Hedgehog ZR bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Hedgehog ZR bearings

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 am

I have these in my Calais 200asv that I use for 1/2oz+ inshore and swimbaits and I love em. Great distance!

I'm wondering what you guys think of these for casting(not pitching) lighter-regular baits(not bfs). Say...1/4oz-3/8oz. Not less than 1/4oz.

The chart on the hedgehog site says they go down to 5 grams. Just wondering if anyone has used them for 1/4-3/8oz stuff?
Last edited by spookybaits on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Hedgehog ZR bearings

Post by spookybaits » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:07 am

*I'm trying to pick which bearings to use for my shallow/squarebill crank reel. Majority of baits will be 1/4oz- 1/2oz.
Reel is sv103, spool will likely be R+ (Or 1016, ito, zpi, stock spool, etc. but leaning towards R+).
Distance is the priority with these bearings.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:38 am

Being how you are switching to a faster spool, how trained is your thumb? My suggestion would be Air HD bearings, but a lot of folks like and feel the Zpi Sic bearings are best. Too fast for my liking, even with an SV spool.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:03 pm

spookybaits wrote:I have these in my Calais 200asv that I use for 1/2oz+ inshore and swimbaits and I love em. Great distance!

I'm wondering what you guys think of these for casting(not pitching) lighter-regular baits(not bfs). Say...1/4oz-3/8oz. Not less than 1/4oz.

The chart on the hedgehog site says they go down to 5 grams. Just wondering if anyone has used them for 1/4-3/8oz stuff?
Use them all the time for casting 1/4-1/2 oz baits with no dramas. I lube them with TSI321 since I fish the salt, but they also go well with other lubes such as YRF etc.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:50 pm

They work fine for the 1/4 to 1/2 oz. weights. I have a couple of sets in my Zillion's.

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks dudes, I'm gonna give the ZR's a shot.

Hogsticker2 wrote:Being how you are switching to a faster spool, how trained is your thumb? My suggestion would be Air HD bearings, but a lot of folks like and feel the Zpi Sic bearings are best. Too fast for my liking, even with an SV spool.
I got some of those air HD's for my zonda when I dropped an SV spool in it. I get horrible casting distance with them. I can pitch it almost as far as I can overhand cast it. OTOH, that reel pitches better than anything else I have. It could be the spool + that reel's magnets + bearings, but to me it just seems like those bearings prefer light weight baits, or close range stuff. Probably not the bearings doing at all, but that's the only experience I have with em :lol:
I'd like to try the zpi too, but I always assumed they were more geared for finesse as well?

I wish I had the time to do a proper bearing shoot out.