Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Post Reply
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:01 am

I posted this in the reels forum, and then thought this might be a better place for it:

I am replacing the four bearings on my first Quantum Smoke PT, along with the main gear set. One at the base of the crank shaft, two on the spool shaft, and one under the handle.
I bought this reel when they first came out, so it has been on my spinnerbait rod for 5+ years. It's seen a lot of chucking and winding, and lots of good fish. Thank you Zander!
Should I flush out and reoil the new bearings before I install them, or will it not make a difference?

cadman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 am

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by cadman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:08 am

Under the instruction from this forum, I cleaned the entire inside of my REVO Premier baitcaster, and it was like night and day in casting. I took all the old grease out and cleaned and oiled my bearings and it casts much farther than it had before. This was on all three of my Premiers. The advice I got here was spot on, and definitely well worth it. Definitely flush your bearings and re-oil

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:51 am

cadman wrote:Under the instruction from this forum, I cleaned the entire inside of my REVO Premier baitcaster, and it was like night and day in casting. I took all the old grease out and cleaned and oiled my bearings and it casts much farther than it had before. This was on all three of my Premiers. The advice I got here was spot on, and definitely well worth it. Definitely flush your bearings and re-oil

What did you flush your bearings with, and what did you wipe out your reel with?
I typically drop my bearings into some clean acetone, rotate them with a pencil to be sure the acetone is everywhere, let them soak for ten minutes, and then pull them out and let them lie on a clean paper towel to drain.
Once they've drip dried I spin them again on the point of a pencil, and add a drop of oil.
Does that sound right?

cadman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 am

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by cadman » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:10 am

mark poulson wrote:
cadman wrote:Under the instruction from this forum, I cleaned the entire inside of my REVO Premier baitcaster, and it was like night and day in casting. I took all the old grease out and cleaned and oiled my bearings and it casts much farther than it had before. This was on all three of my Premiers. The advice I got here was spot on, and definitely well worth it. Definitely flush your bearings and re-oil

What did you flush your bearings with, and what did you wipe out your reel with?
I typically drop my bearings into some clean acetone, rotate them with a pencil to be sure the acetone is everywhere, let them soak for ten minutes, and then pull them out and let them lie on a clean paper towel to drain.
Once they've drip dried I spin them again on the point of a pencil, and add a drop of oil.
Does that sound right?
I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I used for my parts. I put only the metal parts in a small glass jar filled with Naphta. In another jar I put the bearings in and fill that with Naphta. Put both jars in my ultrasonic cleaner that is filled with water and is heated. Put it on for 5 minutes, take out the metal parts wipe off excess. Let dry. Empty Naphta from bearings, spin bearings, put them back in the jar with clean Naptha for another 5 minutes. Once that is done I take the bearing out and carefully blow out the Naptha and let dry, Spin bearing by hand to make sure they are good. Next day put a drop of oil in the bearings, and lube up the gears, and also put drag washer grease on the carbontex drag stack. Do not put plastic parts in Naptha. Some parts react badly with it. That's basically it.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:04 am

Thanks

User avatar
USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 4512
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Bonita Springs / Lake Placid FL.

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by USA-RET » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:37 am

Your post in the "reels" section was removed. Please only post in one section (pick the best one and start the thread). Such cross posting only clutters the forum and splits responses.

Thanks

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by mark poulson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:15 am

USA-RET wrote:Your post in the "reels" section was removed. Please only post in one section (pick the best one and start the thread). Such cross posting only clutters the forum and splits responses.

Thanks
Sorry.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:39 am
Location: Cherry Hill, VA

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by brownhl » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:18 am

I have found CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner to be a really effective, efficient and fast bearing cleaner. It is also plastic safe, evaporates fast and leaves not residue. After blasting the bearings in a little fine wire strainer with the red tube inserted in the spray can, I give them a 2-3 minute soak in lighter fluid and they are good to go. This stuff will blow grease out of a bearing in short order and oil even faster. The results are a very fast and thorough bearing cleaning.
Last edited by brownhl on Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler
Posts: 2362
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:28 am
Location: NoCal

Re: Stock bearing replacement lubrication

Post by mark poulson » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:55 am

brownhl wrote:I have found CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner to be a really effective, efficient and fast bearing cleaner. It is also plastic safe, evaporates fast and leaves not residue. After blasting the bearings in a little fine fire strainer with the red tube inserted in the spray can, I give them a 2-3 minute soak in lighter fluid and they are good to go. This stuff will blow grease out of a bearing in short order and oil even faster. The results are a very fast and thorough bearing cleaning.
Thank you. I have some contact cleaner. I'll give it a try.

Post Reply