Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:29 am

adam lancia wrote:Do they making a deep 36mm spool for a Zillion?
Nope but the regular TD Zillion DIY is the deepest of the non long cast deep spools.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:07 am

LowRange wrote:
DirtyD64 wrote:I am wondering now if the Tatula spools will fit the new 100. If anyone sees a compatibility on aliexpress I would like to know!!!
It looks like it will fit. Zander has a pic of the CT and 100 frames cut in half and mated together with a 100 spool. The diameter at least looks to be the same. Check out the TT icast Tatula 100 preview.

http://tackletour.com/images18/picicastdaiwatatula4.jpg
Thank you. Hate to say it, but I figured it would, Daiwa isn't much into redesigning at this point it seems. In this case I am glad though, just wish they had built this new Tatula 100 to look a little better. A Tatula CT (not Type R) looks better to me, with the cleaner handle nut and foregoing that odd red highlight around the thumb bar. Will definitely being buying a new Tatula 100 handle though to use those knobs!!!

Jgarrett18
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jgarrett18 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:09 am

I'm interested in using my Casitas as a BFS reel and I have a couple questions you guys can hopefully answer. First, what all is required to do so? Is it just the spool? Spool AND bearings? Even more than that? Second, how difficult is it to go back to the original spool? Is that something you can do on the fly or no? Thanks in advance for the help!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Jgarrett18 wrote:I'm interested in using my Casitas as a BFS reel and I have a couple questions you guys can hopefully answer. First, what all is required to do so? Is it just the spool? Spool AND bearings? Even more than that? Second, how difficult is it to go back to the original spool? Is that something you can do on the fly or no? Thanks in advance for the help!
Bearing will help out big time if you are casting lighter lures.

Swapping back and forth is as easy as re-threading the line through your reel and rod after swapping the spools, if each spool has its own brakes.

You will be very surprised how casting with a shallow spool will be. Having the stock spool for thicker line and the BFS spool for light line will be nice as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Jgarrett18 wrote:I'm interested in using my Casitas as a BFS reel and I have a couple questions you guys can hopefully answer. First, what all is required to do so? Is it just the spool? Spool AND bearings? Even more than that? Second, how difficult is it to go back to the original spool? Is that something you can do on the fly or no? Thanks in advance for the help!
The Ray's Casitas spool won't have brake blocks on it and you'll have to remove 2 of them from the stock spool and install them on the Ray's spool. The blocks are held to the brake housing by tapered pins that can be pushed out. I hear it is easy to do. Once you're done you will have two spools with 2 brake blocks each and the spools can be dropped into the reel interchangeably.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Revo SX ven 4 spool. 9.1 grams with bearing.
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/329100732 ... 4W084W08Fj

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

Still waiting for them to do a spool for the Tat sv.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 am

Checked my semi-BFS spool yesterday, still running good. Only thing I noticed was that the white ramp (like the SV ramp) is a bit loose, but barely. Is this a concern? I know some have mentioned that it can snap and need repair, or should I Krazy Glue it already? Will the OEM Daiwa SV ramp work on the DIY spools?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:35 am

LowRange wrote:Revo SX ven 4 spool. 9.1 grams with bearing.
FYI, I finally purchased a gen 4 and the gen 3 spools are compatible.

I found these with a search for a gen 3 spool and should fit the new gen 4's. I may purchase one and see if a mod will allow IVCB braking??

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-fis ... autifyAB=0
2012 Stratos 285XL 150 Etec HO

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:

I found these with a search for a gen 3 spool and should fit the new gen 4's. I may purchase one and see if a mod will allow IVCB braking??

If you're after an IVCB shallow spool in that weight range for a gen 3 Abu has a Deez kit with a spool. I have one but haven't got around to converting my gen 3 Revo IB yet. Priorities. I think I picked mine up for around $80 ised on ebay.

Imagepic host

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:32 am

LowRange wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

If you're after an IVCB shallow spool in that weight range for a gen 3 Abu has a Deez kit with a spool. I have one but haven't got around to converting my gen 3 Revo IB yet. Priorities. I think I picked mine up for around $80 ised on ebay.

Imagepic host
I snagged a Elite8 spool from purefishing. Same spool but silver and red in color.

Mainly want to try the DIY to see how it compares. Could buy 3 of those to one of the Abu's. :?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:00 pm

jjbassnforfun wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

Imagepic host

I snagged a Elite8 spool from purefishing. Same spool but silver and red in color.

Mainly want to try the DIY to see how it compares. Could buy 3 of those to one of the Abu's. :?
What's it like to order from purefishing? Did you go through the English site or the Japanese?

jjbassnforfun
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jjbassnforfun » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:23 pm

LowRange wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jjbassnforfun wrote:

Imagepic host

What's it like to order from purefishing? Did you go through the English site or the Japanese?
Its not bad, They mainly do phone orders. So you have to spend a little time with a big order. Southwest is easier online, But don't stock much but basics.

Avial has a couple of nice spools for the revo's. Microcast RV338R(I assume for the SX magtrax) and Microcast RV352R for the IVCB. A bit pricey though.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:13 am

Hello!

I have bought couple of relatively cheap Chinese finesse spools from Ebay. Reel is Daiwa Zillion SV TWS. First one finesse spool was RAY's Studio BFS SPOOL, approx. 10 g with bearing. It is spooled with 0.12 mm Spiderwire stealh smooth (maybe 50 meters or less). It casts well more than 7 g (depending much which rod is in use). I use it for perch fishing. But because this Ray’s Studio spool was good and I found in Ebay that there is also more light honeycomb spool available in reasonable price and bought it. This honeycomb spool is from Studio of MOMO’s and it weights less than 7 g with bearing. I have just quickly tested this spool, but difference in inertia of MOMO’s honeycomb spool vs. Ray’s Studio is similar than difference of original SV spool vs. RAY’s spool. Honeycomb spool is spooled with 114 m of 0.06 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth. Yesterday I trained distance casts with that. I’m just a beginner and I’m just finding correct setup and casting technique for Baitcasting Finesse fishing. But I could with reliability to cast with 5g Cheburashka weight up to 50+ meters (measured distance) and I’m thinking to cast 60+ meters if I would have enough inspiration to practice distance casts with BFS. But it casts more or less enough for any fishing situation. I’m fully satisfied with these cheap Chinese spools.
Rays spool and line.JPG
Rays spool and line.JPG (85.3 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
Rays spool and Zillion.JPG
Rays spool and Zillion.JPG (220.49 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
MOMOs spool in package.JPG
MOMOs spool in package.JPG (34.12 KiB) Viewed 8031 times
MOMOs spool in Zillion.JPG
MOMOs spool in Zillion.JPG (31.16 KiB) Viewed 8031 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:09 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Hello!

I have bought couple of relatively cheap Chinese finesse spools from Ebay. Reel is Daiwa Zillion SV TWS. First one finesse spool was RAY's Studio BFS SPOOL, approx. 10 g with bearing. It is spooled with 0.12 mm Spiderwire stealh smooth (maybe 50 meters or less). It casts well more than 7 g (depending much which rod is in use). I use it for perch fishing. But because this Ray’s Studio spool was good and I found in Ebay that there is also more light honeycomb spool available in reasonable price and bought it. This honeycomb spool is from Studio of MOMO’s and it weights less than 7 g with bearing. I have just quickly tested this spool, but difference in inertia of MOMO’s honeycomb spool vs. Ray’s Studio is similar than difference of original SV spool vs. RAY’s spool. Honeycomb spool is spooled with 114 m of 0.06 mm Spiderwire Stealth Smooth. Yesterday I trained distance casts with that. I’m just a beginner and I’m just finding correct setup and casting technique for Baitcasting Finesse fishing. But I could with reliability to cast with 5g Cheburashka weight up to 50+ meters (measured distance) and I’m thinking to cast 60+ meters if I would have enough inspiration to practice distance casts with BFS. But it casts more or less enough for any fishing situation. I’m fully satisfied with these cheap Chinese spools.h

Rays spool and line.JPG
Rays spool and Zillion.JPG
MOMOs spool in package.JPG
MOMOs spool in Zillion.JPG
Where did you find the MOMO spool?