Hedgehog replacement air bearings

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Hedgehog replacement air bearings

Post by brian1967 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:04 am

Does anyone know what the replacement bearing would be for a 1150 air bearing in their air kit? If so would the 1130 replacement air bearing fit in the same housing? I just got the T3 Air that I want to replace the bearings in but I want the ceramic bearings instead of the standard Air BFS bearing. I can't find the 1130 in ceramic.

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Hedgehog replacement air bearings

Post by brian1967 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:34 am

Or maybe a better question is does anyone know what the ID of their Air housings is?

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:58 am

brian1967 wrote:Does anyone know what the replacement bearing would be for a 1150 air bearing in their air kit? If so would the 1130 replacement air bearing fit in the same housing? I just got the T3 Air that I want to replace the bearings in but I want the ceramic bearings instead of the standard Air BFS bearing. I can't find the 1130 in ceramic.
that is not a size that i have ever seen. the i.d. v o.d. is quite odd for a conventional miniature bearing...so it would have to be based off an air bfs type design. i have the t3 air spool in my ISA v1, and have used the air BFS bearing, and that bearing works quite well. but, i am currently using an A7 ceramic hybrid from Boca....i replaced the bearing that is in the stock bearing sleeve...i have a hedgehog air bearing in the palm plate. i have found this to be a great combination. an orange seal in the palm plate would probably work really well too.

i cannot recall the size for teh bearing you would need from Boca, but i know they have it. if you can, measure it with a slide caliper. if you do not have a caliper, i will get dimensions for you when i get home tonight...just let me know

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:38 am

brian1967 wrote:Does anyone know what the replacement bearing would be for a 1150 air bearing in their air kit? If so would the 1130 replacement air bearing fit in the same housing? I just got the T3 Air that I want to replace the bearings in but I want the ceramic bearings instead of the standard Air BFS bearing. I can't find the 1130 in ceramic.
For the T3 it's the 1150 x 1030 size you want in the katoobi ceramics. If you email HS, he can always tell you without a doubt. The size wasn't listed for my IP, but it was the same as J-Dream. He emailed me back the next day. But I'm 99.9% certain that's the size you need.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:14 am

trent_s wrote:
For the T3 it's the 1150 x 1030 size you want in the katoobi ceramics. If you email HS, he can always tell you without a doubt. The size wasn't listed for my IP, but it was the same as J-Dream. He emailed me back the next day. But I'm 99.9% certain that's the size you need.
that size will not work in the t3 air...the id is 3mm and the width HAS to be less than 4mm..width of the bearing where it meets the machined 'hub' of the spool shaft. 1150 will not work

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:07 am

you can get an orange seal in a 3x6x2.5 that will fit in the stock bearing sleeve on the spool

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brian1967 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:47 am

e_bassfisher wrote:you can get an orange seal in a 3x6x2.5 that will fit in the stock bearing sleeve on the spool
That's nice to know. I almost gave up on getting and answer and I just happened to give it one more look. By chance is the other bearing the same size or do you know what the size is? Unfortunately I don't have any dial calipers. I just got my order yesterday from Hedgehog, they say you can replace just the bearing but have not been able to find where they list the replacement bearings. If I have to reorder ceramics I'd just assume to go to Boca. Thanks for your help ebass.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:45 am

brian1967 wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:you can get an orange seal in a 3x6x2.5 that will fit in the stock bearing sleeve on the spool
That's nice to know. I almost gave up on getting and answer and I just happened to give it one more look. By chance is the other bearing the same size or do you know what the size is? Unfortunately I don't have any dial calipers. I just got my order yesterday from Hedgehog, they say you can replace just the bearing but have not been able to find where they list the replacement bearings. If I have to reorder ceramics I'd just assume to go to Boca. Thanks for your help ebass.
if you are referring to the palm plate bearing, you need a 3x10x4

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brian1967 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Totally off the subject here but popped into Lowe's the other day and picked up their house branded Kobolt tools which they had 1 set of dial calipers left that looked like someone returned cause the package was cut open but taped back together. It has a digital display, a hard case, a battery and a spare battery included which the case had a place to store the extra battery. It was the only one they had and the others were no named calipers. One was a 3 inch set for 19 and the other was 6 inch for 39. So I carried them to the register and asked what the price was since the shelf or the calipers didn't have a price label. The cashier said $ 5.70 and I said SOLD. What a pleasant surprise. Now no more wondering about the size of bearings anymore. :big grin:

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 pm

brian1967 wrote:Totally off the subject here but popped into Lowe's the other day and picked up their house branded Kobolt tools which they had 1 set of dial calipers left that looked like someone returned cause the package was cut open but taped back together. It has a digital display, a hard case, a battery and a spare battery included which the case had a place to store the extra battery. It was the only one they had and the others were no named calipers. One was a 3 inch set for 19 and the other was 6 inch for 39. So I carried them to the register and asked what the price was since the shelf or the calipers didn't have a price label. The cashier said $ 5.70 and I said SOLD. What a pleasant surprise. Now no more wondering about the size of bearings anymore. :big grin:
good job! for any one wanting to tinker with reels, a set of calipers is a MUST have! even at full price, most quality calipers are reasonably priced

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:31 pm

mitutoyo are the best , a 200mm set you can get for AUD $60 , I am a Fitter Machinist by trade so good measuring tools are a must. Starret and Toledo also are good quality.
As for replacement bearings i have seen the replacement air bfs bearings in the bearing section of Hedgehogs E-Bay store.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:26 am

The 1150 is a 5x11x4, and the 1130 is a 5x11x4

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:58 pm

Japan Tackle and Hedgehog Studio both list the T3 spool bearings as Size (5x11x4 / 3x10x4).

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts ... arings.htm
(ZPI SIC ceramic)

OR

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/102
(Hedgehog ZR)

I use the ZR's and they've held up great so far. They are also about $10 bucks cheaper per set than ZPI.

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:40 pm

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:Japan Tackle and Hedgehog Studio both list the T3 spool bearings as Size (5x11x4 / 3x10x4).

http://www.japantackle.com/Tuning_parts ... arings.htm
(ZPI SIC ceramic)

OR

http://www.hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product-list/102
(Hedgehog ZR)

I use the ZR's and they've held up great so far. They are also about $10 bucks cheaper per set than ZPI.
the t3 air and SS air take a very odd size for the spool shaft....so these kits will not work

brian1967
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by brian1967 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:22 am

Ebass,

I measured the bearings (both) with my mew calipers in the BFS's and I came up with 3X6X2 (both were the same size). Do you know of anyone that makes this size in ceramics?