Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $39 for a BFS spool.

Post by silversix » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:55 am

daiwafan wrote:Well I got the spool and just by looking it would hard to distinguish from a T3 air spool except of course the size and extended pinion shaft. The workmanship appears to be excellent.

I placed the spool in a Tatula that had already been equipped with air BFS bearings and spooled her up with some 10 pound flouro then went to the local lake to give it a whirl. I put on a 1/8 oz jig head with a twin tail grub and made several casts. I am pleased to say that the spool performed as I hoped. It starts up very easily just like all the other BFS oriented spools I have, which include both megabass versions for a Steez, a t3 air and a presso. I then put on a 3/16 jig head with a 5 inch Hula Grub. This bait is definitely heavier than what most would call BFS but it is the heaviest bait that I'm likely to throw for winter smallies and also one I like to skip around boat docks from the boat. Once again the spool handled this bait admirably casting, pitching and most importantly to me skipping. The way it cast was very mindful of my Steez with a megabass honeycomb spool. This is the reel that I have been using the most recently while fishing in the river.

All in all I am very very pleased with the spool and will likely get at least one more for another Tatula that I use primarily when fishing from someone else's boat. Normally when I fish from my own boat I take my best stuff since I can lay everything on the deck and make sure nothing gets scuffed. When I go in another's boat and have to use the rod storage by the passenger seat I am more inclined to take reels that it wouldn't bother me, as bad, to get scuffed up.

After fishing a while, without any hits I might add, I left the lake and weighed the spool on the same scale as I weighed the stock one. It weighed 22.1296 grams and that is packed full of 10 pound red label. In fact I really have the spool a little too full, negating the weight savings to some degree, but it is still just over 8 grams or 27 percent lighter than stock.

Right now I would have to say that my hat is off to the company that makes these spools. The performance is there just like some vastly more expensive spools available from other vendors.
Nice! Did the spool came with bearings? How do they perform compared to HH or Boca?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:05 am

No bearings with the spool. Since its a Tatula there are no bearings mounted on the spool shaft.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:08 am

Just noticed, the same company has carbon handles as well and they do look nice. Now i want to try a 90-100mm handle for my PX68 SPR hah. i mean, this is so much cheaper than something like an RCS 90mm handle... I did hear some bad things about cheaper end carbon handles so i'm not 100% on this. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... reel+crank

@daiwafan yeah forgot about the different design on the Tatulas.

pitchinjigz
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by pitchinjigz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:19 am

No Shimano spools? :(

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:49 am

silversix wrote:Just noticed, the same company has carbon handles as well and they do look nice. Now i want to try a 90-100mm handle for my PX68 SPR hah. i mean, this is so much cheaper than something like an RCS 90mm handle... I did hear some bad things about cheaper end carbon handles so i'm not 100% on this. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... reel+crank

Their carbon handles are pretty nice. They are same ones that Semper Fi used to sell. I have several and have had only one issue. The issue was a knob post was flawed in manufacturing and about .5mm too short. I had to use superglue on the knob screw to make it work correctly. The other 6 I have are perfect.

DaveJ

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:57 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
silversix wrote:Just noticed, the same company has carbon handles as well and they do look nice. Now i want to try a 90-100mm handle for my PX68 SPR hah. i mean, this is so much cheaper than something like an RCS 90mm handle... I did hear some bad things about cheaper end carbon handles so i'm not 100% on this. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... reel+crank

Their carbon handles are pretty nice. They are same ones that Semper Fi used to sell. I have several and have had only one issue. The issue was a knob post was flawed in manufacturing and about .5mm too short. I had to use superglue on the knob screw to make it work correctly. The other 6 I have are perfect.

DaveJ
Cool. One question. I'm interested in this model (link below) for my Pixy. Would you happen to know if the handle is shiny as in looking 'plastic-like'? I hate it when cheaper end carbon handles look shiny instead of being matte :-$ When you look at the first set of pictures (where different colored nut, screw etc are shown), the handle looks matte but when you scroll down, there's two pictures taken on an Aldebaran 09 and it looks exactly what i don't want it to be, shiny and plastic like. Nitpicky but is a deal breaker for me :oops: . If its shiny, i'd prefer spending more and grab myself another RCS 90mm handle.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Modified ... eb201560_3

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:59 pm

The edges are matte, the face and back side has a polished surface.

I just got this one earlier this week.

DaveJ

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:49 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:The edges are matte, the face and back side has a polished surface.

DaveJ
I just ordered that as well. I will see how it is next month.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:03 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:The edges are matte, the face and back side has a polished surface.

DaveJ
That looks pretty damn nice. Its the handle i linked yeah?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:06 pm

pitchinjigz wrote:No Shimano spools? :(
I asked the seller. His answer is: "Probably will next year." :(

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:48 pm

silversix wrote:

DaveJ
That looks pretty damn nice. Its the handle i linked yeah?
It is. He threw the knobs in when a made a large order earlier in the year. I didn't think I was going to like them, but I'm going to give them a chance next spring.

DaveJ

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 am

Forgive a non-enthusiast question, but won't fine steel wool take the shine off of a reel handle, giving it a matte finish, without making it weaker?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:03 am

mark poulson wrote:Forgive a non-enthusiast question, but won't fine steel wool take the shine off of a reel handle, giving it a matte finish, without making it weaker?
Possibly, i don't have any, tho. I did order the handle and a spool pin remover (only $15 for the pin remover!). Too bad he isn't making any shallow spools for the Pixy. That would be perfect.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:53 am

mark poulson wrote:Forgive a non-enthusiast question, but won't fine steel wool take the shine off of a reel handle, giving it a matte finish, without making it weaker?
A little wax would do the same thing and protect it at the same time.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:54 am

silversix wrote:
Possibly, i don't have any, tho. I did order the handle and a spool pin remover (only $15 for the pin remover!). Too bad he isn't making any shallow spools for the Pixy. That would be perfect.
Doubtful they will make a spool for a dead platform. An Alphas/Zonda spool might happen though.

DaveJ