Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:57 am

adam lancia wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:48 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:38 am
How is the 34mm Amo BFS spool in the TD-Z? TD-Z magnets are kinda far away from the spool and cast more freely than other Daiwa platforms I have found. I'm a little worried the Amo might be too fast. Looking to toss fujin spiders and other tiny floating plastics on 10# braid. UL soild tip BFS rod.
Do you mean their shallow honeycomb spool?
Yep

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:01 am

I don't have that one so I can't comment, but I'm sure a few guys here must have some info to contribute.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:09 pm

Copies of Gomexus copies :lol:
US $15.00 | LinMoFish Luya water wheel modified 100mm fishing handle carbon plate aluminum alloy handle 30g
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMiq3GY

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 am

Fished one day with Old style Chamelleon 28 mm. Because it has a little more line capacity than GekkaBijin original spool, and I wanted to us strong braid because I was testing expensive lures in a severe conditions. It (Chamelleon 28 mm) didn't felt bad at all! Only bearing sound was not good. But maybe I still will try to change inductor to Ray's inductor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I'm not full satisfied of chamelleon spool vs. expensive ones. So I decide to swap Ray's inductor to it.

- Spring of Chamelleon feels very soft. I'm not sure is is weakest one that I have found, but it's very weak.
- Angle of Chamelleon spool inductor ramp is different than in Daiwa (or in Ray's)
- Firstly I tried to fit Ray's both parts of ramp, but didn't succeed
- Then I machined Ray's inductor ramp angle to fit to Chamelleon spool. I think succeeded.
- haven't yet casted, but I think I succeeded. Maybe trying on tomorrow. It's again freezing cold in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested it yesterday shortly. It works and I like it more than in stock. Video of inductor swap:

This way to put C-clip back is handy in My opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgWzhH4aVB0&t=148s

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested it for a couple of long days. Not issues at all, and it's enjoyable spool to use. Nicest ones what it delivers that in casting hard & lowest mag setting that can be used, this spool delivers severe overrun in the middle of cast, but it doesn't usual lead to backlash, which is enjoyable to look. This Ray's inductor tune leads more bracking power in case of inductor in (it's broader than Chamelleon standard inductor). I managed to cast hard 4 g lure with really low Magforce setting '2' (in GekkaBijin Air). It's possible that this Chamelleon spool turned to longer casting than GekkaBijin original spool, but I think I will not do measurements. And the difference is not big.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:46 pm

These Steam Angler handles aren't bad. They are Daiwa carbon fiber handle style and come in colored knob posts. Also have a Daiwa like nut retainer. There is some effort to mill down the ridges of the cf layers on the sidea but it leaves visible tooling marks. Great for $13. I wish there was an even nicer Daiwa style $30 option.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:58 pm

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 am
Fished one day with Old style Chamelleon 28 mm. Because it has a little more line capacity than GekkaBijin original spool, and I wanted to us strong braid because I was testing expensive lures in a severe conditions. It (Chamelleon 28 mm) didn't felt bad at all! Only bearing sound was not good. But maybe I still will try to change inductor to Ray's inductor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still I'm not full satisfied of chamelleon spool vs. expensive ones. So I decide to swap Ray's inductor to it.

- Spring of Chamelleon feels very soft. I'm not sure is is weakest one that I have found, but it's very weak.
- Angle of Chamelleon spool inductor ramp is different than in Daiwa (or in Ray's)
- Firstly I tried to fit Ray's both parts of ramp, but didn't succeed
- Then I machined Ray's inductor ramp angle to fit to Chamelleon spool. I think succeeded.
- haven't yet casted, but I think I succeeded. Maybe trying on tomorrow. It's again freezing cold in here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested it yesterday shortly. It works and I like it more than in stock. Video of inductor swap:

This way to put C-clip back is handy in My opinion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgWzhH4aVB0&t=148s

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tested it for a couple of long days. Not issues at all, and it's enjoyable spool to use. Nicest ones what it delivers that in casting hard & lowest mag setting that can be used, this spool delivers severe overrun in the middle of cast, but it doesn't usual lead to backlash, which is enjoyable to look. This Ray's inductor tune leads more bracking power in case of inductor in (it's broader than Chamelleon standard inductor). I managed to cast hard 4 g lure with really low Magforce setting '2' (in GekkaBijin Air). It's possible that this Chamelleon spool turned to longer casting than GekkaBijin original spool, but I think I will not do measurements. And the difference is not big.
I put an Alphas SV inductor on my Tatula 150 Ray's long cast spool and it became too wild to use. That spool has a very stiff spring lke a magforce Z or more stiff and a thick inductor. I really liked the braking profile but figured maybe I could get it to be even a little bit more distance tuned. Nope, the skinny Alphas SV inductor took it over the edge so I had to to swap back in the original inductor. I did put the Alphas SV inductor onto my Prorex PE SV spool because it's actually slightly thicker than the stock inductor which is the thinnest SV one I have seen to date and on the faster, bordering on wild, side. The goal is to make that spool a finesse skipping spool for my Fuego CT so I may have to move up to a 17 Tatula SV inductor if the Alphas SV is insufficient. Tinkering is fun and these swaps are easy on SV spools. Nothing like fighting an HLC spring. ](*,)

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:44 pm

Yes, there's no such thing like better inductor or better spring. There's different inductors and different springs. Those don't actually make brake better, those only make brake different. But for certain use modified brake can be better (or worse).
LowRange wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:58 pm
Tinkering is fun and these swaps are easy on SV spools. Nothing like fighting an HLC spring. ](*,)
Was it hard to swapt parts to Z HLC? :o

Have to correct myself...Progressive spring would be better than linear:
But Daiwa actually has made kind of progressive spring in using 2 different rates springs in Boost brakes...

I should order Boost parts and try will it fit to older brakes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:19 pm

Pics comparing the cheap "stream angler" Daiwa style carbon handle to a Daiwa carbon handle. It is more crude but looks good enough and are very cheap at less than $20. Even has milled sides and leading edge.

Stream Angler
Daiwa

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:19 pm
Pics comparing the cheap "stream angler" Daiwa style carbon handle to a Daiwa carbon handle. It is more crude but looks good enough and are very cheap at less than $20. Even has milled sides and leading edge.
Got a link you can share?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:55 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 pm
LowRange wrote:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt3E9tM

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:29 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:55 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:20 pm
LowRange wrote:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mt3E9tM
Thanks!

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 04, 2022 8:06 am

Gomexus has aluminum drag stars. I ordered the purple and black. The purple looks like a Daiwa purple but I will see when it comes in. Cheap too at $15 a piece. For now at least. Cheap good thing on ali have a tendency to increase in price once they catch on. Those carbon daiwa style handles have gone from $13 to $16 already.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed May 11, 2022 6:17 pm

Got that carbon handle from ali. A bit sharp around the ages so i've sanded it with 1000grit. Now its an awesome handle. If i didn't already have a bunch of rcs and studio composite handles, i'd probably upgrade all my handles for these.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 16, 2022 9:01 am

That new Daiwa style nut retainer the Stream Angler handles come with is poorly made and some can have issues keeping the nut in place and will allow it to make a fraction of a turn and handle will get loose. If you get a good one then you're set. The one I had on my Alphas SV has been a problem so I swapped it out for a Daiwa retainer.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon May 23, 2022 5:11 pm

Got some aliexpress stuff in

2 gomexus drag stars

2 cheap handles as candidates for high grip daiwa style knobs

Cheap power handle

Gomexus handle and knobs

Of the two handles I liked the knobs on the blue handle the best because they are very tacky and have a larger diameter than the light type Daiwa knobs. I liked the paddle knobs a little better than stock but has hoping they would be bigger. Unfortunately the knobs I like where riveted to the handle. Every handle down the the cheapest has had screw in knobs with (awful) bearings. This is a new low. Rivited on bearings. Only big boys are usually that cheap. I guess because of the matching blue it would look good on a Coastal 150 SV. Flush and spray grease the shaft as preventative maint in a salt water application I guess since they are non serviceable. A swing and a miss for me.

The $4 power handle looks nice. It is also riveted on but who cares its going a a beater musky rod. The Gomexus 6 point stars in black have a matte finish that matches the Daiwa black on the Alphas SV. The purple is a gloss finish but does not match Daiwa purple. It's close to HH Royal Purple but most closely matches Amo purple. Probably going to sell the purple star and my purple Amo spool as a pair.

Gomexus stuff looks amazing as always. This is there two color metal handle in I think 110mm.