Cerakote

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Cerakote

Post by igl00jx » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm

Starting to get into firearms, and notice individuals getting their firearms coated with this. Is the process the same as anodizing reels?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Cerakote

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:27 pm

Copied and pasted from Cerakote's website:
What is Cerakote?
Cerakote is a Polymer-Ceramic Composite coating that can be applied to metals, plastics, polymers and wood. The unique formulation used for Cerakote ceramic coating enhances a number of physical performance properties including abrasion/wear resistance, corrosion resistance, chemical resistance, impact strength, and hardness. Each of these properties is rigorously tested to guarantee that Cerakote products remain at the forefront of the ceramic coatings market. Cerakote ceramic coatings utilize state-of-the-art technology to out-perform any competitive coating in both laboratory settings and real world applications.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anodizing uses a chemical combined with electrical current to re-arrange the molecules into a thin, dense layer on the surface of aluminum.

igl00jx
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by igl00jx » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:11 am

Good to know. Thanks Tim

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:58 am

igl00jx wrote:Good to know. Thanks Tim
No worries, glad to help out. 8-)

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Sun May 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Anyone doing this to reels? Sounds like a great solution to old beaten up reels... :-k

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Sun May 19, 2019 11:21 pm

I was quoted here in Aust $400 to redo my Calais DC... If there was a cheaper option (with the same benefits) I would do it without hesitation its the best coating option out imho.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Mon May 20, 2019 9:30 am

Yikes... a guy who bought a rod from me locally is Cerakote certified. He showed me a couple pictures of his own reels he has Cerakoted, and they looked fantastic. I'll have to ask what his rates are. Can magnesium reels be Cerakoted, or just aluminum?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Not quiet sure about MG reels, having said that they need a special undercoat once stripped and once stripped can start to oxidise once exposed to air humidity.

Otherwise other materials are fine. My ideas for reels to be repainted would be simples monotones of blacks and deep shades of grey, nothing fancy... But Cerakote is by far the only decent long lasting option for me, I've delved into automotive paints and powder coat finishes (and seen mixed results locally) but they just don't last all that long for some reason and chip / scratch easily.

Also the point that Cerakote is a self lubricating surface, it also helps that the inside surfaces as they will benefit from its application, clutch assemblies running against frames would expect less wear and somewhat better actions (to some degree).

I also looked into gears being surface treated, the armourer I was dealing with was very confident that it'll work especially on the aluminium / brass gearsets. So just imagine how many benefits it could bring into a tired reel.

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Tue May 21, 2019 12:42 pm

I completely agree, but at 400$ you can just buy a new reel. The reel my local guy used an an example was a Curado B in a blue-purple colorway. It was similar to the Harlequin PPG automotive paint colorways. What is the texture like? I imagine it being sort of slippery. I would not think you could coat the gearing, interesting :-k Wonder what that would do for longevity. I was thinking of sending my TDZ Type R+ to get coated, or maybe automotive paint. If you haven't, check out Shane's stuff on IG. His work on TDZs, making them look like Megabass IS73s is what gave me the bug.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 21, 2019 1:05 pm

The texture and feel of Cerakote is basically a high sheen satin or that of the Curado K finish - basically matt or satin it's hard to expand on the two more than that / if there are more sheen's available globally I'm unsure? But I was very happy with the finish in all regards to the samples and the firearms I handled with the process applied.

That until the quote was passed across the table... Not great for a $25 Calais DC value adding exercise...

The gears was an interesting idea, because the coating is so fine the tolerances would remain to some degrees, even possible to make up for wear in time?

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Tue May 21, 2019 3:44 pm

I'm not sure on the AU to US conversion, but my local Cerakote armorer quoted me 150$. That doesn't seem to bad for chameleon which is three layers. Problem is I'm not to keen on taking apart reels myself.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 21, 2019 5:42 pm

Big difference in price...

You may need to get someone to strip it down and forward the necessary parts onto the coater if it's all done by post... That's how it's usually done here with large distances between owner / servicer / painting agent etc...

Cali
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cali » Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 pm

His shop is only 5 miles from me. I'd like to strip it myself, coat it, then send it to Ian to work his magic (and put it back together :lol:)

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue May 21, 2019 7:37 pm

Easy job if done that way.