Storing reel parts while doing maintenance

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Storing reel parts while doing maintenance

Post by adam lancia » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:55 am

What do you guys use to store reels parts in when you're doing reel maintenance? I'm probably going to break my reels down for cleaning but won't get around to actually cleaning them for a while. Also, I don't have a stand alone work space nor a great deal of storage space, about enough slave for 2 or 3 3700 size Plano trays. Ideally, I'd like to keep everything including the frames and side plates together. Any suggestions? I'll have 8 baitcasters to tear down and store. The spinning reels are another concern but I don't plan on getting to those until early on into the new year. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: To avoid further confusion, I'll state why I want to go down this route. I often have chunks of time to myself, 3-4 hours roughly, every couple of weeks. This is the time that I will have to break down, clean and reassemble my reels. The cleaning part is where things get difficult because we have neither a garage, shed or basement where I can safely use solvents. We have 2 cats and a 2 year old and I'd rather not expose them to those solvents, nor do I want them to accidentally mix up the reel parts. Every few months, I get a perfect storm of time, my wife and daughter being out of the house and decent weather to work with the solvents I use to clean them. Until that perfect storm presents itself, the reels are in pieces.

I hope this clarifies my original question. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by adam lancia on Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Storing reel parts while doing maintenance

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:53 pm

I clean my reels one at a time and don't take one apart unless I have time to finish cleaning and reassemble in one sitting.

oe

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:08 am

Hi adam,

I suggest you get some of the plastic bins that sit on a shelf. For fishing gear the 71/2" long ones might be a good size. You can get them in all shapes and sizes. You want it big enough to store the frame, handle and other parts you might want to use. This gives you the ability to leave a project that may need parts or repairs and not worry about loosing parts. The tiny parts can be stored in envelops or small plastic, lidded box that fits into the bin.

Frank

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:04 am

I use a wooden "tv tray" to hold all the parts from one reel as I break them down. I usually only do 1 at a time, but have done a couple at once. I keep the parts for each reel separate though..just use one tray per reel. I also line each tray with a paper towel.

http://guideimg.alibaba.com/images/shop ... 033248.jpg

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:24 am

Unused plano boxes are some of the best tools to store parts. You can sequence parts in the compartments, and label the lid by putting masking tape over the lid. Very useful and something that is usually readily on hand for most of us.
For immediate disassemble/reassemble jobs, ice cube trays are pretty handy too.

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:13 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:I clean my reels one at a time and don't take one apart unless I have time to finish cleaning and reassemble in one sitting.

oe
](*,)

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 pm

BucketHunter wrote:Unused plano boxes are some of the best tools to store parts. You can sequence parts in the compartments, and label the lid by putting masking tape over the lid. Very useful and something that is usually readily on hand for most of us.
For immediate disassemble/reassemble jobs, ice cube trays are pretty handy too.
I was thinking about this too, I'll probably have to use one of the deep boxes to accommodate the frame though. Tiny ziploc bags might be good for the small parts once they're clean. Hhhhmmm, gotta root around in storage and see what I can come up with, thanks for the idea!

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:42 pm

I just sprawl my parts all over the table :lol:

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm

fishingandfords... is there a point to your "head banging"?

oe

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:41 am

Demoman, that's an option, except we don't have the table space for them to stay like that. Plus, we have 2 furry little ninjas and a 2 year old... That's a self-explanatory problem...

The screwdriver in the bottom right corner indicates that I can probably trust you in the future :big grin:

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:41 pm

OkobojiEagle wrote:fishingandfords... is there a point to your "head banging"?

oe

I was also wondering about that. Seemed like a pretty good piece of advice doing one reel at a time as opposed to having 10 reels in pieces. :roll:

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:08 am

Here's what I use. https://www.glad.com/food-storage/conta ... mily-size/

They are cheap and there are many different sizes available. You can find them at the grocery store, or if you're lucky, in your own pantry. :D

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:35 am

Bassmar wrote:

oe

I was also wondering about that. Seemed like a pretty good piece of advice doing one reel at a time as opposed to having 10 reels in pieces. :roll:
X2

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 am

zodiak311 wrote:
Bassmar wrote:

oe

X2
Not that I don't appreciate the advice, but that wasn't the feedback I was after when I started the thread. I could understand if I had asked if it would be a good idea to break down all my reels at once.

Demoman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Demoman » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:28 am

adam lancia wrote:Demoman, that's an option, except we don't have the table space for them to stay like that. Plus, we have 2 furry little ninjas and a 2 year old... That's a self-explanatory problem...

The screwdriver in the bottom right corner indicates that I can probably trust you in the future :big grin:
Ha! Image