Trouble getting knobs shimmed correctly

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Trouble getting knobs shimmed correctly

Post by Houndfish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:58 pm

I have been swapping handles and knobs around on a few of my reels and for some reason I am having a huge issue getting the knobs shimmed up correctly. I am dealing with factory Daiwa handles and knobs in all cases so far.

I have been taking knob A off of handle 1 and trying to mount them on handle 2. I will pull all the parts out and line them up on my bench in order, but when I go to mount them on the new handle I am having two issues;

1)I cannot get the knob screw to lock down while still having the knob able to spin freely. This is the most common issue, but the most I can get it "right" is when it becomes problem 2, which is,
2)The knob screw will lock down, but the knob will have a good bit of up/down play.

So to start with, can someone confirm I have the part order right, I have been doing it like this, based on my observations from taking them apart.

Handle shaft -> Shim(s) -> Bottom Bearing -> void -> Top Bearing -> Shim(s) -> Knob screw

I have tried a adding/removing shims at the top and bottom and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to what I have done when it shifts from problem 1 to problem 2.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Trouble getting knobs shimmed correctly

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 pm

There are different thicknesses of shims. you may have to play with a few combinations to get it just right.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:42 pm

I have .1, .2, and .3mm shims to play with. It just seems like I can stack like a full mm of shims on top of the top bearing and the screw will still not tighten down leaving any knob rotation at all.

Is there a "standard" way to add shims, like am I looking to balance top and bottom, or is it just totally variable from knob to knob?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Houndfish wrote:I have .1, .2, and .3mm shims to play with. It just seems like I can stack like a full mm of shims on top of the top bearing and the screw will still not tighten down leaving any knob rotation at all.

Is there a "standard" way to add shims, like am I looking to balance top and bottom, or is it just totally variable from knob to knob?
You should only use / add shims below the lower bearing. 1st thing that goes on the handle posts. Use however many it takes to alleviate any play / slop, yet still allows the knob to spin as freely as possible.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm

Huh. Most every knob I have had removed has had a single shim below the Lower Bearing and one above the Top Bearing. I have been trying to add them to both spots, that seems like my problem.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 am

Sometimes you are gonna end up in that situation. You may just have to deal with an ever so slight bit of play.
<")))><{

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:21 am

Dish one of the shims, put it between the handle side and bearing - it'll create a loaded washer and remove any residual slop.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 am

Where can you purchase these knob shims?

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:16 am

www.amainhobbies.com they usually have a good selection

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:31 am

I always shim below the bottom bearing against the handle. You also need to make sure the top bearing is seated all the way. Sometimes they dont press all the way down and the screw will tighten onto the bearing and prevent the knob from spinning. Usually happens with aftermarket knobs.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Wow, thanks guys, removing all the shims and starting to build up from the bottom is working like a charm. For some reason in my head it made more sense to shim from the top, so I was driving myself crazy.