Daiwa upgrades questions

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Crazyheaven
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa upgrades questions

Post by Crazyheaven » Wed May 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I've tried searching around and I'm still confused. Have a few Daiwas and wanted to know about possible upgrades. Every thread I've searched for mentioned searching. Never found this thread with the actually info so I'm going to try asking.

Sol: Can I use the DAIWA SLPW Alphas SV Spool 105? Would that be an upgrade for it? Anything else that would be easy to do?

Zillion Type R: Can't find the schematics for it. Any upgrades at all for this one?

Daiwa Pixy px68 spr: Can't find the schematics for it. Possible upgrades?

Daiwa Viento: Any upgrades for this one?

Just wanted to know what my actually options were.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa upgrades questions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 am

Yes, you can use the Alphas SV spool in a Sol.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon May 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Plat has the schematics and there are a ton of upgrade alphas/sol spools. Search this site I did a huge thread on them.

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 am

Daiwa has all the schematics for their US reels on their website.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Tue May 23, 2017 2:53 pm

I also have the zillion type r and would be interested in any upgrades that people have done. One that I would be interested in would be the Pe worm gear since I only use braid on it. Tackle trap is selling it. Any else good out there? thanks

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Mon May 29, 2017 6:36 pm

My zillion type R(and all my other OG zillions) have the I'ze HLC spool(the ported one, not the dempled one) and have/will get hedgehog ZR bearings.
I can't say for sure how much better it is over the Type R stock spool as I swapped in the hlc as soon as I got it and never used the stock spool, but in general it's a great spool! They pop up on the Japanese auctions pretty regularly.
Do some searches for 'zillion spool' in old threads and you can read about it as well as all the other spools(though there aren't too many).

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm

Crazyheaven wrote:I've tried searching around and I'm still confused. Have a few Daiwas and wanted to know about possible upgrades. Every thread I've searched for mentioned searching. Never found this thread with the actually info so I'm going to try asking.

Sol: Can I use the DAIWA SLPW Alphas SV Spool 105? Would that be an upgrade for it? Anything else that would be easy to do?

Zillion Type R: Can't find the schematics for it. Any upgrades at all for this one?

Daiwa Pixy px68 spr: Can't find the schematics for it. Possible upgrades?

Daiwa Viento: Any upgrades for this one?

Just wanted to know what my actually options were.

The Sol: The SV spool for Alphas is an awesome upgrade for light weight baits and for skipping jigs and plastics. My Alphas SV is my go to senko and flick shake dock skipper yet can still do other work. The Sol spool will hold more line and be better suited for heavier baits distance casted.

Zillion Type R: Not a lot of option here for this reel. Great real in stock form and look forward to acquiring one myself someday. You have the the DIY spools for the TD Zillion platform but they are BFS spools and ill suited to heavy line and 1/4+ baits. Handles and color parts are your best options.

Pixy SPR: No spool options on that one. You may be able to swap in in regular Pixy brake cup and mag dial to allow use of a regular Pixy spooland DIY spool but that would be cost prohibitive given the current price of the platform. Handles and color parts are available.

Diawa Viento: Nothing to my knowledge.

I buy most of my color parts and BFS spools from this seller on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/ ... 0.0.l1XnvU

Crazyheaven
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Crazyheaven » Mon May 29, 2017 8:12 pm

I put the sv spool on the sol. Like promised it fit right in. Didn't expect such a large difference in an already good reel. There were at 3 times I should have had a backlash and.. nothing. =D>

Maybe it's just me but it doesn't it feel like I need my thumb even more. I still use it but wow.

I did search Daiwa's site. I was unable to find the type r zillion and the pixy spr.

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Mon May 29, 2017 11:30 pm

Crazyheaven
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Crazyheaven » Tue May 30, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks for this. TDZ stood for zillion and the R stood for the type R. With this info I was also able to find the pixy type r as pixr.

I'm going to keep my other reels the same. I do love my zillion type r and would hate to screw it up.

I ordered a part to repair my viento from Mike Reel Repairs. No idea if he'll ever get it sent out to me. My order status still says pending from May 15th. Heard it takes about a month. Saw a thread on here after my order where people were complaining about the time. I'll contact him once to get a eta. I'll give him until the end of paypals money back guarantee period before making a claim.

Anyway, I brought my spool from here: https://www.digitaka.com/ Also picked up a zillion sv tws 9.1 from them which came with free shipping. They had it to me in 4 days.
Last edited by Crazyheaven on Wed May 31, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dug
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dug » Tue May 30, 2017 7:56 pm

Here is another option for reel repair parts.

http://www.fishingreelparts.com/

Dug