Question on gear upgrade on TD-Ito 103HL

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Question on gear upgrade on TD-Ito 103HL

Post by saoulons » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Hi-

I purchased the 7.1 gear upgrade from Tackle Trap (fits TD-Z 103ML, TD-Ito 103ML, Steez 103HLA, etc.) but I'm not sure that it fits a TD-Ito 103HL (I may have assumed wrong :shock: ).

The brass drive gear in the upgrade set does not have the holes in it and the drive gear is also a bit different than the stock parts.

Has anyone made this upgrade before (or similar) or is it simply not compatible? Per the kit, I assume that this would be the replacement parts (or please correct me if I have it wrong):

Left Hand Brass 7:1 Drive Gear - to replace part #76
Left Hand Brass 7:1 Pinion Gear - to replace part #56
Drive Shaft Washer - to replace part #74
Drive Gear - to replace part #75

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks TT!!
TD-ITO103HL-00613980.jpg
TD-ITO103HL-00613980.jpg (55.82 KiB) Viewed 4792 times

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Question on gear upgrade on TD-Ito 103HL

Post by cndbasshunter » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:22 pm

should work fine, i've used 6.3 and 7.1 from gary in itos. you must use the new washer and plastic gear.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:49 am

The new drive gear is metal and is machined so it locks on the drive shaft like the drag washers. Rotate the drive gear until it slides all the way down on the shaft and is locked in. It is a very small edge it locks onto on the very bottom of the driveshaft. This keeps the drive gear from spinning on the shaft. The washer goes on top, then the main gear. I dont 100% know if that is how it is designed, but that is what works best for me. If you put the washer under the drive gear the drive gear doesnt lock onto the shaft as the oval hole in the drive gear is too big for the main shaft part. If you dont use the washer the main gear will contact the worm gear shaft, so I put it on top. I have it like this in a TD-Ito and an AOI and they perform flawlessly.

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:57 am

The parts for this come from a Steez 103HLA. Use this Schematic to properly install the components.

http://www.daiwaweb.com/us/service/manu ... 103HLA.pdf

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:49 am

Great, thank you all. I'm always amazed by the knowledge, savviness and responsiveness of this community.

And Ryan, what you describe is exactly what I'll do. I also connected with Gary offline and this is what he mentioned as well. The mistake I made was thinking that each part swaps out 1 for 1. You are actually adding an extra washer with this mod between the two drive gears.

Won't be able to try it out until the weekend and will revert back to this group with success or more questions. Who knows, I may even include a pic or two 8-)

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:11 am

And to pile on, the Steez schematics show exactly that, thank you for the link and this is definitely the design. :shock:

Out of curiosity, are the Steez gears made of brass or aluminum (can't remember)? Brass feels a bit heavy for such a light reel.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:13 am

saoulons wrote:And to pile on, the Steez schematics show exactly that, thank you for the link and this is definitely the design. :shock:

Out of curiosity, are the Steez gears made of brass or aluminum (can't remember)? Brass feels a bit heavy for such a light reel.
Brass. This mod adds .4oz to the reel weight over the stock aluminum gears.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:46 am

Teal101 wrote: Brass. This mod adds .4oz to the reel weight over the stock aluminum gears.
Thanks, amazing knowledge...

I wonder how people used to operate before the Internet and public forums. I guess a guy knew a guy who knew a guy who got him a product from Japan once in a while and that was it (or you looked someone up in the Yellow pages and made a few cold calls).

These days, I get a new idea from a place like TT, order from Japan that same day and the parts are on my desk within 2 days. And if I have a question, there are experts on here that will answer within a few hours for free... That's progress, I guess; just not progress toward savings and retirement, quite the opposite 8-[

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:45 am

saoulons wrote:
Teal101 wrote: Brass. This mod adds .4oz to the reel weight over the stock aluminum gears.
Thanks, amazing knowledge...

I wonder how people used to operate before the Internet and public forums. I guess a guy knew a guy who knew a guy who got him a product from Japan once in a while and that was it (or you looked someone up in the Yellow pages and made a few cold calls).

These days, I get a new idea from a place like TT, order from Japan that same day and the parts are on my desk within 2 days. And if I have a question, there are experts on here that will answer within a few hours for free... That's progress, I guess; just not progress toward savings and retirement, quite the opposite 8-[
I just did another swap and was curious at the weight increase. It's actually an effective way to add weight to a reel for a better balance on longer rods. I believe the stock was .3oz and the brass are .7oz.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:52 am

Teal101 wrote: I just did another swap and was curious at the weight increase. It's actually an effective way to add weight to a reel for a better balance on longer rods. I believe the stock was .3oz and the brass are .7oz.
And well worth every tenth of an ounce in my reels. I love the feel of a nicely meshed set of brass gears in my LH TD-Z framed reels 8-)

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:21 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Teal101 wrote: I just did another swap and was curious at the weight increase. It's actually an effective way to add weight to a reel for a better balance on longer rods. I believe the stock was .3oz and the brass are .7oz.
And well worth every tenth of an ounce in my reels. I love the feel of a nicely meshed set of brass gears in my LH TD-Z framed reels 8-)
Agreed. I wouldn't change a thing on the reels I've upgraded. So nice in my Ito and AOI.

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:31 am

=P~

saoulons
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by saoulons » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:09 am

Got this done today.

After all, you have to remove parts 74 (washer), 75 (drive gear) and 76 (main gear) and replace them in this order(bottom to top against the reel body):

Aluminum drive gear
Supplied washer
Main gear

The pinion gear is the pinion gear and just replaces the old one.

Thanks all for the help!

hajdubalint
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by hajdubalint » Tue May 15, 2018 7:42 am

Hi Saoulons,
Was the replacement successful finally? Is the reel running smoothly after it?