Help reel feels grindy

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Help reel feels grindy

Post by reddragon » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:23 am

Ok so I have this old daiwa viento and it wasn't really feeling smooth anymore so I decided to crack it open and give it a fresh clean and re grease and lube. After I put it back together it felt great cranking w/o the spool in. But, right after I plugged in the spool and sideplate the reel just felt grindy. It's smoother than before I did the lube, but with the spool and sideplate on the reel didn't feel so good anymore. Any suggestions to what the problem is? I would love to fix this because it's actually just been sitting around and I'm going to give it away to my little cousin.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Help reel feels grindy

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 am

I post to keep your inquiry on top of this current topics list, as I'm curious what others might say. I do not, nor have I ever owned such a reel, but given it's smoothness without the spool installed one might come to the conclusion your problem is a spool/side plate bearing?

Or I suppose you could have a bad cast control bearing. Maybe. It's my experience anglers sometimes run entirely too much spool tension as a base setting. This may or may not present itself without the spool installed. I think. Outside these possibilities you're going deeper than I care to venture. Good luck.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Does the spool spin easily and quietly when disengaged? The Viento I have is literally the smoothest (and 2nd cheapest) Daiwa I own.

DaveJ

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:01 am

When I free spool it with the clutch bar down I can hear a little bit of noise, but when I reel that's when I can really hear it and feel it. I don't like to set my cast control on too high I always have it to where it has a little side to side play. But I've tried it loose and tight it still feels the same. But like I said without the spool in the reel feels buttery smooth. The cheapest reel I own is a daiwa Tierra and I did a whole strip and relube on it as well and it feels like new. I've been doing reels for a long time but haven't encountered this before, the gears itself don't look stripped or anything...

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:02 am

Hmm. I would guess you have a crooked spool pin or bad bearing under that pin. Try swapping it with a different spool if you have the tools to do it.

DaveJ

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:40 am

I was going to change all the bearings because I have extras, but was busy today. I'll try some more things tonight and update you all. Could it be the gears?? I cleaned them off and they look nice, no chips or marks of wear and tear.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:03 pm

I would think the gears would grind with or without the spool if they were the problem.

If the pinion isn't seating all the way on the spool when engaged it will grind just like you are describing. I would bet your problem is the pinion is damaged or the pin is damaged.

DaveJ

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:05 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:I would think the gears would grind with or without the spool if they were the problem.

If the pinion isn't seating all the way on the spool when engaged it will grind just like you are describing. I would bet your problem is the pinion is damaged or the pin is damaged.

DaveJ
I agree, Dave. The spool pin was my first thought when I read it. To the OP, the damage might not be apparent, but look closely at the spool pin AND the groove in the bottom of the pinion gear. Hold the handle still and see if there is any play back and forth while trying to wiggle the spool front to back. If it isn't that, see if the yoke springs are seated properly and are fully re-engaging the pinion gear to mate with the spool pin. After you engage the reel, push up under the thumb bar and see if it moves up any further.

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:18 am

Going to take the reel out and see how it performs, I don't see anything wrong with it so I don't really know what to do anymore since there really aren't many spare parts.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:34 am

The issue is with the spool or maybe side plate bearing?

reddragon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reddragon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 am

JerryC wrote:The issue is with the spool or maybe side plate bearing?
I swapped bearings and it still felt the same. Unfortunately I don't have a spare spool for this reel. Took the reel out yesterday and it performed fine. It just isn't that smooth anymore.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:36 am

reddragon wrote:
JerryC wrote:The issue is with the spool or maybe side plate bearing?
I swapped bearings and it still felt the same. Unfortunately I don't have a spare spool for this reel. Took the reel out yesterday and it performed fine. It just isn't that smooth anymore.
Ok, then prob the spool pin maybe like everyone else suggested.