Stripped screw

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stripped screw

Post by masterbass » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 am

I stripped the side plate screw and even a flat screw driver won't work. What should I do? Next question, there is another screw that's hard to get ro where the pawn cap blocks it enough to make it a funny angle so please enlighten me. Last question, can I replace the stripped screw with something from the hardware store?

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Stripped screw

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:34 am

Try using wiha drivers, they are the best and i never strip screws.

You can also remove the stripped screw depending on size by drilling it out a bit and tapping it. or get a special tool on amazon.

You can orders screws from manufacturer or hedgehog.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm

Try this - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Prec ... FeEALw_wcB

Or these - https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Scre ... F145-127-1

Order the screw from the manufacturer, you won't find it at the hardware store, Lowe's or Home Depot. Your only other chance is if you have a really good hobby or model train store nearby - RC cars & model trains share similar hardware using tiny machine screws.

Last, get a proper set of Wiha drivers like was mentioned already.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:54 am

Wiha and I've come to really like Wera.

Oddly enough heard a few years ago someone digging the pozidrives and grabbed a couple. Man they grip...and they dont even mar the black coating that come on many of the screws.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 am

You have to remove the nose piece of most reels to get to the pawl cap, then turn the handle til the levelwind is all the way to one side of the reel.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.