Daiwa support is locked so I'll post here...

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa support is locked so I'll post here...

Post by Real Legg Legend » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:08 pm

Got my steez tw today and upon opening the box I noticed the reel had play on the handle. Anybody out there with the same problem? Seems like there's a washer missing somewhere along the shaft possible before/after the bearing? I have not open the reel yet...

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa support is locked so I'll post here...

Post by pharmboy2010 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Do you mean play in and out along the drive shaft? If so, I have noticed no such thing with mine.

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:17 pm

pharmboy2010 wrote:Do you mean play in and out along the drive shaft? If so, I have noticed no such thing with mine.
that's exactly what i meant. here's a short video.

https://vimeo.com/172194607

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:32 pm

Haven't noticed it with mine but seems bad on yours.

Does it stop if you undo the drag all the way out? Could be a few things - maybe the nut wasn't tightened all the way, maybe it's missing a washer, maybe something else. In any case, this must be frustrating for a $500 reel.

I send my reels to Ian Shields for tuning, even the new ones. Don't know how capable you are and how much you like to tinker with this stuff, but I'm sure Ian could do magic on this reel (like on any other reel - he finds and fixes little things like brake misalignment, scratches on spool shafts, missing parts, etc.). To me, it's money well-spent as I like to have the peace of mind to know that everything is as it should and the reels always come back smoother and tighter. I assume that it's too much of a pain to send it back to Japan to get a replacement?

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:54 pm

I'm familiar with reels and their internals. Guess I'll have to do some digging and look at the schematic. Sucks to have this minor flaw in a $500+ reel. Locking the drag doesn't do anything. The handle nut is tightened. Even with the spool and palm plate removed it still clicks. My guess would be a missing washer...tear down later if I have time ](*,)

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 am

Real Legg Legend wrote:I'm familiar with reels and their internals. Guess I'll have to do some digging and look at the schematic. Sucks to have this minor flaw in a $500+ reel. Locking the drag doesn't do anything. The handle nut is tightened. Even with the spool and palm plate removed it still clicks. My guess would be a missing washer...tear down later if I have time ](*,)
There could be a few issues. The first thing I would check is the shim on the bottom of the driveshaft. It should sit on top of the bearing and under the c clip. It may need a thicker shim. The second thing to check, make sure the play is not in the knobs, as it looks like they are moving a good bit in your video.

Real Legg Legend
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Real Legg Legend » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:33 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:
Real Legg Legend wrote:I'm familiar with reels and their internals. Guess I'll have to do some digging and look at the schematic. Sucks to have this minor flaw in a $500+ reel. Locking the drag doesn't do anything. The handle nut is tightened. Even with the spool and palm plate removed it still clicks. My guess would be a missing washer...tear down later if I have time ](*,)
There could be a few issues. The first thing I would check is the shim on the bottom of the driveshaft. It should sit on top of the bearing and under the c clip. It may need a thicker shim. The second thing to check, make sure the play is not in the knobs, as it looks like they are moving a good bit in your video.
Def. not the knobs. I double and triple checked and the knobs don't make a "clicking" sound that loud. It's somewhere internally. Thanks again for all ur input...

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:41 am

Couple of my reels do this too. I just fish with it and never bother me anymore

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 am

Mine is solid. I would get a replacement

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:22 am

i have also seen bent drive shaft retainer plates cause this issue