Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by mark poulson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:01 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Dalleinf wrote:It is not so much the quality of the bearing but more because the bearing is loose on the shaft and slides from side to side. I am not sure that is the reason though.
I checked all my Zillion spools (Original spool of SV Zillion and HLC Zillion) and Ray’s Finesse spool. Bearing slides from side to side in all of these. I didn’t remove the bearings from axles to clarify is there differences of diameters of axles. But my feel is really that maybe bearing in MOMO’s would slide easiest of these. And maybe that can be source of sound. And in my opinion also heavily ported spool is good guess for sound source.
Wouldn't the line on the spool block the porting holes, so they can't make noise?

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:34 am

Yes, line of course blocks holes. But there’s so thin layer of thin line. And at least in case of my spool form of holes are clearly visible despite of line. Form of stack of line is not perfect round – the form of honeycomb is still visible.

And I don’t have examined with care airflow inside spool during the cast (maybe nobody has done that) but obviously there’s pretty wild circulation of airflow and in my opinion port holes and other not uniform parts can cause noise inside spool.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:43 am

jvelth74 wrote:Yes, line of course blocks holes. But there’s so thin layer of thin line. And at least in case of my spool form of holes are clearly visible despite of line. Form of stack of line is not perfect round – the form of honeycomb is still visible.

And I don’t have examined with care airflow inside spool during the cast (maybe nobody has done that) but obviously there’s pretty wild circulation of airflow and in my opinion port holes and other not uniform parts can cause noise inside spool.
That may be so, but, like you say, no one has done any testing that I know of.
My guess is that the thinness of the spool walls is probably more to blame, because the thin walls would amplify any vibration, like a speaker.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 am

Yes, common sense says so that there’s not much but enough more clearance than in other spools between shaft and bearing inner ring, which is enough to cause vibrations and noise.

But in my opinion also form of this (heavily ported) spool can cause noise as well.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:31 am

jvelth74 wrote:Yes, common sense says so that there’s not much but enough more clearance than in other spools between shaft and bearing inner ring, which is enough to cause vibrations and noise.

But in my opinion also form of this (heavily ported) spool can cause noise as well.
I've seen this as well. Some of my DIYs will be slightly out of balance in that when flicked on free spool the spool will rock side to side before coming to a rest. Not a big deal or anything but it is a tell tail sign of unequal mass distribution in the spool. My Haibo 50 stock spool also do this and look just like the Ray's DIY spools so there is that. Again this is more of a quirk from these spools rather than a performance issue but I do believe it contributes to the noise of the spool. The tolerances of the Air Brake like mechanism are pretty loose too and allow the inductor to rattle around. I think the tolerances on these spools are what makes them noisy. My Pixy DIY is out of balance and makes a metalic rattling/ringing sound when casting but despite being my loudest DIY it is easily the best casting DIY I have with the ability to absolutely bomb baits or stop them dead I their tracks depending on the mag dial setting. That spool has a ton of range to the mag dial in ways my others don't.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:19 am

I might be late to the finesse game, just got myself pixy airy red and Ray's shallow spool. It might already been answer but I'll ask here again, how much line capacity on Ray's shallow spool? I ordered Gliss line 18lb for it or might use 4lb copolymer line.
Another question, I know I need spacer in order to use pixy spool in Alphas, where can I find one and what damage would it do if I don't use spacer?
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Just_Bass on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:28 am

Just_Bass wrote:I might be late to the finesse game, just got myself Alphas pixy airy red and Ray's shallow spool. It might already been answer but I'll ask here again, how much line capacity on Ray's shallow spool? I ordered Gliss line 18lb for it or might use 4lb copolymer line.
Another question, I know I need spacer in order to use pixy spool in Alphas, where can I find one and what damage would it do if I don't use spacer?
Thanks in advance
Did you buy an Alphas or a Pixy? There's no such thing as an Alphas Airy Red, but there's a Pixy Airy Red.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 am

Oops sorry I got pixy airy red lol, but I have Alphas SV105.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:08 pm

Anyone have any idea when the Tatula CT spools, Zillion TWS, etc. might show back up on Aliexpress??? They have shown sold out for a month or so for me...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:18 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:Anyone have any idea when the Tatula CT spools, Zillion TWS, etc. might show back up on Aliexpress??? They have shown sold out for a month or so for me...
Hard to say. All the stores that had them have slowly went out of stock and none have replenished that I know of. Might be awhile.....
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Seems like that they have sold what they have manufactured. Now they are thinking what to do next?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

jvelth74 wrote:Seems like that they have sold what they have manufactured. Now they are thinking what to do next?
Exactly!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm

I figure with low production costs, high profits, and a simple distributor they will come back in stock. They are eating up profits when we buy those (fine with me, I am satisfied), so I figure they will return, possibly with even more options. I just didn't know if anyone had sent an email or been in contact with anyone from Aliexpress so I figured I'd ask. Same as Daiwa running out of the Zillion SV TW spools, I figure there will be more. I just still feel stupid for not ordering a second for the Zillion TWS. Really changed what I can use that reel for and it is still holding strong for now. Only issue that worries me is where the inductor ramp (white ramp/block) attaches to the spool; mine seems a tad loose and like it might break or come loose after many hours of use. Figure it can be glued, but I don't want to attempt it until absolutely necessary.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:21 am

Just_Bass wrote:Oops sorry I got pixy airy red lol, but I have Alphas SV105.
No worries!

I'm not sure how much line the Ray's Pixy spool holdsbut it came bff very much.
You would need a 32mm to 31mm spacer for that, and I'm not sure if anyone makes one that size. ZPI maybe but I'm not sure.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Just_Bass wrote:Oops sorry I got pixy airy red lol, but I have Alphas SV105.
No worries!

I'm not sure how much line the Ray's Pixy spool holdsbut it came bff very much.
You would need a 32mm to 31mm spacer for that, and I'm not sure if anyone makes one that size. ZPI maybe but I'm not sure.
Thanks Adam.
I might do something wrong, I got only 70ft with both stock and Ray's spool casting Zoom Super Fluke Jr with 2/0 EWG hook. The rod is Majorcraft Go Emotion 652L/BF and both spool with #4 Izorline. It is better than my Alphas 105 and Aldebaran MG7(about 50 ft) but not to the point that I expected. I might need to clean spool bearing or upgrade to ABEC7. One thing I found that ray's air bearing is pretty loose on the shaft. After caught 1 fish the bearing become noisy when cast. I've seen ppl mentioned about this before, how do I fix this.