Spool Bearing Remover Battle

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spool Bearing Remover Battle

Post by Slazmo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:03 pm

HH did have the HD spool pin remover, which was made from Stainless Steel, they were soon discontinued; most likely why due to cost of manufacture.

The Type 1 and 2 aluminium spool pin pusher, all that needs is a coarser & longer thread design and the threads need to be longer on the actual T shaft on both ends of the pusher and pin side. The depth of the pin as it pushes through sees the threads on the T bar disappear into the threaded aluminium hole of the body, and thus reducing thread to thread contact and increasing damage / thread stretch.

Both of these ideas I have forwarded to Akira - with no response - hey if they keep breaking they keep buying right ($55 AUD).

What I am / have been resorting to is initially pushing the pin with a modified set of flat blade pliers - with a slot dremel'ed on one side and a spherical divot on the other to initially push the pin from the shaft, then just use pin pusher to do the rest.

I find adding a small amount of penetrating oil to the pin where it intersects the spools shaft also helps in removal.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 pm

Slazmo wrote:HH did have the HD spool pin remover, which was made from Stainless Steel, they were soon discontinued; most likely why due to cost of manufacture.

The Type 1 and 2 aluminium spool pin pusher, all that needs is a coarser & longer thread design and the threads need to be longer on the actual T shaft on both ends of the pusher and pin side. The depth of the pin as it pushes through sees the threads on the T bar disappear into the threaded aluminium hole of the body, and thus reducing thread to thread contact and increasing damage / thread stretch.

Both of these ideas I have forwarded to Akira - with no response - hey if they keep breaking they keep buying right ($55 AUD).

What I am / have been resorting to is initially pushing the pin with a modified set of flat blade pliers - with a slot dremel'ed on one side and a spherical divot on the other to initially push the pin from the shaft, then just use pin pusher to do the rest.

I find adding a small amount of penetrating oil to the pin where it intersects the spools shaft also helps in removal.
This is interesting... I have always designed/invented, keep a whole notebook of crazy ideas. I came up for one that has a small hydraulic press, with a head for initially loosening the spool and a longer pointed head for clearing the pin the rest of the way. Issue is, manufacturing cost. If I can get some made who wants a sample??? My father is an engineer, I have a bunch of friends at machine shops, I would do a production run if I could get some people interested...

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 am

DirtyD64 wrote:This is interesting... I have always designed/invented, keep a whole notebook of crazy ideas. I came up for one that has a small hydraulic press, with a head for initially loosening the spool and a longer pointed head for clearing the pin the rest of the way. Issue is, manufacturing cost. If I can get some made who wants a sample??? My father is an engineer, I have a bunch of friends at machine shops, I would do a production run if I could get some people interested...
A pair of pliers would do as long as they're double action / bypass type and have the necessary divots and jaws to centre the pin when relocating...

Anything closed loop hydraulic adds an unnecessary amount of risk to a simple process. Its got to be simple yet well designed to be one side to remove the pin and another to insert the pin.

The reinstatement side needs to have a recess drilled out enough to accept the pin so that when the jaws of the pliers are closed - the pin is inserted at its final destination.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:42 am

I second the ReelSpeed pliers as being truly excellent, well-made tools for custom reel smiths.

There is never a concern about scratching any spools or spool lips, and pins are pulled safely and securely in about 1-2 seconds.

And yes, they are now very hard to find.

Dawn at Smooth Drag recently got a shipment in, but she is probably already sold out by now. They are machined in small batches.

My few pair of those pliers will be never sold or traded...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:12 am

Slazmo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:This is interesting... I have always designed/invented, keep a whole notebook of crazy ideas. I came up for one that has a small hydraulic press, with a head for initially loosening the spool and a longer pointed head for clearing the pin the rest of the way. Issue is, manufacturing cost. If I can get some made who wants a sample??? My father is an engineer, I have a bunch of friends at machine shops, I would do a production run if I could get some people interested...
A pair of pliers would do as long as they're double action / bypass type and have the necessary divots and jaws to centre the pin when relocating...

Anything closed loop hydraulic adds an unnecessary amount of risk to a simple process. Its got to be simple yet well designed to be one side to remove the pin and another to insert the pin.

The reinstatement side needs to have a recess drilled out enough to accept the pin so that when the jaws of the pliers are closed - the pin is inserted at its final destination.
Ok are most the same length??? I am really working hard on this design. If anyone has contact points for any major company interested let me know. I've also got one hell of a snap designed, but cannot find a manufacturer. Cannot ever reach the guy at SPRO, and most others are scared of non-disclosure agreements (they are scared they might already be working on the same/similar designs).
Back to the spool pin remover though, instead of hydraulics, I could also make an "X" style remover, where you squeeze on both sides, kind of like a dual plier, with a small grip-push in the middle. I have a small reversible piece that is (1)drilled out to start pin, and reset it for reinstall (2)elongated to fully push pin out.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:09 am

Gulfcoastwader wrote:I second the ReelSpeed pliers as being truly excellent, well-made tools for custom reel smiths.

There is never a concern about scratching any spools or spool lips, and pins are pulled safely and securely in about 1-2 seconds.

And yes, they are now very hard to find.

Dawn at Smooth Drag recently got a shipment in, but she is probably already sold out by now. They are machined in small batches.

My few pair of those pliers will be never sold or traded...
Like my Leadmasters Split Ring Pliers!

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:50 am

So with all the discussion here on spool pin pliers, I decided to see if I was able to get a pair of Reel Speed pin pliers. So I called up Dawn at Smooth Drag, and she told me had some. So I ordered them two weeks ago got them in. So far I have cleaned 8 reels and here is my review of the pliers.

#1. When I saw the pliers they looked very heavy, but upon picking them up they are very lightweight.
#2. They are made out of aluminum.
#3. They are anodized a nice color gray, no blemish marks from the finishing.
#4. They are double action pliers, which makes them strong. Riveted in the center, pinned by the double action and socket head cap screws by the jaws.
#5. The entire tool is nicely deburred, so you don't cut yourself on any edges when you handle them.
#6. The jaws that cradle the spool are smooth and straight.
#7. The pin that pushes the spool pin out of the spool shaft looks small and dainty but it has to be small to fit in the hole of the spool.We'll see if they hold up
#8. The double action cam feels strong and smooth.
#9. I didn't ask about a warranty, but will contact her in the next couple of days to see what she says.
#9. The $50 price tag seems a bit expensive, but since these are made in small quantities and they actually do their job, I can live with that.

All in all I like the pliers, very lightweight, easy to use and feel good in my hands. Time will tell if they hold up. Below are some pics.

ImageImage

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:14 am

I have the silver Daiwa spool pin remover and really like it, I can only guess the newer one is a bit nicer. Plus it's red and black so that adds ten mph right...? LOL I haven't had any trouble with it at all.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:41 am

I have a version 1 pair of Reel Speed pliers and first generation Boca pliers. My Boca pliers broke on a spool pin. The pin broke through the back side of the jaws. Emailed Boca about warranty but never heard back. Kind of disappointing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:05 am

I just bought the hedgehog tool (new type r version). Seems to work great so far. You just have to be careful to tell which side gets punched through and which side is thicker. Cleaned all reels/bearings last night. SS/SV and SV105 pins were easy to remove, my Zillion TWS's made me think I was about to break the tool. Still got em all done pretty quick though.