Does anyone put wax on their reels?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Hanover
Angler
Angler

Does anyone put wax on their reels?

Post by Hanover » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:00 pm

I have put wax on my rods, but I recently got a Stella FI and was looking at the metallic finish on that reel which is really nice.

So I'm thinking...why not wax the rest of the reel as long as I have it out to seal the spool to protect that from corrosion.

I have both Turtle Was Ice at home and Zaino Z5. Both of those, leave no powdery residue that can gum up a reel, as when they are removed the product transfers onto your cloth. I use the Ice on my rods.

I know some like to use Carnauba wax on their spools. Old school waxes would often have a chalky powdery residue but the newer generation of waxes like P21 Carnauba leaves no residue at all.

I waxed the Shimano with Zaino Z5 and have used it a couple of times, used corrosion x when done fishing, and the water still beads up. Manufacturer claims that WD40 doesn't remove it. Don't know how long it will last but I will report back. According to Zaino, the product has a higher melting point than Carnauba wax, another product by Honda, Glare Polish, claims the same. I would think that would be beneficial for those sealing their reel spools.

Side note....when I used the Zaino Z5, the reel smells like it has been in a bordello....honey, why do you keep smelling your reel?
Last edited by Hanover on Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Does anyone put wax on their reels?

Post by Slazmo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:19 am

I have been known to use Nu Finish every so often on my reels and rods.

Also a generic furniture polish like Mr Sheen works wonders. Especially on rod blanks, makes them look like new and small scratches and the like disappear.

On the chrome bits silicone spray like CRC 808 brings that to life, I also spray the spool inner where the line is laid. Spray a slight coating on let it flash off and then spool up. So far so good no corrosion primarily used in the salt here in Queensland.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 am

I wax all of my reels AND rods as part of my winter downtime routine.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:21 am

I fish in gloves, either for the cold or for the sun, and waxing my reels would make them too slippery for me to hold.

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Hmm this is really interesting. I would definitely put some on my rods just to at least make them easier to clean. Pond fishing setups would really benefit from this too as I always set them down on the ground.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Yup, 10 amp 7" Makita polisher and Meguiars deep crystal does the the trick.

Ok, Im just kidding.

I didn't know so many anglers waxed their fishing gear. It really never crossed my mind. Interesting.