Is is possible to re-chrome an Antares? Other options? Paint, buffing, etc?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Is is possible to re-chrome an Antares? Other options? Paint, buffing, etc?

Post by mcfishing620 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:28 pm

I have an older Antares I am fixing up, and the left side plate is the only one that needs replaced/re-done.

Is it possible to re-chrome a reel, or make one chrome in general?

If not, are there any SAFE methods that work for buffing out very light scratches from like a chrome Antares?

Who is reputable and affordable for custom painting reels?
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is is possible to re-chrome an Antares? Other options? Paint, buffing, etc?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:34 am

Get some chrome polish and find out. If that's not good enough most any decent plating shop can strip and chrome for you. But, it would probably be cheaper, certainly much easier, to buy a new cover and be done with it.
PEACE

mcfishing620
Angler
Angler

Re: Is is possible to re-chrome an Antares? Other options? Paint, buffing, etc?

Post by mcfishing620 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:27 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Get some chrome polish and find out. If that's not good enough most any decent plating shop can strip and chrome for you. But, it would probably be cheaper, certainly much easier, to buy a new cover and be done with it.
Already tried chrome polish, and it only made it more shiny. Did nothing for scratches, even the light ones.

Tried different cleaner waxes, including a high end acrylic wax, did nothing for the scratches.
My go to...
Shimano Antares 12 / 7' St Croix Legend Tournament Bass / Xcalibur XKR50 chrome/black