How do you use your Ultrasonic cleaner?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How do you use your Ultrasonic cleaner?

Post by lifeofRiley » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 am

I'm just curious for those of you who have an US cleaner how you use it. I have used one for over a year now and mainly just for bearings. Does anyone throw other reel parts in? I'm a little nervous about throwing in sideplates for worry of removing decals or lettering from the outside of the reel. Any tips or advice are greatly appreciated.

Riley

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How do you use your Ultrasonic cleaner?

Post by cortman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:22 am

I use it for everything that isn't painted. If I understand correctly that's a big no no. But it works amazingly on gears and little pieces with lots of crevices and tight places.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:36 am

I have one as well, and like mentioned I clean everything that is not painted. Bearings go in three separate times in three separate baths of naptha. Gears and other non painted parts go in a container of 50/50 water and Simple Green. My ultrasonic has a heater, and it is on, to help dissolve oil and grease.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am

i use mine for bearings and all metal peices. i use small jars for the small parts to prevent contamination. lol

stykbowslim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stykbowslim » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:37 am

My ultrasonic also has a heater and I use mine the same as mentioned above... no painted parts - learned the hard way. All metal parts in a 50/50 solution of Simple Green and water. Bearings enjoy a hot tub of acetone.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:42 pm

A bucket and a water pik. I stopped using my us cleaner after experimenting with a water pik

I can blow through reels in short order and without having to fully disassemble. Very helpful when servicing reels that spend lots of time underwater and see lots of sand. Or are packed with grease.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:49 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:A bucket and a water pik. I stopped using my us cleaner after experimenting with a water pik

I can blow through reels in short order and without having to fully disassemble. Very helpful when servicing reels that spend lots of time underwater and see lots of sand. Or are packed with grease.
Don't think that a waterpik replaces an Ultrasonic cleaner, just an added tool that can help. What waterpik you using, and recommend ScoobyDoo ?

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Zimbass wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:A bucket and a water pik. I stopped using my us cleaner after experimenting with a water pik

Don't think that a waterpik replaces an Ultrasonic cleaner, just an added tool that can help. What waterpik you using, and recommend ScoobyDoo ?
It's an ultra 100.

It's one of those things that. When it comes to fw reels. I found there isn't a reel it won't speed up the process on.

That includes reals with tons of parts. I have vid of me powerwashing a stella and sustain

Those two reels are still flawless.

Baitcasters are now 15 minutes...just don't hit the bearings directly.

The waterpik removes the bulk...leaves a film which is fine....Then go back over the parts that grease needs to stick to with alcohol or a degreaser and rinse.
There ain't no harsher environment on a reel than the surf. It has cut down my time. And grease packed reels are no longer dreaded. And i have yet to ever have an issue post power wash.

Glasses are recomended because the water comes out pretty strong at max settings....steady flow of water going into the reservoir helps too. Add a little de greaser to the mix if you want. They do make faucet attachment types but i don't know how they work.

I love working on reels. It's a hobby...I hate de greasing them...I used to go through a roll of bounties on a pair of surf reels..not any more

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks ScoobyDoo. Will look at trying this out as an added cleaning tool.