Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by silversix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:12 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
silversix wrote:
mark poulson wrote:Forgive a non-enthusiast question, but won't fine steel wool take the shine off of a reel handle, giving it a matte finish, without making it weaker?
Possibly, i don't have any, tho. I did order the handle and a spool pin remover (only $15 for the pin remover!). Too bad he isn't making any shallow spools for the Pixy. That would be perfect.
Doubtful they will make a spool for a dead platform. An Alphas/Zonda spool might happen though.

DaveJ
yeah, sadly.

Aek29
Angler
Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $39 for a BFS spool.

Post by Aek29 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:28 am

Loafer wrote:
pitchinjigz wrote:No Shimano spools? :(
I asked the seller. His answer is: "Probably will next year." :(

There's Hope!!!

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:14 am

Aek29 wrote:
Loafer wrote:
pitchinjigz wrote:No Shimano spools? :(
I asked the seller. His answer is: "Probably will next year." :(

There's Hope!!!
Tomorrow is next year so lol it may be next week.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:29 am

daiwafan wrote:No bearings with the spool. Since its a Tatula there are no bearings mounted on the spool shaft.
Can you use braid with this spoil or is it not recommended like some of the other honeycomb spools?

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:33 am

This spool is pretty much a copy of the T3 and SS Air spools. With all the holes there really isn't a lot of meat left and what is there is pretty thin. I would suggest using Diawas recommendation of no PE line and no line over 16 pounds, but at the end of the day if you did use Braid and it did fail you wouldn't be out too much, certainly not as much as if it were a Daiwa spool at $170 or so.

I also would not suggest pulling a snag free directly with the reel, choosing instead to pull the line itself.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:38 am

The spools feel very study to me. I think braid will be fine so long as you don't lock the drag down. A medium light rod or softer should protect it as well. I think the concern I have is with the 3mm shaft all the way through. Definitely don't pull any snags with this spool. I plan to use 15lb braid on them with some mono backing and flouro or mono leader.

DaveJ

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:19 am

I got my steez version yesterday and it looks great. If it performs like others have said I don't ever see the need to spend +$100 on other spools again. I plan to put it into my td ito and use it for skipping and pitching.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:41 am

masterbass wrote:I got my steez version yesterday and it looks great. If it performs like others have said I don't ever see the need to spend +$100 on other spools again. I plan to put it into my td ito and use it for skipping and pitching.
let us know how's the stock bearing on it.

At first i wanted to grab myself a spool for the ryoga. Then i asked myself why?! Not like i need one. But now that i see so much positive comments, i feel like i need to try the spool just for the sake of it. the Ryoga1016 would look damn sexy with the blue or purple spool 8-)

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:08 pm

I asked the guy about the Shimano spool and he told me "The spool for shimano Mg is being tested,need to test again and again" and sent me a pic.

http://imgur.com/hmOQ918

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:30 pm

silversix wrote:I asked the guy about the Shimano spool and he told me "The spool for shimano Mg is being tested,need to test again and again" and sent me a pic.

That looks significantly more fragile to me.

The Daiwa AIR spools have bigger holes in them than these do as well which likely would mean these are a bit more durable.

DaveJ

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:21 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
silversix wrote:I asked the guy about the Shimano spool and he told me "The spool for shimano Mg is being tested,need to test again and again" and sent me a pic.

That looks significantly more fragile to me.

The Daiwa AIR spools have bigger holes in them than these do as well which likely would mean these are a bit more durable.

DaveJ
yeah i noticed that as well

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Nice! =D> But i hoped it will be SVS-Infinity spool for Chronarch/Metanuim.

sorrychow
Angler
Angler

Post by sorrychow » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:25 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
silversix wrote:Just noticed, the same company has carbon handles as well and they do look nice. Now i want to try a 90-100mm handle for my PX68 SPR hah. i mean, this is so much cheaper than something like an RCS 90mm handle... I did hear some bad things about cheaper end carbon handles so i'm not 100% on this. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat ... reel+crank

@daiwafan yeah forgot about the different design on the Tatulas.
Their carbon handles are pretty nice. They are same ones that Semper Fi used to sell. I have several and have had only one issue. The issue was a knob post was flawed in manufacturing and about .5mm too short. I had to use superglue on the knob screw to make it work correctly. The other 6 I have are perfect.

DaveJ

I'm glad someone has somewhat experience with these carbon handles. I was debating on whether to stagger my carbon handle purchase by buying some RCS or Megabass handles or just get 3 of these for the price of 1 of the brand name. I guess I will try 3 of these on my 2 of my Zillions and an Alphas. Thx for the feedback.

funder1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by funder1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:00 am

I am in a discussion group which is created and regulated by the designer/manufacturer of these spools and parts (He is called Ray). For the release plan, the bulletin board of the group says:

Spools: Shimano AMG; STEEZ; ALPHAS; PX68 in March;
Star drag: Carbon star for Abu and Daiwa in May;
Knob: ZPI style knob in March;
Bearing: 5*11*4 BFS bearing in March;
The rest to be planned

sorrychow
Angler
Angler

Post by sorrychow » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:53 am

funder1 wrote:I am in a discussion group which is created and regulated by the designer/manufacturer of these spools and parts (He is called Ray). For the release plan, the bulletin board of the group says:

Spools: Shimano AMG; STEEZ; ALPHAS; PX68 in March;
Star drag: Carbon star for Abu and Daiwa in May;
Knob: ZPI style knob in March;
Bearing: 5*11*4 BFS bearing in March;
The rest to be planned
Can't wait for some Alphas spools!