Bent spool pin?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Bent spool pin?

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Hey guys ,

Just wondering what problems a bent spool pin can create ?

DougL58
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bent spool pin?

Post by DougL58 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:18 am

The spool engages with the drive shaft through the spool pin. You should replace the pin. Order at The Tackle Trap.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:13 am

Real Pudd legend wrote:Hey guys ,

Just wondering what problems a bent spool pin can create ?
Are you talking about the small pin that holds the bearing on the spool? That directly interacts with the pinion gear. If it is bent too much it could cause the pinion to not engage consistently or possibly damage the pinion.

DaveJ

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:53 am

I see , I replaced a bearing on my Aldebaran and I do let know if the shaft was damaged but it was hard to get the bearing off . When I finally got it off. I put the pin back in normally but it ended up slightly bent the pin that is . I don't know why the bearing had a hard time coming off since there was nothing obstructing it's way off the shaft . When I put the upgrade bearing on the casting has became louder . Not sure if the shaft is scratched or in flush because the bearing was taken off or maybe it's over oiled idk. I'll prolly walk it in to Shimano and have them check the spool, put a new pin in and check the bearing is its bad . The boca pliers are not great, They seemed in aligned :((

goosed
Angler
Angler

Post by goosed » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:22 am

I just replaced a bent spool pin on one of my reels that was making a "ticking sound" about 70% of the time on the retrieve. I tore this reel down three times trying to figure it out. New pin, no more ticking sound. I think it was making the pinion gear not align to the main gear correctly. ](*,)

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:01 am

I have had the same issue with my old chronarchs but they were super free and no spool pin.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:59 am

The Boca ceramic bearings are loud. Sometimes the original bearings kind of stick to the shaft if dried oil gets between it and the shaft. My Boca pliers aren't aligned very well either. I'm surprised I haven't damaged a spool axle yet.

DaveJ

triple_illusion
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by triple_illusion » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:15 am

Yes, Boca bearings are noisy, and yes their spool pin pliers lack precision. They should CNC machine their product! Nevertheless, a careful and steady hand will alleviate damaging the spool and pin.

A chewed up spool pin is going to damage the pinion whenever the two contact. Look at the pinion now and see if there is any irregularities in the slots. If so, replace it, and anything else that isnt factory perfect.

jim spooner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jim spooner » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:24 am

When I first started using the new Aldebarans, I noticed that some of them seemed to underperform while casting. They all have Boca upgrades and after considerable investigation of the underperformers, I finally noticed that with the cast control cap removed, there was noticeable runout (wobble) in the end of the spool shaft. I also checked a few of the ALD reels right out of the box and found them to have .005 to .006” runout. I’ve since been able to straighten the shafts in all the reels to within .001” total runout without too much difficulty and it noticeably improves casting performance.

I notified Bantam at Shimano of this potential problem and evidently, there haven’t been any other reported problems of this issue.

BTW, the bearing may be hard to slide off the shaft because there may be a small burr or swage resulting from cross-drilling/reaming process of the spool pin hole or press-fitting the pin. With the close tolerance, it don’t take much.

r61
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by r61 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:34 am

goosed wrote:I just replaced a bent spool pin on one of my reels that was making a "ticking sound" about 70% of the time on the retrieve. I tore this reel down three times trying to figure it out. New pin, no more ticking sound. I think it was making the pinion gear not align to the main gear correctly. ](*,)
Yes. Drove me nuts also. It's weird because sometimes the pin can only affect a particular reel ie had a sol with that tick, swapped the spool into another and vice versa; no tick. Switch back...tick. Changed the pin on the one spool....no ticks ever again.

Totally thought it was my gears or a punky bearing.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:26 pm

Had this happen this week with a Lew's Tournament Pro. Tore it down to clean it like I do all my reels, somehow managed to tweak the spool bearing pin when I was reassembling it....tick tick tick when I turned the handle. Tore it back down and reassembled it thinking I'd somehow knocked the pinion out of alignment. Tick tick tick. Drove me nuts trying to figure out what I'd done, until I grabbed a spool from another reel and dropped it in. Smooth as silk.

It takes very very little to mis-align the pinion gear with a bent pin too. Not visible to the naked eye at all, but when I put a new pin in...problem solved.