Reel Handle Knobs

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel Handle Knobs

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:50 am

Hi all, I have a question regarding reel handle knobs. For some reason whenever I take apart a reel handle to switch out the knobs and I reinstall the knobs back onto the handle, if I spin it a certain direction the screw that holds the knob down becomes loose and eventually the whole knob comes off? What does this mean, and what am I doing wrong. Even if it is the original knob for the handle sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. If I tighten down the screw the knob is unable to spin also in one direction. If i spin it the opposite direction the handle knob becomes loose. Any tips? Thanks.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel Handle Knobs

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:54 am

The knob post screws need to be tightened down snug or they will work their way loose. You have to find the perfect amount of shims for it to work right. Put the shims on the post 1st before the bearing. There shouldn't be any play between the knobs and handle, yet it should spin freely in both directions. It's a trial and error operation. Make sure the bearings aren't dry also.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

If I tighten down the screws the knob will not spin at all. So shims in first or bearings? I know one bearing goes onto the post first then the second one right before the screw.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 am

Usually when you pull down a reel the screw can shed it's Locktite from factory.

Best thing to do with the knob screws is to apply a small amount of Locktite and allow it to dry for a while, when that screw goes back in at least your assured that under normal operation it won't back itself out.

I've seen some stupid designs where the screw unwinds itself with the handle rotation, seriously are reversed screw threads that hard in these scenario's?

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:10 am

Lol thats how my knobs are right now. Only one doesn't unscrew itself but the other one does. Its bugging the hell out of me lol. I even tried googling for answers but seems like nobody asked a question like this before haha.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:21 am

If this is happening then the knobs are too long for the posts. You need to remove shims if possible or try different knobs. You can use loctite and not tighten the screw all the way down as an alternative.

DaveJ

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:57 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:You need to remove shims if possible or try different knobs.
Also try forming those shims around a a screwdriver shaft to get them to look like " ( " helps space out and puts in a little bit of give in the knob setup once nipped down.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:23 pm

I will try all tips. I will report back if success or not. Thanks guys. Feel free to leave more tips.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:19 am

Salty Parrot wrote:I will try all tips. I will report back if success or not. Thanks guys. Feel free to leave more tips.
The knob bearings should be totally free. If the screw is reaching them they aren't free, and whole idea of having bearing supported knobs is defeated.
It sounds like the posts are just a little too short, and the screw is hitting the bearing before it bottoms out on the post.
Try and find a thin shim/washer that is slightly smaller than the OD of the post, and put it onto the screw shaft before you reinstall the screw.