TDZ 103ML - Clutch Cam Spring Failure

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

TDZ 103ML - Clutch Cam Spring Failure

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:37 am

Hey guys, I am servicing a TDZ 103ML and the clutch cam spring keeps popping out of the frame while engaging and disengaging the reel, while fully rebuilt. I can see there is some damage to the metal insert in that small hole in the frame where the spring inserts. The clutch cam spring is brand new.

I have a feeling I am going to need to get a new frame altogether, but before I do that I wanted to check if anyone has any ideas on how I might be able to repair this issue?

Here is how it sits, but once fully assembled it pops out inside the reel:

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: TDZ 103ML - Clutch Cam Spring Failure

Post by trav » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:51 am

Had the same problem with a Zillion a few years ago. I had to bent to part of the spring that goes into that little metal shim/hole on the reel frame. Never had any issues after

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:56 am

trav wrote:Had the same problem with a Zillion a few years ago. I had to bent to part of the spring that goes into that little metal shim/hole on the reel frame. Never had any issues after
Which way did you bend it?

PikeRoadBassn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PikeRoadBassn » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:58 am

It will continue to pop out without the side plate on. The white pad on the inside of the gear side plate holds the spring firmly in place.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:06 am

PikeRoadBassn wrote:It will continue to pop out without the side plate on. The white pad on the inside of the gear side plate holds the spring firmly in place.
This. Double check to see if the white pad is on the handle sideplate. If missing, that clutch spring will continuosly pop out.

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:18 am

Yes, the white pad is present and correctly installed.

Does the TDZ frame come from factory with a small groove already made to allow room for the spring to rotate? Because I can see a groove in the inside edge of the frame itself, as if that spring has worn into the metal frame.

trav
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by trav » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:07 am

Looking at the picture. Bend the piece that goes in the frame to the left

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:10 am

Had the same issue on a sol a couple years ago. What worked for me was bending the leg that goes into the frame toward the rear of the reel. That will open the angle bent in the spring a little, and move the coil of the spring toward that white pad so it can't shift as far before it makes contact.