Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Tony9 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it.

No, I'm positive that it is the spool pin rocking back and forth inside the groove in the pinion gear.

I took my Alphas SV with DIY spool out today and I heard the ticking sound too! I swore I did not hear it before reading this post :lol: I wonder if changing the spool pin to an OEM pin would help?

That's a question I wondered about too. I thought maybe the thicker stock one might solve the issue. Really hoping the one I ordered and just got in doesn't start doing the "tick". So far it seems okay, probably a little more noisy than stock though. The spool shaft that the pin goes through to hold the bearing is WAY more thick on the Zillion TWS. The spool shaft of the Zillion TWS BFS spool is very thin, almost looks like it wouldn't match well to the pinion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am

I think the stock spool pin is thicker, so I doubt it would fit thru the hole in the spool shaft on the diy spool. That's likely why the tick is there to begin with. Abu uses a stepped spool pin to address this. Only one end of the pin actually sits snugly into the pinion of those reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Loafer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby Loafer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:07 am

Hello, Guys!
May be, someone use these spools for Steez and can tell me, how much black is deeper than red?
Another question: black spool is equvalent line capacity with stock spool?
Thanx!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Postby hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:14 am

Loafer wrote:Hello, Guys!
May be, someone use these spools for Steez and can tell me, how much black is deeper than red?
Another question: black spool is equvalent line capacity with stock spool?
Thanx!

It holds about the same as the SV 103 spool- 80 yards of 14# mono. Mine held 70 meters of 30# braid, with about 5 yds of heavy mono backing. Mine is in my SS SV 103H, only I got the last silver one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby SSS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Got a purple pixy spool and installed the HH Air BFS on it. The spool weight with bearing is 8.6g! Haven't used it yet, but i can see this outperforming a lot of expensive spools.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LowRange » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 am

Found this wooden I shaped knob with carbon accents. Might look good on a morrum with a Daiwa handle. It's a Daiwa/Shimano sized knob. It's Kawa brand but handles and knobs seem to be their thing.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328598855 ... form=msite

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm

More knobs. I actually really like these and they come in a bunch of colors. I may have to pick up a set just to have in my back pocket.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328903298 ... form=msite

Imagepost image online

Imageimage uploading

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby adam lancia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 am

Do they making a deep 36mm spool for a Zillion?

SSS
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Postby SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

LowRange wrote:More knobs. I actually really like these and they come in a bunch of colors. I may have to pick up a set just to have in my back pocket.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328903298 ... form=msite

Imagepost image online

Imageimage uploading
Same here, they looks damn nice (nicely made too,,, i think), and there's a bunch of colors to color match your combo. I just dislike how Ray's Studio and Momo leaves their markings on their stuff...

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LowRange » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!

It looks like it will fit. Zander has a pic of the CT and 100 frames cut in half and mated together with a 100 spool. The diameter at least looks to be the same. Check out the TT icast Tatula 100 preview.

http://tackletour.com/images18/picicastdaiwatatula4.jpg

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby LowRange » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 am

adam lancia wrote:Do they making a deep 36mm spool for a Zillion?

Nope but the regular TD Zillion DIY is the deepest of the non long cast deep spools.

DirtyD64
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!

It looks like it will fit. Zander has a pic of the CT and 100 frames cut in half and mated together with a 100 spool. The diameter at least looks to be the same. Check out the TT icast Tatula 100 preview.

http://tackletour.com/images18/picicastdaiwatatula4.jpg

Thank you. Hate to say it, but I figured it would, Daiwa isn't much into redesigning at this point it seems. In this case I am glad though, just wish they had built this new Tatula 100 to look a little better. A Tatula CT (not Type R) looks better to me, with the cleaner handle nut and foregoing that odd red highlight around the thumb bar. Will definitely being buying a new Tatula 100 handle though to use those knobs!!!

Jgarrett18
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Postby Jgarrett18 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:09 am

I'm interested in using my Casitas as a BFS reel and I have a couple questions you guys can hopefully answer. First, what all is required to do so? Is it just the spool? Spool AND bearings? Even more than that? Second, how difficult is it to go back to the original spool? Is that something you can do on the fly or no? Thanks in advance for the help!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Postby Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Jgarrett18 wrote:I'm interested in using my Casitas as a BFS reel and I have a couple questions you guys can hopefully answer. First, what all is required to do so? Is it just the spool? Spool AND bearings? Even more than that? Second, how difficult is it to go back to the original spool? Is that something you can do on the fly or no? Thanks in advance for the help!

Bearing will help out big time if you are casting lighter lures.

Swapping back and forth is as easy as re-threading the line through your reel and rod after swapping the spools, if each spool has its own brakes.

You will be very surprised how casting with a shallow spool will be. Having the stock spool for thicker line and the BFS spool for light line will be nice as well.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi

Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”