Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by mark poulson » Sat May 13, 2017 4:11 am

I am always reminded of how ice skaters slow down by spreading their arms out. That's why I wondered if having a lower/wider the spool that would be closer to the shaft would help it spin faster.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat May 13, 2017 4:30 am

Oleg wrote:
mark poulson wrote:I am always reminded of how ice skaters slow down by spreading their arms out. That's why I wondered if having a lower/wider the spool that would be closer to the shaft would help it spin faster.
Correct observation, but not quite correct conclusion!
I also watched as my children on the carousel approaching and moving away from the center change the speed of rotation of the carousels.
I should have said spin more easily. I still remember moving to the center of the carousel after we got it spinning, so we didn't have to hang on so tightly, and that was more than 60 years ago! :)

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Sat May 13, 2017 5:08 am

I did some small calculations because I wanted to know how big the effect of the shaft is.
Basically it shouldn't matter alot, but it still does. Probably the last step to perfection.

This should be a simple model to demonstrate the physics of a baitcaster reel.
Edit:Corrected

I hope everything is correct :D but you can see that the Moment of Inertia consists of 3 parts:
1: Outer Rim with the line
2: Spokes (in case of BFS spools)
3: Shaft

Everything is basically mass x radius², but the Momentum of the Bait = F x R cancels one radius out.
Because the radius of the shaft is small compared to the full radius, it's inertia will be: 0.5 x mass x (r_shaft² / R)

Can you confirm this Oleg? You seem to be familiar with dynamics.
Last edited by Doge on Sat May 13, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Sat May 13, 2017 5:48 am

Yes you are right there is a mistake, I think it should be like this then:
Impulse/Momentum conservation: p = F, and p = m*v so Fbait = m * v
my brain has turned into mush...

I'll try your bifilar suspension method and pm you the results. I don't know if this becomes kinda offtopic.

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Sat May 13, 2017 6:37 am

I totally mixed everything up,
p = m*v
F= m*a
Ekin= 1/2 m*v²

my problem was that once the bait has been accelerated, it has a constant speed -> this energy now transfers partly to the spool and rotates it. I wanted to solve it with impulse/momentum conservation.

How would you solve it?
Edit:
change Fbait to Fbait = (m*v)/dt and using another equation "Conservation of energy" should do it:
E Rot = E Kin
1/2 J * w² = 1/2 m * v²
then you would need to solve it for time and also for w * r = v
Last edited by Doge on Sat May 13, 2017 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat May 13, 2017 7:11 am

Doge wrote:I did some small calculations because I wanted to know how big the effect of the shaft is.
Basically it shouldn't matter alot, but it still does. Probably the last step to perfection.

I hope everything is correct :D but you can see that the Moment of Inertia consists of 3 parts:

Everything is basically mass x radius², but the Momentum of the Bait = F x R cancels one radius out.
Because the radius of the shaft is small compared to the full radius, it's inertia will be: 0.5 x mass x (r_shaft² / R)

Excellent. This was exactly wat I was looking for!

Doge
Angler
Angler

Post by Doge » Sat May 13, 2017 8:11 am

I know what you mean it's hard to describe, I probably did the same when I only had the heavy stock spool. The Bait alone would not accelerate the spool, but with that technique, that long casting motion it's possible to slowly put more and more energy into the system. For me it worked better with rods too hard/heavy. I guess you slowly let the spool slip under your thumb before the end of the cast?
Impulse transfer results only a spinning spool and a bait that doesn't have any energy left to fly away.

Anyways it was a nice talk :) (I saw my mistake and corrected it btw)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

'Deep' DIY Long Cast spool for Tat CT. I always thought the DIYs were a little too shallow.

Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jayce » Mon May 29, 2017 10:06 am

Doge wrote:I did some small calculations because I wanted to know how big the effect of the shaft is.

Edit:Corrected

Where's the "FLUX CAPACITOR" installed on the spool ? :)
Seriously a well illustrated bro. Good job.

Isaiah20
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Isaiah20 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?
I'm not but I know guys are. I can throw an aerodynamic friendly 1/16 total weight very well with a fixed inductor DIY and a Volkey 652UL. A non fixed inductor spool may struggle a bit at the low end with UL baits that decelerate rapidly and don't carry their momentum well but a bit of super glue to the air brake can fix that. Once the tapered inductor is affixed into the extended position the spools are visually very similar to the Pixy Presso spool (I don't have this spool to comment on performance) and cast very similar to the fixed inductor Megabass Finesse Spool for Zonda which I do have. For heaiver 1/8 oz total weight baits I prefer the Air Brake but once I go below that I'm opting for a fixed inductor spool, linear mag brake spool or "fixing" a Air Brake spool into the extended position to make a fixed inductor.

EDIT: I'm speaking about the Daiwa spools. I can't comment about the SVS or VBS Shimano spools.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Isaiah20 wrote:Is anyone using a DIY BFS spool to cast down to a 1/16 for trout? Or am I better off going Scorpion BFS?
I have in a PX68 on a UL trout rod and while it can cast an 1/16oz spinner on 4lb mono, it is not at all that "stable". Even a minor mistake on my part birdnest's it. Stepping up to a 1/8oz one works a ton better, I can whip it out very far and make closers, more accurate casts.

I suspect a more experienced caster could do better, but my thumb is not yet up to it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Houndfish wrote:
I have in a PX68 on a UL trout rod and while it can cast an 1/16oz spinner on 4lb mono, it is not at all that "stable". Even a minor mistake on my part birdnest's it. Stepping up to a 1/8oz one works a ton better, I can whip it out very far and make closers, more accurate casts.

I suspect a more experienced caster could do better, but my thumb is not yet up to it.
I think it would help to fix the inductor but once done there is no going back.

alafly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by alafly » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:58 am

me me me ~~~~~~~zodias 168L BFS + 1/20oz jighead with tube by DEPS ZDV zillion + red DIY BFS shallow spool for lovely river small mouth bass...

Happy Friday!
"North" of America...

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:54 am

The DIY spool is fine for BFS. While 1/16th oz is possible, I believe that is asking for a headache - even with the Scorpion BFS - or at least the occasional small backlashes. Find a slightly heavier lure and be happy :-)