Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:01 am

I have received my two momo spools for Daiwa Steez, T3 etc., and they have been spooled with 6-10 pound mono. I have played around with both and have done some casting tests in my backyard. Today, I put my gold momo spool in my 2018 Ryoga 1016hl and went to a small stream to catch seatrout. I caught several fish including one 60 cm fattie.

Positive:
- Cast quite well with light lures (mainly used 4 gram lures) with regard to control and distance
- Good strength (i hooked into a tree and pulled very hard until 10lb mono snapped without issues)
- For practical/fishing purposes it performs good

Negative:
- It does not fit my SV103. I do not know why. Fits my T3 and Ryoga. Havent tried Steez TW SV
- It is noisy. There is a constant very low grinding noise when winding in and also a louder click/clack sound, which I guess is from the loose spool bearing (!?!).
- Smoothness is not as good as ZPI

The momo spools have a low weight and a line capacity that fits my seatrout fishing with mono line. Still, qualitywise they are not zpi spools so I will mainly have them as backup spools and continue to use my slp rcs 1012/1016 and zpi’s.
If you need a cheap-ish spool for bfs style fishing and if you can live with a bit of noise (just call it your dc reel) then I think you can do worse than buy a momo. Still, lower the price to 50 usd and you have a winner.
Attachments
8498124D-48C0-4222-A0EF-0BE7540ED012.jpeg
8498124D-48C0-4222-A0EF-0BE7540ED012.jpeg (127.22 KiB) Viewed 8150 times

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:04 am

With regard to the buying experience: Prompt replies from the seller. Early and fast shipping with DHL. Good experience.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:20 am

Nice review! And nice fishes and also nice stream! Luckily you have much better situation with Seatrout in Denmark than we have in Finland. Hoping so that situation will better in a future also in here.

Obvious bearing in MOMO’s spool is not best of best :) But of course it can be changed. It’s also possible that form of this heavily ported spool creates noise?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:38 am

It is not so much the quality of the bearing but more because the bearing is loose on the shaft and slides from side to side. I am not sure that is the reason though. Still, perfectly useable spool! Should be very good for grayling and perch fishing, which I hear is great in Finland (?) as is the nature...

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 pm

Ordered same spool yesterday. We'll see how it performs.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:05 am

Dalleinf wrote:It is not so much the quality of the bearing but more because the bearing is loose on the shaft and slides from side to side. I am not sure that is the reason though. Still, perfectly useable spool! Should be very good for grayling and perch fishing, which I hear is great in Finland (?) as is the nature...
Thanks for the review. You saved me a few dollars as I was going to try one in my Steez A, but I hate noisy spools...

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:19 am

surge wrote:For Japan made stuff I understand that there’s R&D costs, quality control costs, high labor costs. But for chinese stuff...
Exactly.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:18 am

SSS wrote:
surge wrote:For Japan made stuff I understand that there’s R&D costs, quality control costs, high labor costs. But for chinese stuff...
Exactly.
I know little of R&D, factory quality control etc. To some degree, I can follow your thoughts (and agree with you). Still, how much R&D can there be - remove the spool from a Daiwa reel, do measurements, copy, drill some holes, use other metal, make the copy more shallow or do something else to alter the finished product v original. Not exactly a Henry T Ford manoeuvre.
I find ZPI spools better than Momos and Rays, and will suggest that others save their $ for ZPI, but 150$ is almost the price of an entire reel that is made in Japan...

surge
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by surge » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
SSS wrote:
Exactly.
I know little of R&D, factory quality control etc. To some degree, I can follow your thoughts (and agree with you). Still, how much R&D can there be - remove the spool from a Daiwa reel, do measurements, copy, drill some holes, use other metal, make the copy more shallow or do something else to alter the finished product v original. Not exactly a Henry T Ford manoeuvre.
I find ZPI spools better than Momos and Rays, and will suggest that others save their $ for ZPI, but 150$ is almost the price of an entire reel that is made in Japan...
Do the ZPI spools (BE, M, PG etc) perform better than other spools? You don’t achieve that by blindly drilling holes, changing materials or making it shallow. R&D is what makes the spool perform better than the others.

Measure, copy, drill holes, use lower quality materials is what the chinese are doing.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:40 pm

Just to be fair to chinese TTers - if there are any :? China does R&D too:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chin ... SKCN1GB018
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/04/ ... gy-ip-race

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 am

I suppose that ZPI is heavier than MOMO’s and also there is bigger rotational momentum of Inertia in ZPI? Please correct me if I’m not correct.

And for me small rotational momentum of Inertia in spool is very important in finesse fishing using a baitcast reel. Otherwise spool just wouldn’t start to rotate and casting is impossible.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:13 am

jvelth74 wrote:I suppose that ZPI is heavier than MOMO’s and also there is bigger rotational momentum of Inertia in ZPI? Please correct me if I’m not correct.

And for me small rotational momentum of Inertia in spool is very important in finesse fishing using a baitcast reel. Otherwise spool just wouldn’t start to rotate and casting is impossible.
The ZPI spools (nrc001 M and PG) are also very light - close to 7 g with bearing, but they are also deeper and therefore not the best finesse spools out there. Still, the M is not that deep and does quite well with approx. 4 gram lures (I have not gone lower with this spool).

To me, what makes Daiwa reels really shine, is the possibility of easily swapping and using many different spools in different reels. Today, I followed advice from another TT thread and removed the inductor from a SV103 spool and replaced with a Rays DIY inductor - big improvent to the SV103 spool in my hands. Thank God for Chinese R&D ;) Now, since Shimano will not sell it separately, if only the Chinese would produce a copy of the Shimano SVS Infinity block to put on Avail and KTF spools.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:26 am

OK - thanks! Then those ZPI's would have been alternative for me. But currently I'm happy with MOMO's honeycomb. And it was cheaper. Final price delivered to me considerably cheaper. But I can believe that ZPI's are good and could be smoother / more silent.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 am

Dalleinf wrote:It is not so much the quality of the bearing but more because the bearing is loose on the shaft and slides from side to side. I am not sure that is the reason though.
I checked all my Zillion spools (Original spool of SV Zillion and HLC Zillion) and Ray’s Finesse spool. Bearing slides from side to side in all of these. I didn’t remove the bearings from axles to clarify is there differences of diameters of axles. But my feel is really that maybe bearing in MOMO’s would slide easiest of these. And maybe that can be source of sound. And in my opinion also heavily ported spool is good guess for sound source.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:51 am

Ok, thanks. Yes, that the spool is ported may also play a role... Still works nicely.