Curado I series -What To Do

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado I series -What To Do

Post by Bootytrain » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 am

Swap the handle and knobs for weight savings, shallow spool for better casting.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:02 am

Orange seals if want the best performance use them open and if your worried about debris use them closed.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:33 am

man...wish I would have bought 7 Curado in the "d" series....

never know when Shimano will hit it "right" with a Curado....when they do, buy them up, cause you know they will be discontinued by the time you blink next. :)

Frosty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Frosty » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:05 pm

The best upgrade I've done that affects casting performance immediately is Hedgehog bearings, specifically the BFS bearings, but the next step up for all purpose casting is still very impressive. When I've tried the Orange Seals in the past I've had trouble discerning a noticeable difference.

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm back in the camp of clean the stock bearings really good (took me three cycles the way I do it) and use TSI. I did upgrade to a alien express handle on my 200 and 70.

Finesse68
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse68 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:39 am

When I took mine apart i flushed the bearings, polished the drag stack, spool shaft and gears. Didn't bother with the friction ring, I just keep a light film of oil on it. Seems to cast like a champ on my 745 dobyns extreme, definetly lazer beamed my lures into a few banks afterwards :lol:

egore1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by egore1 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:26 pm

Do the I models use a bearing on the main shaft? If not that'd be a great addition for increased smoothness.
I'm not a fan of polishing due to issues with consistency with material sizing. Hate to remove too much material ect...

I do think a proper cleaning of the pinion gear bore and other items that can slow spool rotation can be beneficial. Using a thick grease like Shimanos drag grease on the main gears works well for my reels. I've messed with lots of grease and that one or a high pressure synthetic from Chevron happen to be my favorites.

Are there smaller break blocks available for these reels? My Metanium responded great to swapping lighter breaks on the spool.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:40 am

When you say main shaft do you mean spool shaft? No, the Curado I has no bearing on the spool shaft. For increased spool stability there is a small bearing under the spool bearing in the handle cover and they are separated by a small vinyl bushing. This is called the "XShip" feature. There is a bearing on the drive shaft. The Curado 70 and the Chronarch 150 also have the XShip feature.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:03 am

Main shaft/ drive shaft has a bearing on the Curado I. Only bearings missing are handle bearings and I believe it will accept a worm gear bearing. Xship bearing supports the pinion gear to keep gears in perfect alignment, not the spool shaft. It is the same size as the driveshaft bearing.