A different type of bearing question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: A different type of bearing question

Post by DougL58 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:37 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:I've found that tungsten disulfide "Impingment" which is believe is the proper term. Last for awhile for bass reels.
But high speed long rang conventionals. Not so much.. (500-600-700' plus) I've also confirmed this with other distance casters.
Not sure what you mean exactly here. My experience, have only used on bass reels. I get full season before needing to service bearings again, but I do switch between 20 or 30 reels throughout the year. Experimenting with standard Daiwa bearings, I remove the shields, clean and apply the WS2. I find such a difference in quality on these bearings. Some spin like crap and some, with the ws2, spin as good as abec 7s. I use abec7 on all my reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 pm

DougL58 wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:I've found that tungsten disulfide "Impingment" which is believe is the proper term. Last for awhile for bass reels.
But high speed long rang conventionals. Not so much.. (500-600-700' plus) I've also confirmed this with other distance casters.
Not sure what you mean exactly here. My experience, have only used on bass reels. I get full season before needing to service bearings again, but I do switch between 20 or 30 reels throughout the year. Experimenting with standard Daiwa bearings, I remove the shields, clean and apply the WS2. I find such a difference in quality on these bearings. Some spin like crap and some, with the ws2, spin as good as abec 7s. I use abec7 on all my reels.
Yeah...what you describe is exactly my experience as well especially if rotating a bunch or reels.
WS2 will last a long time for short range work. (lets face it....90% of what is thrown for fw bass on 7' rods isn't going much further than 150 feet. And depending on brake settings....High rpms are really only there for about 2 seconds per cast.

I just pointed out limitations or downfalls of it. Mainly becauseif you google search WS2 or tungsten disulfide for fishing reels....there are very few discussions....SO I figured I'd bring up a surfcasters perspective as well. When using long rods and throwing long range well over 100 yards. The coating doesn't last under the load, rpm and heat.
I know some guys bake their bearings to heat em up and then coat them...Some use solvents and spin em, some apply dry. Those guys throw farther then I do (zziplex tourney casting sticks 700') and they went back to liquid lubes.

As a comparision.
If I put oust or rocket fuel on a bass reel. I'll get 30 hours out of it....on a distance surf setup I'll get 20 casts. Tournament casters probably less.

Just offering another perspective is all.

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by DougL58 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:08 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:
DougL58 wrote:
Yeah...what you describe is exactly my experience as well especially if rotating a bunch or reels.
WS2 will last a long time for short range work. (lets face it....90% of what is thrown for fw bass on 7' rods isn't going much further than 150 feet. And depending on brake settings....High rpms are really only there for about 2 seconds per cast.

I just pointed out limitations or downfalls of it. Mainly becauseif you google search WS2 or tungsten disulfide for fishing reels....there are very few discussions....SO I figured I'd bring up a surfcasters perspective as well. When using long rods and throwing long range well over 100 yards. The coating doesn't last under the load, rpm and heat.
I know some guys bake their bearings to heat em up and then coat them...Some use solvents and spin em, some apply dry. Those guys throw farther then I do (zziplex tourney casting sticks 700') and they went back to liquid lubes.

As a comparision.
If I put oust or rocket fuel on a bass reel. I'll get 30 hours out of it....on a distance surf setup I'll get 20 casts. Tournament casters probably less.

Just offering another perspective is all.
Thanks for the detail. Makes sense. Works great on baitcast reels for me, bass fishing.