SV spool bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
jtesch
Angler
Angler

SV spool bearings

Post by jtesch » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:49 pm

I'm about to grab an Alphas SV and perhaps an SS SV and I upgrade all my reels with Bocas or HH studio bearings. I caught a thread giving a rough translation on Daiwas instructions for setting breaks on the SV spool. What I got out of it is, the SV spool is designed to have a little more spool tension on it and not run super loose like some of us like to do. My thought is if their is going to be spool tension for the Breaks to function properly would that not negate any improvement added by better/faster bearings and couldn't faster bearings actually screw up the SV Spools designed breaking characteristics . I may be Way off base with my thought so would like to here from SV owners

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: SV spool bearings

Post by Cracker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I own Daiwa T3 SV reel with Magforce3D braking system. Swapped stock bearings with ZPI SIC on brand new reel, even didn't fish with stock. Didn't really like it, spool was way too fast, especially on Long Cast mode, too many occasional overruns, put back stock bearings, seems to be better now. Maybe with Alphas SV or SS SV it may be different, because of different braking system.

jtesch
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:26 pm

I've got the t3 1016 and its a pretty controlled caster with stock bearings flushed and lubed

wvbassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by wvbassin » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:28 pm

I added Boca OS7's on mine and like always have improved the reel. I have my spool tension a little tighter than some of my other reels, with my brakes on about 4, and I hardly ever get an overrun. I'getting great distance on a weightless wacky rigged 3" seiko.

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:00 pm

==deleted== *double post*
Last edited by knht on Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knht
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by knht » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 pm

Cracker wrote:I own Daiwa T3 SV reel with Magforce3D braking system. Swapped stock bearings with ZPI SIC on brand new reel, even didn't fish with stock. Didn't really like it, spool was way too fast, especially on Long Cast mode, too many occasional overruns, put back stock bearings, seems to be better now. Maybe with Alphas SV or SS SV it may be different, because of different braking system.
Am really surprised to hear that. I have Hedgehog Air Bearings in my T3SV. Gosh, it cast like a beast be it light or heavy lure, i termed it a casting reel that just dunno how to over-run the line. But the downside is, the SV spool took away the thrill of bait casting :(