Carbontex Drag Washers

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
tacklejunkie2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Carbontex Drag Washers

Post by tacklejunkie2 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 pm

Does anyone out there know of a Youtube video which shows the drag upgrade (carbontex) on a low profile baitcaster? I've found several for spinning reels, but nothing for baitcasters.

I purchased a Daiwa kit from TTT and the kit has three washers in it. It appears that two of the washers are the same size and the other is slightly smaller. When I took my Daiwa reel apart, it only has one drag washer in it. The reel is a SS SV. Maybe that's the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how these three washers are assembled (sequence)?

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Carbontex Drag Washers

Post by Sore Thumb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Have you contacted TTT?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 am

Smaller one will be between the clutch return plate the one with the outer cut-outs and the main drive gear, the second will be in the actual drive gear and under the stainless pressure top plate.

Only other thing i could think of if they supplied two is check their respective thicknesses - use a set of callipers and measure the thickness of the original and the two of the same diameter - use the same dimensional washer.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:56 am

tacklejunkie2 wrote:Does anyone out there know of a Youtube video which shows the drag upgrade (carbontex) on a low profile baitcaster? I've found several for spinning reels, but nothing for baitcasters.

I purchased a Daiwa kit from TTT and the kit has three washers in it. It appears that two of the washers are the same size and the other is slightly smaller. When I took my Daiwa reel apart, it only has one drag washer in it. The reel is a SS SV. Maybe that's the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on how these three washers are assembled (sequence)?
If you purchased a Daiwa #1 kit from us, it will not work in the SS SV, as that was a single drag stack, instead of multi disc. The kit you will need is the PIXY kit, which includes the metal drag washers.

garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by garza7585 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:17 pm

Reviving this thread to try and get clarification on the proper install for Carbontex in an SS SV.

I have one that I will be doing some maintenance on and bought the Smoothdrag kit #1 from Tackle Trap as that was what I thought I needed. Like the OP said, there are carbon washers for the drag but its a single drag stack. I've looking into the Pixy kit with the washers but the main drive gear does not have the slots for the washers to go in.

So, how does one upgrade the drag on the SS SV?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:09 pm

garza7585 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:17 pm
Reviving this thread to try and get clarification on the proper install for Carbontex in an SS SV.

I have one that I will be doing some maintenance on and bought the Smoothdrag kit #1 from Tackle Trap as that was what I thought I needed. Like the OP said, there are carbon washers for the drag but its a single drag stack. I've looking into the Pixy kit with the washers but the main drive gear does not have the slots for the washers to go in.

So, how does one upgrade the drag on the SS SV?
The pixy kit was for the ss sv 105 which ran a multi drag stack like the pixy, ss sv 103 was a single drag washer. I’m like 99% sure the ss sv 103 already has carbon drags so upgrading to carbontex isn’t really gonna do much if you’re trying to get more drag pressure to fix the kind of weak drag. The only way to get a noticeable drag increase out of that reel is to do one of the various gearset and corresponding drag stack swaps.