Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby LowRange » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 pm

You should be just fine. The DIY spools have an air brake mechanism like the SV spools but have a thinner, tapered inductor edge like type r inductor or more accurately, an airy red inductor. They cast like fast SV spools if you can imagine that. #8 mono will work but I prefer #20 braid to get more line capacity.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1633
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby DirtyD64 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:44 pm

LowRange wrote:You should be just fine. The DIY spools have an air brake mechanism like the SV spools but have a thinner, tapered inductor edge like type r inductor or more accurately, an airy red inductor. They cast like fast SV spools if you can imagine that. #8 mono will work but I prefer #20 braid to get more line capacity.


I have resurrected this old thread a few times, but had to for this... Just got brave and ordered the Zillion TWS spool, in purple of course. Very excited to get it. Going to put the Zillion TWS on a 6'6" Avid X, stock spool with 30lb braid is for topwater and the DIY will hold 8lb Fluoro for finesse and jerkbaits. Delivery said 12-20 days, this is my first Aliexpress order, plan on giving the entire process and product a full detailed review...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1633
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:37 pm

Just got the Zillion TWS spool in, only took about 10 days to receive it. AliExpress was very easy to order from and got here very quick. Wondering about the bearing on the spool though, should I upgrade to AIR BFS? What size does the ole Zillion TWS use?

User avatar
Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:38 am
Location: CA Delta

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Tony9 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:35 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it.

No, I'm positive that it is the spool pin rocking back and forth inside the groove in the pinion gear.


I took my Alphas SV with DIY spool out today and I heard the ticking sound too! I swore I did not hear it before reading this post :lol: I wonder if changing the spool pin to an OEM pin would help?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1633
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:55 pm

Tony9 wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:Maybe that tick is from the bearings that come with it.

No, I'm positive that it is the spool pin rocking back and forth inside the groove in the pinion gear.


I took my Alphas SV with DIY spool out today and I heard the ticking sound too! I swore I did not hear it before reading this post :lol: I wonder if changing the spool pin to an OEM pin would help?


That's a question I wondered about too. I thought maybe the thicker stock one might solve the issue. Really hoping the one I ordered and just got in doesn't start doing the "tick". So far it seems okay, probably a little more noisy than stock though. The spool shaft that the pin goes through to hold the bearing is WAY more thick on the Zillion TWS. The spool shaft of the Zillion TWS BFS spool is very thin, almost looks like it wouldn't match well to the pinion.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4121
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:00 am

I think the stock spool pin is thicker, so I doubt it would fit thru the hole in the spool shaft on the diy spool. That's likely why the tick is there to begin with. Abu uses a stepped spool pin to address this. Only one end of the pin actually sits snugly into the pinion of those reels.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

User avatar
Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm
Location: Russian Federation
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby Loafer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:07 am

Hello, Guys!
May be, someone use these spools for Steez and can tell me, how much black is deeper than red?
Another question: black spool is equvalent line capacity with stock spool?
Image
Image
Thanx!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator
Posts: 4121
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 pm
Location: Oxford GA

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby hoohoorjoo » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:14 am

Loafer wrote:Hello, Guys!
May be, someone use these spools for Steez and can tell me, how much black is deeper than red?
Another question: black spool is equvalent line capacity with stock spool?
Image
Image
Thanx!

It holds about the same as the SV 103 spool- 80 yards of 14# mono. Mine held 70 meters of 30# braid, with about 5 yds of heavy mono backing. Mine is in my SS SV 103H, only I got the last silver one.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby SSS » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Got a purple pixy spool and installed the HH Air BFS on it. The spool weight with bearing is 8.6g! Haven't used it yet, but i can see this outperforming a lot of expensive spools.

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby LowRange » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:05 am

Found this wooden I shaped knob with carbon accents. Might look good on a morrum with a Daiwa handle. It's a Daiwa/Shimano sized knob. It's Kawa brand but handles and knobs seem to be their thing.


https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328598855 ... form=msite

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby LowRange » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:15 pm

More knobs. I actually really like these and they come in a bunch of colors. I may have to pick up a set just to have in my back pocket.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328903298 ... form=msite

Imagepost image online

Imageimage uploading

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014 12:24 pm
Location: Donkin, Nova Scotia

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby adam lancia » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:47 am

Do they making a deep 36mm spool for a Zillion?

SSS
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby SSS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:33 pm

LowRange wrote:More knobs. I actually really like these and they come in a bunch of colors. I may have to pick up a set just to have in my back pocket.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328903298 ... form=msite

Imagepost image online

Imageimage uploading
Same here, they looks damn nice (nicely made too,,, i think), and there's a bunch of colors to color match your combo. I just dislike how Ray's Studio and Momo leaves their markings on their stuff...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1633
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:23 pm

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby DirtyD64 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:10 pm

I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!

User avatar
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1824
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:18 am

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Postby LowRange » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:42 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!


It looks like it will fit. Zander has a pic of the CT and 100 frames cut in half and mated together with a 100 spool. The diameter at least looks to be the same. Check out the TT icast Tatula 100 preview.

http://tackletour.com/images18/picicastdaiwatatula4.jpg


Return to “Maintenance & SuperTuning Q&A”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests