Best oil for spool bearings for saltwater use

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best oil for spool bearings for saltwater use

Post by craigrbns » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:09 am

90% of my fishing is on the flats in saltwater. I've used hot sauce for years due to its ability to protect against corrosion and have been happy. However I've decided it is time to start trying some different bearings and oils to try to gain just a bit more casting distance. A lot of the new high end bearing oils are very light and some even state freshwater only. I was wondering what would be the best in terms of casting distance while still providing corrosion protection if the spool bearings are re oiled periodically and not daily. Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best oil for spool bearings for saltwater use

Post by Zimbass » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 pm

I am a purely freshwater fisherman so can not comment on your specific application.

I use Shimano oil, and Cals grease, as well as Alchemy oil. If I was to go saltwater, I believe I may choose TS321.

Discussed on this forum many times before.

Check viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54652&sid=92e9a9b6 ... f3f611f50e

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:51 pm

Yep, TSI 321 is great for saltwater use. The corrosion protection is amazing. I clean and lube every 4 months or so to be sure they are spinning clean and fast.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:28 am

Alan Tani, the salt water reel guru in California is a big believer in TS! 301 dipped spool bearings for salt water fishing. I fish fresh water, but I am now experimenting with TSI 301 dipped pinion bearings instead of packing them in grease. So far so good.

Zimbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Zimbass » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:49 pm

I would be careful with using TSI 301, as it contains solvents that attack plastic, and sometimes may cause issues with anodized parts. Be careful when using 301, or rather stick with TSI 321.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:46 pm

I've been using TSI321 for about 6 months in the salt with great results on my SS bearings. So good that I don't bother with ceramic spool bearings anymore, just use it with hedgehog ZRs and the performance is outstanding. Have also started using TSI 321 on my worm shaft and pinion bearing as an experiment - always greased these in the past.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:06 am

Strewth wrote:I've been using TSI321 for about 6 months in the salt with great results on my SS bearings. So good that I don't bother with ceramic spool bearings anymore, just use it with hedgehog ZRs and the performance is outstanding. Have also started using TSI 321 on my worm shaft and pinion bearing as an experiment - always greased these in the past.
Been using it on my worm shaft/pawl for a while now as well as the roller bearing. Keeps everything protected nicely.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Been using TSI 321 for more than a year now, I fish fresh and salt with great results from protection. Before I started using it and would service reels, I would have corrosion in some of the AR bearings, Pinion Bearings, and handle bearings, not any that I recall in spool bearings and after using TSI 321, I've not noticed any corrosion. I also switched greases to Magnalube G with PTFE, and also started using the Magnalube in trailer bearings.

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:59 pm

The solvent in TSI301 evaporates in about 60 seconds.

williamjbrett
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by williamjbrett » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:06 am

Just had my Shimano Calcutta GT 200 reel serviced by Shimamo factory service in Irvine, CA. Came back all set but with instructions " stop using red reel oil ." I've been using Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil with no problems. Any idea why Shimano would make this recommendation. Thanks guys.

Bill

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 pm

williamjbrett wrote:Just had my Shimano Calcutta GT 200 reel serviced by Shimamo factory service in Irvine, CA. Came back all set but with instructions " stop using red reel oil ." I've been using Quantum Hot Sauce Reel Oil with no problems. Any idea why Shimano would make this recommendation. Thanks guys.

Bill
it stains everything and is hard to clean off.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:21 am

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:Been using TSI 321 for more than a year now, I fish fresh and salt with great results from protection. Before I started using it and would service reels, I would have corrosion in some of the AR bearings, Pinion Bearings, and handle bearings, not any that I recall in spool bearings and after using TSI 321, I've not noticed any corrosion. I also switched greases to Magnalube G with PTFE, and also started using the Magnalube in trailer bearings.
Do you dip the sleeve that runs up through the anti-reverse bearing, too?

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:17 am

I have only just started using TSI-321 but results are promising, and i am finding many uses for it.