Changing Handle Grip on Riveted Post (Daiwa)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Nor Cal Drifter
Angler
Angler

Changing Handle Grip on Riveted Post (Daiwa)

Post by Nor Cal Drifter » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Just picked up a Daiwa BG 2500. Love the reel, but really prefer more of a finesse grip like what comes on the BG 2000 rather than the power grip "T" style on the BG 2500. Unfortunately the grip is riveted on (only thing so far I dislike about it). I've watched a few videos online showing how to cut the old grip and rivet off and drill it out. Where I'm stuck is how to know what size post to replace it with both in terms of length and correct diameter for the hole that used to be filled by the rivet. Anyone done this before that can offer advice? Thanks.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Changing Handle Grip on Riveted Post (Daiwa)

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 am

That's way too much work and risk for a inexpensive handle on a mid-level reel. I would think that your time is a worth a lot more than that. Buy the cheapest Daiwa spinning handle that has a post with a screw and put an I-shape knob on it. You need to make sure that it is the screw-in style handle from what the Daiwa catalog says.

Nor Cal Drifter
Angler
Angler

Post by Nor Cal Drifter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:11 am

toddmc wrote:That's way too much work and risk for a inexpensive handle on a mid-level reel. I would think that your time is a worth a lot more than that. Buy the cheapest Daiwa spinning handle that has a post with a screw and put an I-shape knob on it. You need to make sure that it is the screw-in style handle from what the Daiwa catalog says.
I like this idea and agree it is the simplest answer, but are all Daiwa screw-in handles interchangeable?

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Nor Cal Drifter wrote:
toddmc wrote:That's way too much work and risk for a inexpensive handle on a mid-level reel. I would think that your time is a worth a lot more than that. Buy the cheapest Daiwa spinning handle that has a post with a screw and put an I-shape knob on it. You need to make sure that it is the screw-in style handle from what the Daiwa catalog says.
I like this idea and agree it is the simplest answer, but are all Daiwa screw-in handles interchangeable?
Daiwa has been going to the screw in handles on more and more spinning reels over the last few years because they have less play and the screw on the opposite side of the old style handle tended to come loose and crack. The new 2500 size screw-in handles should be interchangeable, but I would ask Daiwa before ordering. Somebody on here will probably chime in on which exact model handles will fit what you need. You may find a knob that you like on one of the handles that may be riveted on. The 2000 size handles may fit also, and most of these already have I-shape knobs.
I'm not a fan of the T-shape knobs either. My Ignis Type-R's have the screw in handle with removable RCS knobs, but they are JDM. You could also ask the guys at the tackletrap.com. They probably know which handles will fit what you need because they are a Daiwa dealer and service/parts center.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:54 pm

If you have a local shop that carries the reel i would see if the 2000 handle will screw in to the 2500 reel. If it does just get the part number and order the handle. Cheap easy and nothing is ruined.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 pm

angry john wrote:If you have a local shop that carries the reel i would see if the 2000 handle will screw in to the 2500 reel. If it does just get the part number and order the handle. Cheap easy and nothing is ruined.
What he said.......

Nor Cal Drifter
Angler
Angler

Post by Nor Cal Drifter » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:02 pm

angry john wrote:If you have a local shop that carries the reel i would see if the 2000 handle will screw in to the 2500 reel. If it does just get the part number and order the handle. Cheap easy and nothing is ruined.
Did that. Also confirmed with Daiwa cust service. According to them none of the other reels with a screw in handle will fit the BG. Asked to speak with a reel tech just to be sure but was told they were otherwise occupied. Disappointing.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:05 am

Get ono Daiwa Australia and order a Custom Project handle...

I juat drilled and punched out the handle shaft on my Stradic 5000 FJ - due to that dicky two sized bearing setup and unavailability of a decent OEM knob to suit. Threw on a Chineseium power knob - the process isnt that hard or tools heavy - just a few logical steps along the way.

Also Rays Studio does a handle shaft kit for Shimano and Daiwa if you want to keep the OEM handle look.