Curado 200i bearing upgrade?

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado 200i bearing upgrade?

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:19 pm

I'm picking up a couple of new curados for cranking and wanted yo ask if anyone has seen a benefit in swapping out bearings. Thanks

Tavery5
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Curado 200i bearing upgrade?

Post by Tavery5 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 pm

In my experience flushing and properly lubricating stock bearings will provide a significant improvement over factory lubricated bearings.

ABEC 5 - 7 bearings do offer some performance gain over stock bearings but most benefit comes from the lower inertia required during startup and it typically shows itself with light baits. Casting distance may improve but generally it is not significant, most often it is noticed in less effort required to cast the same of slightly longer distances which also helps prevent over runs.
Corrosion resistance is also enhanced with ABEC 5-7 ceramic hybrid bearings.

My advice is clean and lubricate your stock bearings and see if you are happy, if not then contact your reel service expert and talk to them about either ABEC 5 or 7 ceramic hybrid bearings.
Last edited by Tavery5 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:46 pm

If you have a bearing blaster and some carb cleaner, go for the cleaning. AFAIK, those are the same shielded bearing most Shimano's come with and no amount of soaking and shaking will clean a dirty bearing perfectly, but it might clean out factory grease from a new reel.
I have tried many, many ways to clean bearings. You will see some increased performance by doing them right.
This year, I decided it was easier to buy some orange seal ceramics in bulk and just swap em out. For around 3 bucks a bearing, you can't really go wrong. They come dry and clean and ready to go.
It's so easy to do yourself too, if you are comfortable dissembling your reel. If not, get someone in the know to look after it, or teach you how. It's a 2 minute job requiring a couple of screwdrivers, the right wrench and care to not send the bearing retainer clip into infinity and beyond (put the reel in a large Ziploc and work on it inside the bag to avoid any disasters should the clip fly off).

Lucky1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Lucky1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:27 pm

Thanks guys. I have swapped out quite a few sets of bearings in the past, I just wasn't sure about the performance upgrade on the Curado. Swapping out bearings seems to be noticeable on some reels and some I can't tell. Buy the sounds of it, I will keep the stock bearings for now. I appreciate you taking the time to help :D :D