Revo MGX Bearing/Gear Noise

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Revo MGX Bearing/Gear Noise

Post by cadman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Since I really like these reels, I bought several used reels on another forum. All said and done I got the reels and this one reel has me puzzled. I completely cleaned all the reels, lubed gears and oiled bearings. I put yellow Rocket Fuel on the bearings. Took it out fishing and after about 2 hours of casting, I hear like bearing noise or gear noise. I thought that the yellow rocket fuel was too thin of an oil. So I cleaned the bearings again out completely and put one drop of TSI321 on all the bearings. Went out fishing again and about 2-3 hours of casting the same thing. The reel is quite at the beginning and smooth then its gets noisy. So I was thinking that maybe the oil spun out of the bearings. But now I am thinking that the bearings might be worn or the worm gear and pawl, or the pinion and main gear might be bad. Other than trial and error, is there a way to pinpoint the problem? I can get all new bearings to start, and then order a worm gear and pawl from Pure Fishing. If that is not the problem than maybe a pinion and main gear. I just don't know. I have been cleaning reels for over 5 years and have never come across this. Any ideas? Thanks for any help in advance.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Revo MGX Bearing/Gear Noise

Post by ScoobyDoo » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:15 pm

If you have multiples of the reel. Can you swap the spools and sideplates into another....Trying to isolate if it's simply spool and sideplate bearings.

Check ot make sure the metal brake plate plate in the sideplate isn't warped.

Check the spool tension adjustment bar that traverses the pinion. Make sure it's clean and not warped /damaged.

check to see if areas where c/e clips are clean

Inspect the ar clutch and sleeve to make sure no damage.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Revo MGX Bearing/Gear Noise

Post by cadman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 pm

ScoobyDoo,
Yes I have multiple copies of these reels. So all of the info you suggested, I will start swapping out. Thank You very much for your info. I didn't think of doing that. This will narrow down the problem by process of elimination as I switch out the major components first. Thanks Again. :D :D :D