6.8:1 monoblock/millionaire

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

6.8:1 monoblock/millionaire

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:26 am

hello all, it has been a while since i have posted here; due to being SUPER busy and some family issues, i simply haven't had the time....since i do have a little time right now, i want to discuss a common question/comment i receive regarding putting 6.8 gears in a monoblock or millionaire

so, i hear quite often, questions from people trying this conversion that run into a couple issues after the gears are installed:
1. there is a ticking when reel free spools
2. when the reel is engaged, the reel feels as if it is not fully engaged

now, sometimes you can instal the 6.8 gears and have no issues at all....this i cannot explain..but it is becoming more common that one of the two previously mentioned issues will occur.

here is why:
after close analysis of px68 pinion gears and millionaire/monoblock pinion gears, i found that the drive pin slot in the pinion gears are different from each other, in relation to how they sit in the reel...only slightly, but enough to make a difference in some cases. as the gears sit in the reel, the slot for the drive pin in the px68 pinion gear does not extend as far into the reel as the slot in the millionaire/monoblock pinion's slot. in some reels, this can cause the engaged spool to push up on the pinion gear slightly; this cause a very odd geary sound and feeling.

now, i have explained that as the reel sits with gears installed, that the slot for the stock millionaire/monoblock pinion goes further into the reel...BUT, i have found that the distance from the 'collar'(part that rides in the yoke) of the pinion gear, and the tip of the pinion gear, are the same for both the pinion gear for the px68 and the millionaire/monoblock. this means that the tip of the pinion gear from teh px68 will extend further on to the spool shaft. if the above problem is not noted(the odd half engaged feeling), it is still possible that the drive pin can strike the tip of the pinion gear while the spool spins; obviously, this will make a terrible ticking sound.

the solution:
easy way to kill two birds with one stone....and that stone is a tiny copper shim. in the palm plate, under the bearing, you will find a 'felt' ring, then a composite disc, and under that will be a brass(?) disc. this disc is the way to alleviate the above mentioned issues. this disc, in the millionaire (part number 375-7404), is a good bit thicker than the one found in the px68 (part number 375-7400). swapping this tiny disc out will fix the above mentioned, and very common issues

another note:
to get this part, you can contact me (reel_tuner@yahoo.com), Bryan(from Pike road), or the guys at the trap, or Daiwa. if you call Daiwa to order them, be sure that you order a few because the bin seems to be mixed up there, and you will probably receive a few of the thicker spacers with the ones that you actually want to use

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: 6.8:1 monoblock/millionaire

Post by badbuffalo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:48 am

Good read, Thanks Ian

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:06 am

badbuffalo wrote:Good read, Thanks Ian
you're welcome...it was something that i have had a lot of questions about; hopefully it is explained well and will help people out.

badbuffalo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by badbuffalo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:20 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:
badbuffalo wrote:Good read, Thanks Ian
you're welcome...it was something that i have had a lot of questions about; hopefully it is explained well and will help people out.
Very well writen, also the daiwa death screw writeup. I bought a wiha ph1x60 soon after i sent my sol a fuego to you for repairs and havent had a problem since. Great advice.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:01 am

Nice, thanks for the info!

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:31 pm

zodiak311 wrote:Nice, thanks for the info!
you're welcome, Brian!

the hooligan
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by the hooligan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 am

Wealth of knowledge =D>

JoeyBones
Angler
Angler

Post by JoeyBones » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:21 am

I feel vindicated! I had this exact experience and reached the same conclusions as you. The "solution" that I lucked into was to use the 1016 spool... Everything lined up and played perfectly then. See my last post in this thread:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 3&start=45