Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by jvelth74 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:15 am

Has anyone bought Ray's 'new' Honeycomb spool for Steez / sv Zillion / T3...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 3833GRCZsg

Obviously it has same 'sv' style moving inductor with activation ramp like Ray's old spool with round holes had?

What's the performance of this Ray's new spool in BFS fishing? (I'm personally satisfied with MOMO's spool and thinking to buy AirStreamCustom, but a friend of mine is saying that hi want's moving inductor for his setup.)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:34 am

jvelth74 wrote:Has anyone bought Ray's 'new' Honeycomb spool for Steez / sv Zillion / T3...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 3833GRCZsg

Obviously it has same 'sv' style moving inductor with activation ramp like Ray's old spool with round holes had?

What's the performance of this Ray's new spool in BFS fishing? (I'm personally satisfied with MOMO's spool and thinking to buy AirStreamCustom, but a friend of mine is saying that hi want's moving inductor for his setup.)
Yes, and the performance is pretty good. I use this exact spool (black color) in a Zillion SV TW, with 8lb Sufix 832. Held plenty of line, and throws 1/8 jigheads w/ plastic extremely well. I have also cast 1/16 with tiny trailer and 1/8 hard baits well. I use a 6'3"UL Proflex 2 BFS rod. I think this spool will allow you to cover general BFS well, the rod/line is important too though. For me currently, this spool was enough to hold off temporarily on a true BFS reel and try this combo for a while.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:42 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The above pictured Honeycomb style is what my Zillion SV TW 1016 BFS spool looks like. It is not the older style round hole porting. Been good so far, still has some extra noise though, but casts great for BFS style with 8lb Sufix 832 and UL casting rod.
That spool also fits the Alphas Air. I will likely order one in black, as an option for the Alphas Air and SS Air reels that are in my rotation.
Well, I ordered a 32mm to black out either the Alphas Air or the SS Air.....and I also ordered the 31mm Pixy spool for my Air Stream Custom franken-reel, or one of the Pixies.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:58 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:The above pictured Honeycomb style is what my Zillion SV TW 1016 BFS spool looks like. It is not the older style round hole porting. Been good so far, still has some extra noise though, but casts great for BFS style with 8lb Sufix 832 and UL casting rod.
That spool also fits the Alphas Air. I will likely order one in black, as an option for the Alphas Air and SS Air reels that are in my rotation.
Well, I ordered a 32mm to black out either the Alphas Air or the SS Air.....and I also ordered the 31mm Pixy spool for my Air Stream Custom franken-reel, or one of the Pixies.
I have the 32 on the way, the new/hexagonal 31 in my ACS and also the new 34 in some reels. No complaints whatsoever. The spools are quiet and good with light lures.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 am

I'm curious to hear how the 32mm spool behaves, that could prove an interesting addition, especially with some spacers...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:06 pm

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:48 pm

They came! Can't decide whther to black out the SS Air or the Alphas Air. Also, cant decide whether to put the Pixy honeycomb in the Air Stream Custom franken-reel or the Silver Mica. What say you?

SS AIR & AIR STREAM CUSTOM FRANKEN-REEL:

ALPHAS AIR & SILVER MICA PIXY:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:49 am

I just upgraded my Alphas Air with a Ray's spool and I like the casting performance a lot. The Alphas Air is now better than 16 Aildabaran BFS with stock spool and bearings for casting light lures (I've been testing with a 2.0g crankbait).

I'm not a big fan of the Alphas platform. I wan't to center the line carriage before casting, and with Alphas the carriage don't move when reeling when the spool is locked by the thumb.

One option is of course SS Light LTD, but I would prefer to wait for a tuning spool becoming available for Steez CT SV TW which I think will be the optimum reel for me.

I have T3 SV and Steez SV 6.3R (old Steez platform), will I notice a large difference between a 32 and 34mm diameter Ray's spool when casting light lures?

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:30 pm

Not bfs, but diy 1516
Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/veQbyEVV

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:41 am

Dalleinf wrote:Not bfs, but diy 1516
And no BFS bearing either. I feel a record breaking distance cast coming on!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:16 am

Awesome!!! I was a huge fan of the BFS spool for these reels, I use another Zillion TWS (1516) for deep cranking and think this spool might be great.

One user from Russia on Aliexpress mentioned "Figured out the inductor, it's type sv. The spring is too soft to fit the wobblers" I don't know what he means by this, not sure if it is good or bad...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Awesome!!! I was a huge fan of the BFS spool for these reels, I use another Zillion TWS (1516) for deep cranking and think this spool might be great.

One user from Russia on Aliexpress mentioned "Figured out the inductor, it's type sv. The spring is too soft to fit the wobblers" I don't know what he means by this, not sure if it is good or bad...
My guess is that wobblers is a phrase for crankbait. The spring being too soft for them would possibly indicate that the spool is breaking more strongly than he desires for that type of baits. Perhaps a distance orientated braking profile is preferred.

abbor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by abbor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:23 am

Correct, the term wobbler is used for crankbait in many European countries.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Fund an even lighter spool. They have it for Tats and the 34mil steez platform. 6.3g with bearing, but they go for $70. After someone orders one of these, let us know how they perform. The inductor is pretty small.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 10b5KbumSZ

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:29 am

SSS wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Fund an even lighter spool. They have it for Tats and the 34mil steez platform. 6.3g with bearing, but they go for $70. After someone orders one of these, let us know how they perform. The inductor is pretty small.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 10b5KbumSZ
Wow that's a light one! If they decide to do a 31mm or the new 30mm ct spool we will have a new lightweight winner!