bearings I use the same

For saltwater reels I go cut corrosion x grease/ oil

Lately i've been experimenting with Aqua shield grease cut with corrosion x (aldebaran bfs xg and a few other new reels) Diggin the results

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm

After thoroughly cleaning, I have begun to dip my frame bearings in TSI 301, gently blow to speed the solvent evaporation leaving TSI 321. When I did pack them I used Yamaha Blue Marine grease or Super Lube.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by iabass8 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:25 pm

I just started dipping mine in a 90wt lucas oil full synthetic gear oil. Have it in in a TD-Z and a Steez SV right now. Smooth as butter and effortless to spin. Going to be trying 321 once it arrives to compare.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:43 am

Mike son wrote:I know you all could recommend different products but I'd like to stick with what I've got.

What do you all recommend for the amount of grease I pack the bearings with?
](*,)

I put about a pin size head amount of grease in each bearing and worked it in by turning the bearing on a dowel. Put it back together and it's smooth as silk. The problem I had before was that I put too much grease into each bearing and the resistance when cranking the handle was too 'stiff' while fishing.