Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:30 pm

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks. Looks tempting. Price is similar to what a used Megabass BFS spool goes for and is fixed inductor as well.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:13 pm

I cant believe people are spending $100 for Chinese spools lol. I own two from Ray's Studio, and they certainly worth their money, but that money is $40, not $100 with shipping.

That MOMO spool is such BS too. That company made em for Abu over two years ago. They were $35-40. Now what they've decide to do is release the same spool in low quantities for the 34mm Daiwa platform to create demand. Now people spend $100 instead of their normal $40.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:01 am

SSS wrote:I cant believe people are spending $100 for Chinese spools lol. I own two from Ray's Studio, and they certainly worth their money, but that money is $40, not $100 with shipping.

That MOMO spool is such BS too. That company made em for Abu over two years ago. They were $35-40. Now what they've decide to do is release the same spool in low quantities for the 34mm Daiwa platform to create demand. Now people spend $100 instead of their normal $40.
They originally had them listed at $250 or something absolutely absurd like that...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 am

adam lancia wrote:
SSS wrote:I cant believe people are spending $100 for Chinese spools lol. I own two from Ray's Studio, and they certainly worth their money, but that money is $40, not $100 with shipping.

They originally had them listed at $250 or something absolutely absurd like that...
WHAT THE F***!? for that reason alone i would never even consider buying from them.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:57 am

Yeah, pretty much eh...? If they get their prices in line with the DIY spools then maybe...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:52 am

Yes, same seller in guestion:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/34mm-BFS-Honey ... 3580499887
I have bought both BFS spools from his store. Hi had some discount lots when I was buying. Honeycomb spool was $86 including shipping. Ray's Studio spool was $67 including shipping.

I'm satisfied with my spool purchases. Maybe I have payid too much. I don't bother much if that's the situation. Now I have BFS reel which casts lighweight lures as it should and that's what really matters. With honeycomb spool my Zillion casts lightweight lures as good as or better than T3Air casted. And T3Air was option for me, but those are expensive and there could be issues with that earlier style TWS.

I'm not sure what grade of aluminium they use in MOMO's. But I have already got couple of line jams when practicing distance casts. And those didn't make harm to spool. (My conclusion is that this spool is strong enough and it's light enough.) But I wouldn't spool too strong PE line to these BFS spools. That 0.06 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth is 6.6 kg / 14 lb line.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:15 am

adam lancia wrote:Yeah, pretty much eh...? If they get their prices in line with the DIY spools then maybe...
Not maybe. We're all gonna get at least one lol. The lightest bfs spool i have ever tested was 8.5g with bearing, so i sure am interested in testing one in the 7g range.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:22 am

jvelth74 wrote:Yes, same seller in guestion:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/34mm-BFS-Honey ... 3580499887
I have bought both BFS spools from his store. Hi had some discount lots when I was buying. Honeycomb spool was $86 including shipping. Ray's Studio spool was $67 including shipping.

I'm satisfied with my spool purchases. Maybe I have payid too much. I don't bother much if that's the situation. Now I have BFS reel which casts lighweight lures as it should and that's what really matters. With honeycomb spool my Zillion casts lightweight lures as good as or better than T3Air casted. And T3Air was option for me, but those are expensive and there could be issues with that earlier style TWS.

I'm not sure what grade of aluminium they use in MOMO's. But I have already got couple of line jams when practicing distance casts. And those didn't make harm to spool. (My conclusion is that this spool is strong enough and it's light enough.) But I wouldn't spool too strong PE line to these BFS spools. That 0.06 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth is 6.6 kg / 14 lb line.
But the Zillion is a bulky/heavy reel. Why even use it for bfs purposes? Ray's Studio spool is $50 free shipping on aliexpress. I'm sure that the Honeycomb spool casts well, but charging this amount of money for a product made in China that costs them close to nothing to produce is a ripoff. Its not like they're using some high end metals etc.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:33 am

^^^ SSS, I like the Daiwa option of putting light and shallow spools in a heavy reel, eg Zillion, SV103 and Ryoga, when I fish for large trout and salmon with 9-10’ rods. Putting a true BFS reel on these rods just feels wrong. Still, I need to throw 1/16-1/4 oz lures and spinning gear is not an option :roll:

I must admit that I ended up purchasing two of the Momo 34mm spools for Daiwa reels before I read all the comments above. I paid 80$ plus shipping for each and still have not received them. I hope they will do OK - right now I feel kinda ripped off... Have been looking through the sellers store after reading through comments above and he/they sure do sell their stuff at a very steep price. Two Rays bearings are like 25 dollars or so... :x

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:57 am

Are the lightweight spools so much more expensive to produce? I mean normal spools for chinese reels cost about 4-10$ at Aliexpress. SV inductor costs 5$. But chinese spools for Daiwa reels cost 40$+. Even 40$ feels like a rip-off.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:12 am

I would add: And ZPI spools(or other JP brand)...are they really so expensive to produce?
I love mine and have paid willingly, but still...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:29 am

ZPI's sounds good to me if Chinese (or Taiwan?) spool is not option. Price; who describes what's too much or too little. It's seller and buyer and if both are happy then price was good. I wanted really light spool for my SV Zillion and find one and price was OK for me and spool works even better than I could imagine.

I was recently asked to order another one MOMO's spool because my brother argued that it's not correct that I could use baitcasting reel for micro jigs and hi must use spinning reel. Spool goes to his old and basicly un-used T3 Ballistic, which price was on discount practically same as spool's price hi paid now.

Yes, I know that SV Zillion is not a BFS reel. But i'm thinking to purchase lighter reel, Steez A, that's 5 g / 0.1 OZ lighter :) No, weight is not issue for thoughts of mine. Only reason is that Steez is just better reel (not much, but still it's better) and it's just a feel. (If I purchase Steez, only reason is that I could say to myself 'it's better'.) I have tried T3Air but did'nt find any benefits for it's lightness vs. Zillion SV. In fact despite of SV Zillion might look like bulky, it's spool feels like sitting more down than T3Air. In my opinion it's very good ergonomics there in SV Zillion.

Usually I don't use extreme light 6' rods with my Zillion because I just don't like those performance. I like longer rods with two hand handle which casts better than tiny rods. But it's hard to find good rods with sensitive tip - that don't let perches to escape from hook. But I think now I have found good ones (or good enough ones).

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:29 am

For Japan made stuff I understand that there’s R&D costs, quality control costs, high labor costs. But for chinese stuff...

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm

^ Yep, that's 100% true, but I'm just poor Finnishman and for me Made in Japan Honeycomb spool would cost too much - sorry! But it's not my fault, it's my boss fault and Finnish tax rates too...

And I have to say that Chinese / Taiwanese people has done good enough work with spool. Not even bearings seems shitty.