Need Help Removing Paint from TDZ 103ML

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need Help Removing Paint from TDZ 103ML

Post by vertigo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:26 am

I'm removing a bad paint job from 2 of my TD-Z's. Jtesch had a great idea on a post below about keeping the original magnesium and clear coating it. Someone mentioned that the palm side is plastic. My concern is that if I use aircraft stripping paint remover, will it damage the plastic palm side? Should I treat it with something else?

Also, I know that the original grey finish rubbed off quite easily. What type of finish was it? a single coat of paint with a light top coat?

Thanks

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Need Help Removing Paint from TDZ 103ML

Post by Teal101 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:16 am

vertigo wrote:I'm removing a bad paint job from 2 of my TD-Z's. Jtesch had a great idea on a post below about keeping the original magnesium and clear coating it. Someone mentioned that the palm side is plastic. My concern is that if I use aircraft stripping paint remover, will it damage the plastic palm side? Should I treat it with something else?

Also, I know that the original grey finish rubbed off quite easily. What type of finish was it? a single coat of paint with a light top coat?

Thanks
Citristrip will probably work. I used it to strip the ugly cranberry paint Lamiglas puts on their blanks. The rod is still going strong with no adverse effects.

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi, I'm stripping and polishing a couple of td-z too
Not sure if I'll paint them or not.
I've tried a stripping gel on the metal frame and left side with poor results, so I decided for an ultrafine and microfine 3M sponge (800 to 1500 grit)
On metallic parts, under the grey paint, there is a durable and hard to remove, white primer coat.

I hope this may help you
:)

jtesch
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:50 pm

Dremel makes a bunch of different wire brushes including a brass one that I bet would work without scratching the metal. I'm gonna give it a try. the plastic side plate makes life difficult though.

vertigo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vertigo » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 pm

That picture helps a lot. thanks!
Are you taking your reel fully apart when you strip the paint?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:43 pm

I've had good luck with this stuff on some guns when you are ready to clear coat.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1164.aspx

DaveJ

MisterQ
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MisterQ » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:54 am

vertigo wrote:That picture helps a lot. thanks!
Are you taking your reel fully apart when you strip the paint?
No, I'll disassemble the reel!
This is the result of sandpaper and too much enthusiasm!
:D

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:31 am

MisterQ wrote: On metallic parts, under the grey paint, there is a durable and hard to remove, white primer coat.
I'd try to leave that primer on if I were you. Guessing it's a special formula for Mg. May even be an e-coat type process that you're not going to be able to duplicate.

rugbyfisherman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rugbyfisherman » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:56 pm

smalliesteve wrote:
MisterQ wrote: On metallic parts, under the grey paint, there is a durable and hard to remove, white primer coat.
I'd try to leave that primer on if I were you. Guessing it's a special formula for Mg. May even be an e-coat type process that you're not going to be able to duplicate.
smalliesteve is 100% correct. You don't want to remove that coating. It is a conversion coating. Chromic acid dip then primer from the factory. If you've stripped that off I think you are out of luck. Magnesium is very reactive and you won't be able to just clear coat over it.