TSI 321 Questions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
wilddog66
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TSI 321 Questions

Post by wilddog66 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 am

Much has been written about using the TSI 321 product on spool bearings, but I still have these questions.

Do you notice more noise when casting compared to oiled bearings?
How often go you need to re-apply?
Can you re-apply 321 using a needle oiler with the bearings installed, or do you remove/clean them first?

Thank You!

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TSI 321 Questions

Post by Blauwe Lori » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:01 am

For metal bearings
Ceramics run faster if dry

For a Good cleaning I use Tsi 301
For maintenance TSI 321. For months Tsi 321 stay in the bearings
NOT much noise

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:16 am

TSI 321 is an oil, so there's no more noise than normal bearings. Stainless bearings really open up when used with it, and are very quiet. Works great in ceramics as well, but always be sure to get any excess out of the bearings before use as it will slow them down slightly. I use it mainly because I fish inshore a lot, and only clean and relube as I feel necessary, which isn't often. It lasts a loooong time, and haven't seen any corrosion at all since using it and my bearings are still very fast. I remove them and clean them before applying. If you choose to oil bearings while in the reel, be careful not to use to much, as it will migrate to other parts of your reel where you do not want it.

Blauwe Lori
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Blauwe Lori » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:44 am

Easy to order by Smoothdrag

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Let me put it in perspective ... Not only is it fantastic in reels, I've used it to bring household fans back from the dead. Everything from 8" desk top fans to large room air circulators. Most of them only use a shaft bushing instead of a bearing with minimal lubrication, so eventually they slow down, you get aggravated and throw them out, buy another one and repeat the process.

I thoroughly clean and dry the blade shafts and apply 321 to them and allow it to dry, then reassemble with a touch of Super Lube grease, and they run like a scalded dog for years. So if you get results like that on a fan, your reel will not even make it break a sweat. Fantastic stuff =D>

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:59 am

A terrific lubricant, but never use grease with it... they are not compatible at all. TSI 301 is mostly quick evaporating solvent with TSI 321 in it. I also use 301 to clean my bearing, then blow them out to ensure the solvent has evaporated leaving the 321 to do its job. I stopped packing my pinion bearings in grease and after a good leaning, just dip them in 301. It also works well with crank shaft bearings and you cannot beat it on guns. You have to be sure there is no trace of oil or grease before using either product.