daiwa alphas 105h

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

daiwa alphas 105h

Post by mada1594 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:38 pm

hey everyone i need some help. i just got a used alphas 105h which is my first alphas ive owned. i got it all broken down cleaned greased/oiled and put back together. now my question is when i first got it i did a free spool test to see how well the spool rotated and i only got a few rotations which was unsettling but i thought maybe it was just dirty and also needed oil. after i got it all cleaned and everything i did the test again and it still is only getting a few rotations. seeing as how this is a finesse reel a spool that doesn't spin well is a big problem. i noticed that the spool sits very snug into the side plate almost like it clicks into it is that normal? please help me ive tried everything to get it to work as it should. I watched some videos and see that the spool should rotate for at least 15-20 seconds but mine only does 2 seconds which is horrible. :crying: :crying: :( ](*,)
gone fishin! borderline 11!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: daiwa alphas 105h

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:54 pm

Does it have an SV spool in it?

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:30 pm

LowRange wrote:Does it have an SV spool in it?
it is the 105h finesse custom and it has its stock red spool.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:33 pm

also I just made another discovery. If I have the side plate on bt don't have what I call the "penny slot screw"(bc that's what I use to get it off) tightened then the spool gets some more rotation not a lot maybe 3 or 4 more rotations. Then when I tighten it all the way to get the side plate on secure it rotates less. it just doesn't feel smooth at all like there is resistance somewhere. ](*,)

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:33 pm

I would assume that you have the mechanical brake knob set to allow just a little side to side movement with the clutch disengaged? Also, when the brake setting is on zero, 'make sure that the notches on the magnets do not line up. It is possible that the adhesive that holds the putter magnet to the magnet holder has broken loose and allows the brakes to be fully engaged regardless of the dial position.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 pm

the alphas 105H has a fixed inductor spool....the means that the brake inductor is always in the magnetic field created by the magnets in the side plate. because of this, you will not get a great 'free spool' from the reel if you go to cast the reel, and it performs poorly, then you have an issue, and need to check that your outer mag ring hasn't come loose

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:51 am

e_bassfisher wrote:the alphas 105H has a fixed inductor spool....the means that the brake inductor is always in the magnetic field created by the magnets in the side plate. because of this, you will not get a great 'free spool' from the reel if you go to cast the reel, and it performs poorly, then you have an issue, and need to check that your outer mag ring hasn't come loose
Bingo. The Alphas SV spool behaves similarly as well.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:05 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:I would assume that you have the mechanical brake knob set to allow just a little side to side movement with the clutch disengaged? Also, when the brake setting is on zero, 'make sure that the notches on the magnets do not line up. It is possible that the adhesive that holds the putter magnet to the magnet holder has broken loose and allows the brakes to be fully engaged regardless of the dial position.
Right I know it should be set so that the spool does not move side to side but the weird thing is that even with everything set at zero and the spool tension knob completely off the spool still doesn't move at all. And the magnet lines do not match when it is on zero.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:28 am

also if I insert the spool into the sideplate and hold it in my palm with the spool vertical and spin it thenit spins like a dream so I do not think it is the magnets its gotta be something else with the spool or the other side where the spool inserts. sorry im not very good at describing things im not sure of the names of a lot of the internal parts :doh:

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:27 am

If the tension is set to no side play, and the magnetic is set to zero, and the spool is not rubbing something, I would check the bearing in the sideplate. It may be partially stuck causing an issue with free spool.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:54 pm

daiwafan wrote:If the tension is set to no side play, and the magnetic is set to zero, and the spool is not rubbing something, I would check the bearing in the sideplate. It may be partially stuck causing an issue with free spool.
yeah I checked that but the side plate bearing is free and spinning fine. i returned the reel anyways bc i couldn't figure it out but thank you all for the help and tips :)

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:04 am

mada1594 wrote:
PikeRoadBassn wrote:I would assume that you have the mechanical brake knob set to allow just a little side to side movement with the clutch disengaged? Also, when the brake setting is on zero, 'make sure that the notches on the magnets do not line up. It is possible that the adhesive that holds the putter magnet to the magnet holder has broken loose and allows the brakes to be fully engaged regardless of the dial position.
Right I know it should be set so that the spool does not move side to side but the weird thing is that even with everything set at zero and the spool tension knob completely off the spool still doesn't move at all. And the magnet lines do not match when it is on zero.
when you say the magnet lines do not match, do you mean the mark on the inner ring magnet is not aligned with mark on the outer magnet ring, or do you mean the mark on the outer magnet ring does not align with the notch on the outer magnet holder?

If the later, then you have a loose magnet. You could also take off the side plate and watch the magnets while you adjust the brake dial. The outer magnet should rotate while the inner one stays put. If the glue on one of the magnets has broken loose, you will see one of them jumping around as you adjust the brake dial. This would explain your symptoms perfectly as the magnets will jump to the max brake setting and try to stay there.

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:49 am

smalliesteve wrote:
mada1594 wrote:
when you say the magnet lines do not match, do you mean the mark on the inner ring magnet is not aligned with mark on the outer magnet ring, or do you mean the mark on the outer magnet ring does not align with the notch on the outer magnet holder?

If the later, then you have a loose magnet. You could also take off the side plate and watch the magnets while you adjust the brake dial. The outer magnet should rotate while the inner one stays put. If the glue on one of the magnets has broken loose, you will see one of them jumping around as you adjust the brake dial. This would explain your symptoms perfectly as the magnets will jump to the max brake setting and try to stay there.
yeah if it was that then I would have kept it and fixed it but it was the first situation the glue had not broken loose I don't think it was an issue with the magnets it think it was def something else but I returned the reel so it is all good now I appreciate you help tho it might come in handy later thanks! :)