Reel upgrades.

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Reel upgrades.

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:20 pm

I assume most of you are like me....an enthusiast willing to spend extra money on your reels to "make them be all they can be". :mrgreen:

I've got four reels on their way back from Ian. Totally excited to get them on the water. A partial quote from Ian, "I expect a awful lot of myself when it comes to tuning; but every now and again I will finish a batch of reels that just really shines to me....this is one of those batches.....I am thrilled with how they turned out, and I am sure that you will be too" Needless to say I am high right now. :big grin:

Here's the thing, tho. If one only looks at each item, price isn't bad at all. However, total up the cost for what was done to all four reels, and my wife would have a hissy fit if she knew how much I invested. Totally worth it to me because I have no plan to sell any of them. No way could I get my money back if I were to sell any.

On a side note two were recent purchases (used) that required repair. Sellers never mentioned that. One reel even had parts missing. This is giving me second thoughts about buying used reels. People want to save money and do their own work, but some shouldn't.

For anyone interested in which reels I had repaired, tuned and upgraded, they were a TD-Z 105H, Alphas SV105HL, Airy Red Pixy and T3 MX. Anyone having read my previous comments on the Alphas SV knows I was disappointed with this reel. I am hoping it will now live up to all the hype it gets.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel upgrades.

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:38 pm

Every reel I buy I have full intentions of modding. Talked to Brian at Trap about the SV103 I will be getting from them. Also told them to make sure the SLP SV105 spool in purple is there for me, along with some other purple parts. He was like "dang, goin all out huh?" :lol:

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:56 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:Every reel I buy I have full intentions of modding. Talked to Brian at Trap about the SV103 I will be getting from them. Also told them to make sure the SLP SV105 spool in purple is there for me, along with some other purple parts. He was like "dang, goin all out huh?" :lol:
I like purple. :mrgreen: Be sure to post pics once it is modded. I need no more reels, but may have to make an exception for the SV103.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:12 pm

We're going to need pics now. :lol:
I recommend sending one of your Morrums to Ian to tune. Magical is an understatement

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:20 pm

new2BC4bass wrote:
LgMouthGambler wrote:Every reel I buy I have full intentions of modding. Talked to Brian at Trap about the SV103 I will be getting from them. Also told them to make sure the SLP SV105 spool in purple is there for me, along with some other purple parts. He was like "dang, goin all out huh?" :lol:
I like purple. :mrgreen: Be sure to post pics once it is modded. I need no more reels, but may have to make an exception for the SV103.
I will be stopping at the Trap on the way to Guntersville in September so I can finally meet them, and will make sure my order is squared away. Dont worry, there will be plenty of pics. Its gonna look good on my new Lee Smith Custom Rod that Lee just sent me. Purple and silver, plum crazy! :big grin:

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 am

igl00jx wrote:We're going to need pics now. :lol:
I recommend sending one of your Morrums to Ian to tune. Magical is an understatement
Whoa! Never considered getting one of my Morrums tuned. Tell me a little about the results you achieved with a tuned Morrum.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:38 am

new2BC4bass wrote:
igl00jx wrote:We're going to need pics now. :lol:
Whoa! Never considered getting one of my Morrums tuned. Tell me a little about the results you achieved with a tuned Morrum.
I've always found the SX Morrums hard to set up stock. No matter which brake blocks I used, I'd get a random over run every now and then. It compounded after getting an Avail shallow spool. Sent it off, came back, and could not get it to back lash lol. Using two of the smaller blocks and was able to cast a 1/16 jig on a light Fenwick some 20-30'. Usuable distance for me. Not much hiccup from the reel, and performance is very consistent. I will be sending him more lol

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Thanks for the information. Was the reel I bought from you already tuned? I have to admit that the past two years haven't seen me rotating my reels as often as I use to. I guess you start getting favorites after awhile and tend to start using them more often while neglecting others. Plus I haven't been getting out as much either. That and testing out recent purchases has kept me from using some of my reels lately.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 am

new2BC4bass wrote:Thanks for the information. Was the reel I bought from you already tuned? I have to admit that the past two years haven't seen me rotating my reels as often as I use to. I guess you start getting favorites after awhile and tend to start using them more often while neglecting others. Plus I haven't been getting out as much either. That and testing out recent purchases has kept me from using some of my reels lately.
The ones I sold previously were stock outside of the cosmetic changes i did to them (drag star, handle, and thumb bar)

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Oleg wrote:Every one of those reels, you can install my "Drag clicker kit"!
Do you have em for the Pixy?

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:37 pm

A clicking drag sounds cool. Explain more?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:17 am

cortman wrote:
A clicking drag sounds cool. Explain more?
Sounds like a spinning reel. Pretty cool. My 16 Aldebaran BFS XG's have a clicking drag.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:20 am

You the guy on ebay selling them for $30? I just got my first one in the mail this week to try it out. Might get it installed tonight. ;) High hopes my friend

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Tackle Trap sells them.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Thread necromancy here....

Finally got around to installing the Oleg drag clicker in my Airy Red Pixy. Love it. Not so loud that it's annoying, sounds great and ships with carbontex washers so drag force is still great and smooth.

BTW, this is not a clicking dragstar, this is the drag clicking when it slips. Like a spinning reel does.

I'm ordering more clicking kits for other reels now. Love this mod!