TD-X handle knob bearing replacement

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

TD-X handle knob bearing replacement

Post by adam lancia » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:59 pm

I want to replace the bearings on my TD-X 103 HVLA but it seems like the knobs are riveted on. Is my only option to look for a replacement handle that doesn't have the knobs riveted on? I'm not a huge fan of the stock knobs and I wouldn't be against a swept handle either, though that would likely mean replacing the drag star too, correct...? Seeing as I only paid $37 for the reel, I'd like to keep the cost of the handle reasonable as well, preferably under $40. TIA!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: TD-X handle knob bearing replacement

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:04 pm

I have a TDZ handle and right handed drag star I'm willing to part with if you are interested. No bearings or knobs included. Just shoot me a PM.

Edit: Oops, the HVLA is the left model isn't it? I actually have a full lefty TDZ handle, drag star, knobs and bearings I'm willing to sell as well. Just got the reel last week and will be upgrading the handle.

DaveJ

jtesch
Angler
Angler

Re: TD-X handle knob bearing replacement

Post by jtesch » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 am

They are indeed a riveted handle. I have tuned up several, nice reel you can pick up cheap. I love swept handles but in my opinion this is one reel that they don't really work on. The balance gets a little wacky with a swept handle and seeing as this is a flipping and pitching reel, a nice 100mm straight handle works well and gives a lot of leverage. Carbon fiber really isn't needed as the reel is pretty heavy to begin with. have fun playing with it.