Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
spoon2610
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Anyone tried DIY spools? $29-$40 BFS spools!

Post by spoon2610 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:51 pm

Are these spools shallow and is it made for light line(4to8lb flouro) or heavy line(50lb braid) for pitching, flipping, and skipping?

Thanks
Ricky
:big grin:

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:19 pm

spoon2610 wrote:Are these spools shallow and is it made for light line(4to8lb flouro) or heavy line(50lb braid) for pitching, flipping, and skipping?

Thanks
Ricky
:big grin:
You can use braid but not 50lb lol. Its a BFS spool. Also, funny how fast T3 blue spools sold hah. At least i got one

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:26 pm

The spools are shallow and intended for BFS fishing. I have 24 pound Gliss on one of the Tatula spools and am throwing 5 to 15 grams baits with it. When I originally got the spool, I put 10 pound red label on it and was testing it at a local pond with a variety of baits including a Rick Clunn jerkbait. I have fished this pond a lot and there is a place along the dam where the water off take is that I use to gauge how well rods or reels cast this particular bait. The Tatula with the DIY spool was right up there casting wise with the other reels I have, which include practically every Daiwa that has been made.

At first I was not going to put any type of PE line on these spools, but Gliss has impressed me so much I couldn't resist, and if it breaks I'm only out 40 bucks for the spool, versus 170 plus for a real AIR spool.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:21 am

daiwafan wrote:The spools are shallow and intended for BFS fishing. I have 24 pound Gliss on one of the Tatula spools and am throwing 5 to 15 grams baits with it. When I originally got the spool, I put 10 pound red label on it and was testing it at a local pond with a variety of baits including a Rick Clunn jerkbait. I have fished this pond a lot and there is a place along the dam where the water off take is that I use to gauge how well rods or reels cast this particular bait. The Tatula with the DIY spool was right up there casting wise with the other reels I have, which include practically every Daiwa that has been made.

At first I was not going to put any type of PE line on these spools, but Gliss has impressed me so much I couldn't resist, and if it breaks I'm only out 40 bucks for the spool, versus 170 plus for a real AIR spool.
Have you ever break or heard anyone breaking an air spool with light (10lb or under) braided line? I simply don't believe the fact that a braided line can damage a spool. What i think is really happening is, when a company is telling you to not use braid its because braided line has thin diameter which allows anyone to spool an ultra shallow spool with 30lb+ braid and of course the way you'll be setting up hooks on a 30lb line will be significantly more violent than what you'd be doing on a BFS rod with 6lb line. So instead of telling you to not use brain with X pound test line, they're simply telling you to not use braid at all. Since fluoro/mono has much larger diameter, its simply not possible to spool and ultra shallow spool with 30lb fluoro. I've used many shallow spools and all i use is 8-10lb braided line with a fluoro leader. Never had any issues.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:29 am

silversix wrote:
daiwafan wrote:The spools are shallow and intended for BFS fishing. I have 24 pound Gliss on one of the Tatula spools and am throwing 5 to 15 grams baits with it. When I originally got the spool, I put 10 pound red label on it and was testing it at a local pond with a variety of baits including a Rick Clunn jerkbait. I have fished this pond a lot and there is a place along the dam where the water off take is that I use to gauge how well rods or reels cast this particular bait. The Tatula with the DIY spool was right up there casting wise with the other reels I have, which include practically every Daiwa that has been made.

Have you ever break or heard anyone breaking an air spool with light (10lb or under) braided line? I simply don't believe the fact that a braided line can damage a spool. What i think is really happening is, when a company is telling you to not use braid its because braided line has thin diameter which allows anyone to spool an ultra shallow spool with 30lb+ braid and of course the way you'll setting the hook on a 30lb line and BFS setup won't be the same. So instead of telling you to not use brain with X pound test line, they're simply telling you to not use braid at all. Since fluoro/mono has much larger diameter, its simply not possible to spool and ultra shallow spool with 30lb fluoro. I've used many shallow spools and all i use is 8-10lb braid with a fluoro leader. Never did i have a single problem nor heard anyone having one.
It does make sense. I mean the thing that would crush a spool would be the constriction from a lot of line that has been stretched reverting to its original length. Since PE line has no stretch, then there should be no such constriction. The other thing that could crush or deform a spool would be simply too much force applied directly to it. As long as you don't pull a snag directly from the spool that should be no problem as well

The only spools I have seen crushed were on deep sea reels that had a lot of stretchy line on them and I haven't seen that in person.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 am

I was wondering the same thing. The only thing I could come up with is that, with heavier braid, you'd be fishing heavier baits or flipping, and those hooksets and winching fish out of heavy cover might put a bigger eccentric load on a spool.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:07 am

daiwafan wrote:
silversix wrote:

Have you ever break or heard anyone breaking an air spool with light (10lb or under) braided line? I simply don't believe the fact that a braided line can damage a spool. What i think is really happening is, when a company is telling you to not use braid its because braided line has thin diameter which allows anyone to spool an ultra shallow spool with 30lb+ braid and of course the way you'll setting the hook on a 30lb line and BFS setup won't be the same. So instead of telling you to not use brain with X pound test line, they're simply telling you to not use braid at all. Since fluoro/mono has much larger diameter, its simply not possible to spool and ultra shallow spool with 30lb fluoro. I've used many shallow spools and all i use is 8-10lb braid with a fluoro leader. Never did i have a single problem nor heard anyone having one.
It does make sense. I mean the thing that would crush a spool would be the constriction from a lot of line that has been stretched reverting to its original length. Since PE line has no stretch, then there should be no such constriction. The other thing that could crush or deform a spool would be simply too much force applied directly to it. As long as you don't pull a snag directly from the spool that should be no problem as well

The only spools I have seen crushed were on deep sea reels that had a lot of stretchy line on them and I haven't seen that in person.
Yes, but only with heavy pound test, not #10 braid. A 10lb line will break before doing anything to the spool. If you're pulling out a snag with 40 pound test braid, sure, the spool will and SHOULD deform.

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:39 pm

Unlucky. Just received a mail saying he doesn't have any Blue spools left so my order is cancelled. Waiting until March it is then :cry:

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:53 am

silversix wrote:
daiwafan wrote:Question for those that have ordered from aliexpress? How long has it taken to revive the spool?
Took me 13 days to get the handle. im from Canada.
My orders from weihai fishing usually take between 2 and 4 weeks to receive.

On a side note, I got a set of these spool/palmplate bearings last week and put them in my MB FX73SV this weekend. DIY Spool free-sping time went from 11 seconds with stock bearings to 19 seconds with these bearings. They aren't silent, but they are much quieter than the stock bearing that comes with these spools.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Accessor ... 01258.html

If you order a palm plate bearing of this type at the same time you order a spool the seller will probably swap out the stock bearing with the matching spool bearing if you ask. He actually did that for me on my last order with me even asking. Free upgrades are always nice.

DaveJ

slicksouthpaw
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by slicksouthpaw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:48 pm

anyone use them on 2 gram lures yet?

silversix
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by silversix » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:00 pm

slicksouthpaw wrote:anyone use them on 2 gram lures yet?
I didn't but its a very light spool and with a pair of Air BFS i wouldn't be surprised if you could easily handle 2g. I was easily casting 1/16oz on my SPR which had a much heavier spool.

João Miguel Oliveira
Angler
Angler

Post by João Miguel Oliveira » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:24 am

I've ordered one. When I get it I'll give my opinion

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:54 am

I just got mine in today. It came with the purple air bearings installed. I never seen or used a BFS spool but my first impressions are that it looks extremely well built. The spool tips are a but dull though so I would recommend polishing them.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:26 am

Install a abec 3*10*4 in the steez spool case housing. Spins much smoother than the original bearing that came with. Haven't cast with yet

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:02 am

Interesting. It appears that all of the ported DIY Spools are pretty much sold out now, but there are unported spools available instead. Basically SV Shallow spools now.

~.9 g heavier than the ported models.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 28707.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Accessor ... 3.1.9DfzVk

DaveJ