Spool Questions ZPI/G1

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
rockchalk06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool Questions ZPI/G1

Post by rockchalk06 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:19 am

I'm just starting to dive back into Daiwa's and wanting to try a new spool. Got a bunch of questions.

1. I'm a little confused on all the G1 spools. What I've read, it's a great spool that is lighter that the SV103 spool. What is the difference between the Zillion SV G1 spool that the Trap sells (when it's in stock) for 70 bucks as compared to the 1016/1012 G1 spool selling at Hedgehog for 130 bucks? I realize the difference between the 1016 and 1012 is line capacity, but it that the only difference between then (1016/1012) spools?

2. Then to confuse myself more, what's the story on the Steez SV TW spool from Hedgehog for 140 bucks?

3. Then there is the ZPI PG spool for 140 from the Trap. I know this is a high performance spool and has a fixed inductor. How does it compare to all of the above in terms to controlling flouro?

Currently I am running two Daiwa's that I am considering getting a spool for. I have a Steez EX100HS I've switched over to 8.1 gears and currently have ZR's controlling an SV103 spool. This is what I am using to skip with, or trying to teach myself to do so. I am super impressed by how this spool controls 12# FC Sniper. I hate Fluoro over 10# due to how it performs compared to braid of the same diameter, but with this set up, I'm digging the crap out of how it performs with Sniper. So much that I'm getting cocky like using a D series Shimano with 30# braid in no matter how hard or crazy I whip the cast, no issues.

My other option is an SV103H I have sped up to 7.1 with ZR's that is mainly used for Jigs or 1/2 oz range baits on a GLX844 MBR. I'm currently using 50# PP, but that is negotiable with a spool change.

Thanks for the help. I'm buying the beer!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool Questions ZPI/G1

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Differences are going to be weight and inductor size.
Daiwa has their 1016 G1 spool in the Steez and Zillion SV TW platforms. I'm not sure of the weight. This spool is obviously a little deeper than the 1012 spool.
SLP has both the G1 1012 and 1016. These spools weigh only 9 grams. The standard non G1 SLP 1012 spools weigh 12 grams. I'd imagine the Daiwa G1 1016SV spool weighs in the neighborhood of 13 grams?
I have one of each 3 spools. The inductor on the SLP spools is a fraction smaller, and it does make a difference. For example, I had it in my Steez 103 and found it a bit too fast and wild. However, upon plugging it into my Steez SV TW, I found it to be a really nice improvement compared to the stock Daiwa 1016 G1 SV spool. I now run the Steez SV TW spool in my Steez SV103, and it's also an improvement over the stock non G1 SV spool it came with.
It's really just a matter of the indcutor size and the magnetic polarity each platform provides. Trial and error really. I can assure you any of the above mentioned spools are an improvement over the stock non G1 SV spool that comes in both the Steez SV103 and the SV103 (OG Zillion). Not anything drastic, but certainly less "choked" - YET generally not wild.
Confused yet?
Hedgehog carries both the Daiwa original spools, and the SLP RCS spools. They are WAY over priced on the Daiwa original parts. The new shallow ZPI spool you mention has just only made it's way into a few peoples hands.

http://slp-works.com/item/op_parts/rcsb_sv_s/index.html

fffishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by fffishing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:Differences are going to be weight and inductor size.
Daiwa has their 1016 G1 spool in the Steez and Zillion SV TW platforms. I'm not sure of the weight. This spool is obviously a little deeper than the 1012 spool.
SLP has both the G1 1012 and 1016. These spools weigh only 9 grams. The standard non G1 SLP 1012 spools weigh 12 grams. I'd imagine the Daiwa G1 1016SV spool weighs in the neighborhood of 13 grams?
IMG_2187[1].jpg
IMG_2187[1].jpg (55.6 KiB) Viewed 9655 times
Not really 13gr... It's without bearing(+-2.5gr) and inductor (+-1gr) ...
And about fixed inductor,-I think it's not bad for fluoro...For example-stock spool in Presso,and Zillion PE special 100H Spool. They're both with fixed ind. and works really good with fluoro.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 pm

Lighter than expected. The Duraluminum non G1 SV spools likely weigh a few grams more.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:24 am

I’ve not had a chance to fish or mess with the SLP model spools, so the listed weights could very well be without a bearing. Here are the weights of the Zillion SV TW, Steez SV TW, ZPI 001PG and ZPI 001M spools. The lighter the spoool, obviously the faster that spool will be. I’ve not had time to fish the M spool, but from what I gather from those who have, is that it’s a bit wilder than the PG version.

photo hosting site free

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 am

Dang! Thanks Bryan. My Zpi shallow spool should be here today or tomorrow. I'll be testing it along side the SLP G1 1012SV for 3 days this week. Going to be a battle of the finesse baits. I'll keep you all posted. What I know right now -
My 1012SV G1 is far and away the best spool I've used for 1/16 oz jig heads plus small plastics. Distance and ease of operation is mind bending imo. I'll be using both spools in this head to head battle in T3 platforms.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:05 pm

My ZPI M showed up today. Quick stop at the scale says 7g. Next stop IS71HL :D

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:39 pm

I got my ZPI M spool in today and just for kicks spooled it up with 4 lb mono and put in in a TDZ on a Megabass F1 Ultra Function to test it for finesse. I tried a ned rig with part of a senko, total weight 6 grams and it launched it over 30 yards effortlessly, tried it with a 1" grub total weight 3 grams and still got decent distance but casts pulled to the side a bit, however I think that was due to too heavy of a rod for 3 grams rather than the spool not handling it. I think on a lighter rod it would have handled 3 grams just fine. I also tried a Norman Crappie crankbait weighing 5 grams total and it cast perfectly with the setup. Only tested it out a few minutes but it had great spool control and seems like it would make a fantastic finesse spool.

lzeil
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by lzeil » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:22 pm

hi, has anyone tried putting a g1 1012/16 in a non-tw steez, does it have issues? hedgehog states it doesnt have enough braking, thanks in advance

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm

hungry_cow wrote:I got my ZPI M spool in today and just for kicks spooled it up with 4 lb mono and put in in a TDZ on a Megabass F1 Ultra Function to test it for finesse. I tried a ned rig with part of a senko, total weight 6 grams and it launched it over 30 yards effortlessly, tried it with a 1" grub total weight 3 grams and still got decent distance but casts pulled to the side a bit, however I think that was due to too heavy of a rod for 3 grams rather than the spool not handling it. I think on a lighter rod it would have handled 3 grams just fine. I also tried a Norman Crappie crankbait weighing 5 grams total and it cast perfectly with the setup. Only tested it out a few minutes but it had great spool control and seems like it would make a fantastic finesse spool.
Fantastic! Now I'm super pumped!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:25 pm

lzeil wrote:hi, has anyone tried putting a g1 1012/16 in a non-tw steez, does it have issues? hedgehog states it doesnt have enough braking, thanks in advance
I've tried both the G1 and standard 1012SV in a non TW Steez. It worked, but it was super fast. Couldn't turn the brake dial below 6 or 7 without serious over run.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:06 am

I'm excited to get this new Violet M Spool out on the water very soon. The PG spools have been amazing even with 10# FC and small to mid sized hard baits!!

www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:30 pm

I put the M spool in my TD AOI this evening spooled with 12 lb Tatsu to try briefly for standard uses. I tried on my Tomahawk F4 Phobos with a Bandit 200 which is an ok casting lighter bait. But with this spool it cast about the same as a DT-6 which is a great casting crankbait. I tried the DT 6 and results where just phenomenal. I also tried it on a Super Elseil with a spinnerbait and 3/8 oz jig. First impressions are its the best pure casting spool by far I have ever used. Medium roll casts seemed to just keep going like a distance cast. I did have to use a higher break setting but it seemed to have similar control of a SV or RC-002 spool but with better distance and easier to get the distance. It also made the whole reel feel a bit smoother as well. Not sure if it will work as a great skipping spool though as I had a bit of trouble skipping a jig but it was dark when I tried that so hard to tell.

Would love to hear how it compares to the PG spool to know which one is better for which purposes. But first impressions are that its absolutely phenomenal spool. First impressions exceeded my very high expectations. Exited to get more time with it and really test it out!

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 pm

Put my new zpi m spool in my og steez with 10lb sniper. I had to turn the brakes up to 8 to get any real control. I liked it better in my t3 mx. I'm going to give it try in tdz.

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:01 am

masterbass wrote:Put my new zpi m spool in my og steez with 10lb sniper. I had to turn the brakes up to 8 to get any real control. I liked it better in my t3 mx. I'm going to give it try in tdz.
I did notice in my AOI I had to turn the breaks up higher where I am normally around 3 with a SV or RC-002 spool I had to go up to over 6 to get it under control where you just need a tiny bit of thumb. But using more breaking didn't at all kill the spool I got terrific performance if you were using it blind you would never think the breaks were that high.