Grease for worm gear (tired of having milky grease)

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Grease for worm gear (tired of having milky grease)

Post by Mang » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 am

I have tried couple grease out there from yamaha, Abu's, superlube and before I cleaned my reels I don't feel like using any of that stuff. Is there some other grease from big box stores that will not turn milky or stay consistent like the oem daiwa stuff without paying a premium for a tiny jar? Shoot even the grease in my daughters barbie stick doesn't get milky :lol: I was also thinking of some mountain bike grease to try out. Let me know your guys thoughts on that.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Grease for worm gear (tired of having milky grease)

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:15 am

You could try white lightning crystal grease, its crystal clear and 100% hydrophobic.

Have used it before on the inside of my reels with great results.

While i havent used it on a worm drive outside of a reel in a baitcaster due to converting to a modified oil, i would say that the stuff would be perfect due to its "crystal" clear nature and how water proof the stuff is!

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 am

Pretty cool. I wanted to keep it clear as well. I would have to get a bottle and test it out it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:56 am

Mang wrote:Pretty cool. I wanted to keep it clear as well. I would have to get a bottle and test it out it might just be what I'm looking for. Thanks
It is very cool stuff! Should see the tube decanted into a tub, absolutely see through to the bottom. Looks like some hair gels...

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Best thing for the wormshaft is a good marine grease that you would use on trailer bearings. Buy a cartridge and empty it into an old chinese soup container. You will have plenty for a long time. Also works great on gears.
<")))><{

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 am

Tried it with Yamaha blue grease didin't like it. Had it on all my reels at one point, it would still turn milky. Inside a reel I don't mind it.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:01 am

I dont know what Yamaha blue grease is, but the grease I use has never turned milky.
<")))><{

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 pm

I use Yamaha Blue and Penn Reel grease and neither turn milky for me.

webertime
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by webertime » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 am

Go to a bike shop and get a tube of Phil Wood Grease. The stuff is phenomenal.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:38 am

Yea the Yamaha I have turns green everytime, me no likey. Phil wood grease I would have to do a research on that tonight. Keep them suggestion coming guys

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:15 am

I assume you're talking about the level wind worm shaft ?

I'm not a fan of grease on an exposed part like that, too much opportunity for debris to stick to it and cause trouble. I prefer to completely clean and dry the shaft and pawl, then apply TSI 321 to both. The TSI will dry and bond to the metal creating a dry lubricating film that is much less likely to have dirt stick to it. And it's the cat's azz for spool bearings 8-)

Another possible option is White Lightning bicycle chain lube. Kind of the same principle as the TSI, except it leaves a wax based dry film. I've used it on my bike chain (surprise :lol: ) and my tackle bag zippers, never used it on my reels as I'm quite happy with Super Lube for grease and TSI 321 for oil.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 am

uljersey wrote:I assume you're talking about the level wind worm shaft ?

I'm not a fan of grease on an exposed part like that, too much opportunity for debris to stick to it and cause trouble. I prefer to completely clean and dry the shaft and pawl, then apply TSI 321 to both. The TSI will dry and bond to the metal creating a dry lubricating film that is much less likely to have dirt stick to it. And it's the cat's azz for spool bearings 8-)

Another possible option is White Lightning bicycle chain lube. Kind of the same principle as the TSI, except it leaves a wax based dry film. I've used it on my bike chain (surprise :lol: ) and my tackle bag zippers, never used it on my reels as I'm quite happy with Super Lube for grease and TSI 321 for oil.
uljersey, is this the same super lube you use? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX ... PDKIKX0DER. I'm experimenting with different greases, to see which one I like. I was going to try this. Thanks for any info. I too like TS321 for all my bearings

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 am

If you have a Harbor Frieght by you they carry them. Might just try the w.lightning stuff since one of my store carrys them.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:59 am

cadman wrote:
uljersey wrote:I assume you're talking about the level wind worm shaft ?

uljersey, is this the same super lube you use? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LX ... PDKIKX0DER. I'm experimenting with different greases, to see which one I like. I was going to try this. Thanks for any info. I too like TS321 for all my bearings
Yeah, but believe me the 3 oz tube will last you for years, no need to buy a tub of it.

I dispense it with one of these small hobby syringes, they're great for pinpoint application with no waste.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cadman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 am

Yeah, but believe me the 3 oz tube will last you for years, no need to buy a tub of it.

I dispense it with one of these small hobby syringes, they're great for pinpoint application with no waste.

You have a PM